Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First time winterizing

LinkedXJ
Explorer
Explorer
Who has some helpful tips? Spill em'

First time winterizer right here.
Bought our first camper about 5 months ago, sold it a month later and bought another.

Winter is fast approaching here in Illinois.

This is what i know..

I need to open my drains, low point drains and sewer valves. Or do i only do one or the other?

Ive got 2 or 3 low point drains marked on our camper. i havent physically checked them out yet though.

And i need to add antifreeze to my water system.
So do i just introduce some into my feed hose and pour some into my drains?

Thanks!!
21 REPLIES 21

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
one thing you can do is take it to a dealer and pay them to do it for you the first time and watch how they do it then you can do it the right way and with confidence next year.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Not the 'W' word already! It's still August. :E

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I always pour a container each down into both the black & grey tanks. Making sure both have been drained first. It will help prevent the valves from freezing which can eventually cause the seals to leak. The antifreeze is cheap, anyway.

I blow my lines out first, using the outside show as the exit point for most of the water, it saves on antifreeze and puts less water into the the the holding tanks

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a newer unit, it should've came equipped with a siphon hose already attached to the water pump. I know mine did.

Turn by-pass valves on water heater. turn by-pass valves on pump, so it draws from the jug and not the fresh water tank.

Stick siphon tube into the jug of anti-freeze

turn on pump and work your way from the farthest faucet to the closer one. ( that's the way I do it, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as you get them all)

About 2 gallons does mine.

I don't worry about pouring any in the drains, since that task is complete when you run the pink stuff through the faucet. It goes in the drain already.

Flush the toilet and let it run a few seconds. making sure there is some covering the flush valve. Even in use, you should always take care as to never let the toilet sit empty. keeping water in the bowl help keep the seal from drying out.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the features of your coach, there are many steps to winterizing.

Does your coach have any water filters? Does you coach's refrigerator have an ice maker or washing machine?

Basically, you want to remove all of the water from the systems. The gray and black water tanks should be drained, before you start. The drain for the fresh water tank will do a good job for that. And the drain plug for the water heater should drain it. (I usually open those drains, or plugs and after the water quits draining, I dive to a service station and fill up the fuel tank. The point is to get out any residual water.)

The low point drains for the water lines should not be relied on to eliminate all of the water from the lines.

Hopefully, your coach has a water heater by-pass valve. You don't want to put antifreeze in the water heater tank because it is too hard too flush out in the spring.

And hopefully, your coach has a winterizing valve that allows the water pump to pump antifreeze into the pipes.

That said, here are the steps:

Remove water filtes.

Set the water heater bypass valve to bypass the heater.

Turn the pump valve that allows it to siphon antifreeze to the winterize position.

Put the siphon tube into the antifreeze container and turn the water pump on. (see not below)

Open each hot and cold water faucet one at a time until antifreeze just begins to from the faucet. Don't forget the external shower, if you coach has one.

Press the toilet flush pedal until antifreeze begins to flow. Leave a little antifreeze in the bowl.

Turn off the water pump and turn the winterizing valve back to normal.

Pour a little bit (about a cup) of antifreeze into each drain.

Note: The process of adding antifreeze usually require two people. One outside handling the pump, siphoning tube, and container of antifreeze. Antifreeze comes in one gallon container and one gallon will not be enough. When a container is emptied, the pump must be shut off and the siphoning tube inserted into a new container.

There is one other notable method of winterizing, which involve blowing out the lines with an air compressor, but we will leave that for another discussion.

On edit: I like Dick_B's suggestion.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Water System:

1. Drain the holding tanks and fresh water tank. Close holding tank valves but
leave the fresh water tank drain valve open.

2. Drain the water heater. Leave drain plug out. (Use 6 pt socket) (Never use a brass
plug)

3. Turn valve on the water heater bypass to the "bypass" position.

4. Hand pump the antifreeze into the city water connection or turn the
valve on the anti-freeze injector to the anti-freeze position and put the intake
tube into the anti freeze jug.

5. Turn on the water pump if using anti-freeze injector.

6. Turn on each set of faucets both hot and cold until you pink anti-freeze.
(Start with faucet at kitchen,outside shower, then bath, and toilet)

7. Use some of the remaining anti-freeze to fill the traps in the shower drain and sinks.

Use 3 gallons of anti-freeze.

Tires:

Inflate to 85psi (COLD) before putting into storage. (Normal PSI is 75)

LPGas:

Turn off all appliances.

Shut off LP Gas at tank.

Leave freeze and fridge doors slightly ajar. Use wedge between door and refrigerator and bungy cord shut or use masking tape so doors don't fly open when moving MH.

Disconnect front connection on house battery to break connection.

Check water level in batteries. Spray terminals with protectant.

Remove all foodstuffs from MH and anything that would attract rodents.

Leave 1 roof vent open 1" to allow some air circulation.

Add Fuel Stabilizer to Fuel Tank - see instructions. "Sta-bil" is available at Walmart.
Have engine winterized and oil checked by mechanic.

Todd Fogelberg 10-31-12 Minnesota

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
1st tip. Search this forum for `winterizing' and read on.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)