cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat tire!!

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
On my way back from New Orleans I had a flat tire on the T.T. I was not able to take the lugs off ,so I call for service. They sent someone, he took the flat tire off and replaced it with the spare. He used a battery drill with an 1/2 inch socket on it. Well we kept going back to Chicago when I arrived I decided to put the original tire back after fixing it of course. To my surprise the lug nuts where loose, here I was thinking that this drill torqued the lugs to specs and that everything was ok. This tire could of came off at any time. What kind of service people are this?:M
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
23 REPLIES 23

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Most service trucks I've seen use an air driven impact drill with a compressor in the bed of their truck. Far higher torque than a typical electric drill. Can easily get lug nuts tight enough. However, they should still use a torque wrench to snug them up to proper specs.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Even if they had used a torque wrench to properly tighten the nuts, they likely would have loosened in a couple hundred miles of travel.

Yes, they should have used a torque wrench for final tightening. They should have also told you that you will have to recheck nut tightness several times, after a wheel removal, the first in as little as 50 miles.

Jerry

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
kennyd63 wrote:
On my way back from New Orleans I had a flat tire on the T.T. I was not able to take the lugs off ,so I call for service. They sent someone, he took the flat tire off and replaced it with the spare. He used a battery drill with an 1/2 inch socket on it. ... To my surprise the lug nuts where loose, here I was thinking that this drill torqued the lugs to specs and that everything was ok. This tire could of came off at any time. What kind of service people are this?:M

Who is this "they" who sent someone?

A drill with a socket will troque the nut to some unknown torque which, in your case, was clearly insufficient. In other words this is a lesson learned - battery operated drill should not be used anywhere hnear a wheel. Even an electric drill. Maybe one of those compressed air drivers with torque sticks in a pinch, but I don't like them. I prefer a torque wrench or tighten by hand.

X2

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless they use a torque wrench to tighten I go behind and usually try and loosen as usually they put them on so tight it' almost impossible to get them off. OP, as others have said...the buck stops with YOU,
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
kennyd63 wrote:
On my way back from New Orleans I had a flat tire on the T.T. I was not able to take the lugs off ,so I call for service. They sent someone, he took the flat tire off and replaced it with the spare. He used a battery drill with an 1/2 inch socket on it. Well we kept going back to Chicago when I arrived I decided to put the original tire back after fixing it of course. To my surprise the lug nuts where loose, here I was thinking that this drill torqued the lugs to specs and that everything was ok. This tire could of came off at any time. What kind of service people are this?:M

There are a couple of important lessons IMO to be learned here for those unfamiliar with properly installing wheels ...

1. Ultimately it is the owner who is responsible for ensuring that their wheels on their vehicles are properly tightened. It shouldn't be that way, but unfortunately my experiences over the last 50 years has proven that is in fact the case.

2. Hand torquing with a good torque wrench for the final tightening is almost a must since even a lot of torque sticks in general use out there aren't that accurate. This is CRITIAL for the newer wheels that use the flat two piece "flat washer" fastening system especailly on wheels that under the higher loads. This difference between 145 and 155/160 can be critical as FORD found out when they changed fastening systems on their 99+ SD trucks. About the only sure way to make sure this happens along with 1 above is to carry your own torque wrench with you at all times.

3. Its important to following the standard recommendation of rechecking the torque after a few miles like 50 to 250 especially with wheels that use the tapered seat fasting system. Almost all TT use that fastening system still. IMO this could be a reason why you find sloppy procedures in tire service since it only takes a couple of hundred miles for a potential issue to arise and once you are over that period there is no way to blame anyone if a failure/issue occurs except yourself so the original installation only has to last that long. I was very impressed that both of my two most recent purchases from Costco came with an offer for me to return to them and actually have them check and retorque my wheels after only a few miles. No other tire installer or dealer had ever made that level of service available before.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
A battery powered drill cannot torque a lug nut to proper spec. Should have been torqued after installation.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
kennyd63 wrote:
On my way back from New Orleans I had a flat tire on the T.T. I was not able to take the lugs off ,so I call for service. They sent someone, he took the flat tire off and replaced it with the spare. He used a battery drill with an 1/2 inch socket on it. ... To my surprise the lug nuts where loose, here I was thinking that this drill torqued the lugs to specs and that everything was ok. This tire could of came off at any time. What kind of service people are this?:M

Who is this "they" who sent someone?

A drill with a socket will troque the nut to some unknown torque which, in your case, was clearly insufficient. In other words this is a lesson learned - battery operated drill should not be used anywhere hnear a wheel. Even an electric drill. Maybe one of those compressed air drivers with torque sticks in a pinch, but I don't like them. I prefer a torque wrench or tighten by hand.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Usually supposed to re-torque after 50 miles on any wheel, RV or automotive.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
The lug nuts need to be re-torqued after the wheel is changed out. I bet that there is a warning sticker somewhere around your wheel wells that tells you to retighten the lug nuts a couple of times.

A good torque wrench is very important to make sure your lug nuts are properly installed.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.