cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First timers

RPodder
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought an RPod this past weekend. It's also our first time as owners. Our plan was to get a small camper that our Ourback could pull and we found a cute used RPod. My husbands job has re located him about an hour and a half from home so for now he plans to live in the camper.

Any good suggestions for places to stay in the Huntsville Alabama area or 20-30 miles driving distance?
Do most RV parks rent by the month and what is a fair price?
What do we look for in RV parks--how to choose which one?

Any helpful information would be great. We have a little over a week to get this all figured out. He was told about the job move less than 6 weeks ago so we are madly scrambling to get all this done.

Thanks
Bob and Kathy
10 REPLIES 10

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
RPodder wrote:
Someone suggested getting a camping directory. Does anyone use one of the apps on a smart phone?

Several states have the Pocket Ranger that you can download for the state parks...Recreation.gov is a good one. KOA is a good one to look at also..

Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean. Camping season is here....
Mark

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
You might start with the State Park for a week or two and recon the area with respect to location etc. The park is quite nice food at the lodge is good. Not sure of the maximum stay but it could be that if you move site you start anew.

graybeardnc
Explorer
Explorer
Try RVParkReviews.com
Gary

2014 Coachmen Apex 278RLS
2013 F150 Ecoboost

RollTideCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to RVing you guys are going to love it.

RPODDER wrote:
Also, what is the difference between a camp ground and RV park?

Campgrounds = Trees, Trails, Water, leg room at your site.

RVParks = Parking lot (although sometimes nice)

In Alabama the COEs are the nicest campgrounds, then the state parks. Campgrounds usually cost more and have about a two week maximum stay restriction.

PARKS:
Monte Sano is a very nice state park in the area,
Point Mallard is in the Huntsville area and it has long term (its pretty nice as long as you don't get stuck in overflow)

I know the area pretty well so feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Also not having any numbers I would have to agree with everyone on the weights, everything tows nicely until you get some sway from a crosswind (then things can get very ugly).

RPodder
Explorer
Explorer
Someone suggested getting a camping directory. Does anyone use one of the apps on a smart phone?

RPodder
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information posted here. the POD is the smallest one they make. my husband is a researcher off all things and this is the best one we could find for our car towage. we still have about 400 lbs of load we can have so we will be doing a first move with the bare necessities to get him through the week and he will take more when he comes home on the weekends.

We spent several hours at the RV place getting the correct hitch, the sway bar we put on the trailer as will at the trailer break thing you mentioned here was a great option.

Our trip home was about 200 miles and we had no car problems.

Also, what is the difference between a camp ground and RV park? We need to feel safe and comfortable leaving the POD unattended for the weekend.

We are also planning to take the POD to music festivals and camp out for the weekend but need to go back to the same park so if you leave your space, will we be able to get it back again?

thanks
kathy

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will easier for you to Google CG's in the area you wish to stay . The websites will list the prices and policies. (pets, etc)

Here are my thoughts , just some things to research :

Outback tow rating is 3000# with a v6...correct ?

Make sure the Outback has a tow package with the correct hitch receiver . Also, a transmission cooler as well as temp gauge to match it. You will also need a brake controller to activate the trailer brakes.
Any time you plan to tow at max levels, you need to make sure you DO NOT cook (overheat) your transmission.

Never go by dry weights posted in a brochure. Optional equipment is never included because each build is different, therefore the dry weight of every trailer is different.

AS far as I can find, the smallest non slide R-pod will have to be empty in order to tow it with an Outback. IF your R-pod has a slide, it will add a couple hundred pounds to the equation.

If you are making an interstate move as you plan to do, plan on making two trips or taking two vehicles to transport your stuff that you would normally carry in the trailer.

I would also be concerned about the weight be carried in the TV (tow vehicle) being maxed out as well. You can't overload the Outback and tow a "maxed out or beyond" trailer at the same time.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RPodder wrote:
We just bought an RPod this past weekend. It's also our first time as owners. Our plan was to get a small camper that our Ourback could pull and we found a cute used RPod.

Sorry, off topic but I have to ask ....

I'm reasonably familiar with RPods as we almost bought one ourselves a few years ago, know nothing about the Subaru Outback other than it's a pretty small vehicle, and am surprised it would be rated to pull any full height trailer the size of an RPod which isn't exactly "small". Remember, towing any full height trailer isn't just about weight but also overcoming significant wind resistance at highway speeds. I'm also wondering if weight distribution that would be required when towing an RPod be used with an Outback? Just asking as really don't know. :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
rvparky app

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Get a campground directory. Read about them and call them for details. Visit if you have time., Most parks rent by the month, season, and year.
If you find a better one you can always move.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter