cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camper length for towing

north_mom
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to upgrade the truck camper we now have and I'm not sure how to determine how big a camper we can get that will still clear the hitch for our trailers. One trailer has a flat front, and I suspect the crank handle for the trailer foot could also be a clearance issue. We have an F350 truck w/an 8 foot bed. TIA!
5 REPLIES 5

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
north*mom wrote:
Thanks - great info, I'll check out the Torklift. Our truck is a single rear wheel (not a dually), w/ the 6.0L diesel engine. When referring to length I'm guessing this would be the measurement of the camper from the front of where it sits in the truck bed to the end (including overhang) and does not include the part of the camper that goes over the cab?

correct
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

north_mom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks - great info, I'll check out the Torklift. Our truck is a single rear wheel (not a dually), w/ the 6.0L diesel engine. When referring to length I'm guessing this would be the measurement of the camper from the front of where it sits in the truck bed to the end (including overhang) and does not include the part of the camper that goes over the cab?

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
north*mom wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade the truck camper we now have and I'm not sure how to determine how big a camper we can get that will still clear the hitch for our trailers. One trailer has a flat front, and I suspect the crank handle for the trailer foot could also be a clearance issue. We have an F350 truck w/an 8 foot bed. TIA!

The size camper camper you can get will be determined a lot by whether you have a SRW or a DRW. People will debate where the limit is for a SRW, but the general consensus is a 9-10 foot, no more than 1 slide. Of course, do your research, check weights, etc, don't take my advise as the gospel.

That being said - as others have already said, Torklift Superhitch with whatever length Torklift SuperTruss you need is your solution for towing. I have one of the larger combinations here, an 11 1/2 foot double-slide camper towing a 26' Wells Cargo 10,000lb trailer.

Superhitch is DOT rated and approved to go up to 5 feet of extension. I have a 4 foot extension, rated at 1,200lbs tongue weight, 12,000lbs towing. No other hitch has that rating.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift superhitch. Comes in various sizes. Check it out.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Hitch extension!!!
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon