Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First time winterizing

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
Who has some helpful tips? Spill em'

First time winterizer right here.
Bought our first camper about 5 months ago, sold it a month later and bought another.

Winter is fast approaching here in Illinois.

This is what i know..

I need to open my drains, low point drains and sewer valves. Or do i only do one or the other?

Ive got 2 or 3 low point drains marked on our camper. i havent physically checked them out yet though.

And i need to add antifreeze to my water system.
So do i just introduce some into my feed hose and pour some into my drains?

Thanks!!
21 REPLIES 21

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
10-4

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
LinkedXJ wrote:
fallsrider wrote:
Also, don't forget the shower head if you have a bathtub like we do.

'

A few posts above this, i shared that we do not use the shower.
Actually, the shower has never been used. Ever.

Why would i need to make sure i also service the shower head?

Thanks.

Well you need to get the water out of the lines that run to the shower so just because you didn't use the shower doesn't mean you don't have to winterize that line. So don't winterize the shower and let us know next spring where you had freeze damage.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
fallsrider wrote:

'

A few posts above this, i shared that we do not use the shower.
Actually, the shower has never been used. Ever.

Why would i need to make sure i also service the shower head?

Thanks.

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Dick_B is just that.. A Dick-B....

Trying to make some new friends? :R

Yeah!!

Thats exactly why im hear. To make some new friends.
Thanks for asking!

You have been a fantastic help so far.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
fallsrider wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Not the 'W' word already! It's still August. :E
i agree wholeheartedly. We have 6 to 8 weeks of camping left before I have to think about the "W" word. ๐Ÿ™‚

Heck, we have 6 weeks here in MN before you need to panic. Or, More!

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
....Make sure you take your time and think of all the things that has water run out of them. Make sure the pink stuff runs from each and every one. I missed the sprayer on the sink and had to replace the plastic head before I could head out in the spring. Do you have an exterior shower?....

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Not the 'W' word already! It's still August. :E
i agree wholeheartedly. We have 6 to 8 weeks of camping left before I have to think about the "W" word. ๐Ÿ™‚

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Youtube videos.
Gob's of them.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the pinks stuff and just blow the lines out, put some pink stuff in the sink traps and add some to the black tank as well as toilet bowl. Its easy and clean. When blowing the lines make sure you blow out the outside shower if you have one. Once you get the lines blown out open the low point drains and blow them out as well because they will have collected some water while blowing the lines.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winter is fast approaching in Illinois ????? :E Golly, I thought MN was colder then IL and we have over a month before I even start to think about winterizing. Will be 87 degrees here tomorrow. I don't even thing about winterizing until it gets below 32 degrees for a couple of hours at night. Plenty of time to do searches on this site to find out winterizing tricks.

The tip on taking it to a dealer the first time and watching is a good one too.

westend
Explorer
Explorer

Trying to make some new friends? :R
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer

Anyways.

Thank you so very much to those of you who have chimed in.

A few more details on our camper..

Its a 98 Jayco Designer.
2 grey water tanks, 1 black water tank, 1 freshwater tank.
Fridge/Freezer. No ice maker.
No washing machine

We do not use the shower, we do not use the freshwater tank.
We have our camper parked year around.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are two types of RV anti-freeze, one has propylene glycol and the other has ethanol in it. The propylene glycol is the better choice as explained in the 2 links below. Most vendors stock the ethanol variety as it is a bit cheaper and most don't know the difference. You may have to look around a little harder for the good stuff. I found some locally at an RV repair/parts shop for a few pennies more than everywhere else.

http://mainecamperdealer.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-rv-anti-freeze/

http://www.fraserway.com/discover/blog/fraserway-blog/2013/09/25/battle-of-the-antifreezes

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not add antifreeze to your FW tank or HW tank. This stuff is safe but getting rid of the taste takes longer than you can imagine.

You have gotten some very good advice. Make sure you take your time and think of all the things that has water run out of them. Make sure the pink stuff runs from each and every one. I missed the sprayer on the sink and had to replace the plastic head before I could head out in the spring. Do you have an exterior shower?

Bypass the water heater and drain it by pulling the plug. Replace the plug after it has drained to prevent the threads from rusting.

6 years ago I got my used Airstream. There is no siphon pump in mine and installing one is next to impossible because of the location of the water pump. I asked the dealer what they did and they don't use the pink stuff, other than to pour some down the drains. I just blow my lines, blow them again and make sure everything is free of water. You have to be methodical and careful but it works great, at least for me. It has been 6 years without a problem and I live where it gets very cold in the winter.

The pink stuff is the way to go. Drain the lines then blow them then draw the pink through everything. What can go wrong?
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch