cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flooded my new Laredo

lly-zf6
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new '14 Laredo 274RB about 3 weeks ago.
Sunday night after washing it I decided to fill the fresh tank for the first time as we are going on a dry camping outing this weekend.
As I stood outside waiting for the water to come out the vent (tank full), water began pouring out under the trailer wall. I got the water shutoff and pulled the tank drain under the waterfall that was exiting the trailer.
After tearing the cover off the hoses/water pump in the bedroom, I discovered that the vent line was never connected to the vent on the outside of the trailer.
We sucked up all the water that we could. About 5 gallons from the bedroom carpet.
My question is, what are the chances the floor is going to warp or buckle once everything dries out. Fixing the hose is a 5 minute job. But I'm worried about any long term damage.
15 REPLIES 15

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest problem isn't the carpet. The concern is if the water penetrated into the insulation under the floor. The waterproof membrane will hold the water in the insulation while the floor rots.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

westend
Explorer
Explorer
lly-zf6 wrote:
After looking at the trailer a little closer, it appears that they laid a vinyl floor down on the entire trailer deck and just put the bedroom carpet over top of it. Hopefully this kept the water from getting to the subfloor. Time will tell I guess.
This is the third new Laredo we have had. We traded an 07 29RL for this one. Had to purchase from a different dealer than our local one in order to get a trailer with the options we wanted. So far I have had to repair more issues caused by poor workmanship during assembly in the first three weeks than I did in 8 years with the last one.
I am VERY displeased with Keystone's current quality. Once I get all their crappy assembly problems fixed, it will probably be a good unit, but I will be looking elsewhere when it come time to replace it.
Mine was the same. As long as you removed the water immediately, you'll be OK. There are thousands of homes built where the sheet goods on floors, walls, and roofs get a good soaking before they're covered.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
lly-zf6 wrote:
After looking at the trailer a little closer, it appears that they laid a vinyl floor down on the entire trailer deck and just put the bedroom carpet over top of it. Hopefully this kept the water from getting to the subfloor. Time will tell I guess.

Mine is also like that and I think most trailers are since it's easier to just lay a complete sheet of vinyl over the entire deck and then install things like the walls, cabinets and then the carpeting options over the existing vinyl.

This is the third new Laredo we have had. We traded an 07 29RL for this one. Had to purchase from a different dealer than our local one in order to get a trailer with the options we wanted. So far I have had to repair more issues caused by poor workmanship during assembly in the first three weeks than I did in 8 years with the last one.
I am VERY displeased with Keystone's current quality. Once I get all their crappy assembly problems fixed, it will probably be a good unit, but I will be looking elsewhere when it come time to replace it.

Unfortunately, as a society our demands and emphasis on the bottom line has driven almost all sectors of manufacturing to the same goals even more than their prime motivation as profit already is and it's left to us a consumers to pick up the slack with extra due diligence.

For several decades (yes that's 10s of years) I only used the onboard tank and FW pump for water for fear of leaks, etc., but have in the last 10 or 15 years gotten away from that practice since I have yet to run into any previously feared problem. I guess I'm now toying with fate that at some point will grab the tender parts of my body and give me a "WAKE UP CALL" so to speak.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

lly-zf6
Explorer
Explorer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good lord, a brand new unit and now this. I feel for ya man...
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
OSB has a nasty habit of swelling when wet. Let it dry out and take it up with the dealership/Laredo
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
lly-zf6 wrote:

I decided to fill the fresh tank for the first time as we are going on a dry camping outing this weekend.
As I stood outside waiting for the water to come out the vent (tank full), water began pouring out under the trailer wall.
After tearing the cover off the hoses/water pump in the bedroom, I discovered that the vent line was never connected to the vent on the outside of the trailer.

Not for nothing, but did your selling dealer set up the trailer for your PDI with ALL systems connected/prepped, including a full fresh water tank? Just my opinion, but Keystone is responsible for the shoddy assembly, and your dealer bears some responsibility if the PDI didn't include a fully filled water tank to insure something like this didn't happen. Maybe not all dealers do it, but the dealer we bought our new TT from in 2012 had it fully connected to everything including a full FW tank and tied to sewer so we could be shown and check for ourselves the operation of every system in the trailer.

Sincerely hope Keystone stands up and makes this right for you and without an argument.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I was checking out the water system at home on the new TT and turned the outside shower on. And heard water spraying - from INSIDE the trailer. Turnes out the shower hose was never fully tightened on the diverter valve, and it's inside the trailer. Water ran towards the nose, under the bathroom cabinet and electrical center, and came out near the slide.
After I tightened the hose I pulled the bathroom drawers and converter and put an electric heater on low blowing into the drawers and out the converter opening. Two days later I put it all back together.
That was last year, there's no damage that I can see.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We woke up one morning to over 2" of standing water in our 5vr living/kitchen.
Water was pouring out under the slideouts/under entry door and had flooded our site plus one other.........obviously water had run for several hours.

At first we used a squeegee.......then a wet vac. 20 gallon wet vac that we filled/dumped 3X.

Decided that best to yank carpet/linoleum......afraid of water damage to sub-floor.
Sub-floor was damp but dried quickly using fans, running furnace, windows/door open.........air movement.
Not one bit of problem with sub-floor.

BUT did have an issue with one area of slide out flooring.
The carpet in slideouts didn't feel wet so we concentrated on the main living area flloring.
Well should have checked slideout flooring better.......one corner had pooled water under the carpet & barrier. That area of flooring swoll up and then crumbed into a large gaping hole.
Whole floor in slideout had to be replaced. That's a whole different game.

Good chances it would have been OK also....IF we had properly addressed it sooner.

Sorry for your issue. It sounds like you have minimized your potential for damage BUT.........
Sub-floor needs to be exposed and dried out.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the wonderful world of RV ownership! First trip out with our new Terry and I was so excited to have a new factory-installed black tank flush. I got to the dump station, connected the hose and proceeded to flush. Within a minute there was water pouring out of the back of the TT! What the #$%^&*??

Went inside and one of the elbows that connected to the pex coming from the flush connection was missing a crimp ring and the connection blew apart as soon as I connected the hose! Fortunately, this was right inside the back wall, under a cabinet where the HW heater is. Vinyl on the floor and all the water drained out.

All you can do is dry it out and hope for the best. Keep an eye on it down the road for any signs of mold, etc.

lly-zf6
Explorer
Explorer
we had the carpet scrubber on it sucking out all the standing water within a half hour of the flood.
Hopefully all will be ok.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd get some fans on the carpet or even pull it. The rest of the floor had surface runoff so you should be OK. OSB and plywood withstands getting wet without a problem. It's when it is immersed or has water standing on it that it becomes an issue.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Hope this gets sorted out soon. Hell of a thing to happen during summer break.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

lly-zf6
Explorer
Explorer
I took pictures and reported it to the dealer.
Unfortunately they are 2 hours away from me.
I have requested a copy of the report they filed with Keystone.
Called Keystone, but I sure didn't get a warm and fuzzy that they gave s**t what my concerns are.