Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 2011 6.7

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
Without starting world war 3-4 or 5...

My brother in law has a 2015 Ford f-250 XL with the 6.2 gas and he pulls a 33' TT with ease... He may have stumbled onto a deal that he cant refuse on a 2011 F-250, lariat, loaded with 6.7..

What are the takes on that engine from real time users.. not haters, or others..
32 REPLIES 32

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
In case anyone doesn't know, I am not a "Ford guy".

That said, I have two friends with pre 2015 trucks that both have had the radiator replaced. One has had a turbo.

All vehicles have potential problems. I just replaced the power steering pump and the fuel pump on my '12 Cummins.

Look hard enough, and you will find "common issues" with everything.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

I edited this so I didn't stoop to your level.... Not worth engaging..

Have a great night
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
^^^^ I would have never guessed that would have been your comments.. typical lump in anything you may have heard online second hand and toss it out there to see what may stick

LMAO, this coming from a "Ford truck guy" LOL.

OP why don't you do some reading from the links below and make up your own mind? BTW, Ford made a ton of changes to the 2015 up engine. It costs a lot of money for manufactures to make changes. That tells you a lot right there.

Turbo, after turbo after turbo. This ^^^^ is the exact reason the 15^ 6.7 went with a completely different turbo.

We will all join the radiator club.

This is why the radiators fail. Go to around 12:30.

CP4 pump failure. 15 grand + anybody?

Glow Plugs make the engine go boom!

Crack, crack, crack go the 6.7 valves.

Boom go the engine when the valve head pops off.

19 pages of yee haw Ford 6.7 engine.

After reading all the links provided OP, I will let you decide who knows what they are talking about. This is just a small sample. Just Google 6.7 powerstroke problems and see what "common" problems pop up. This is why I recommend a 15+ if you want a Ford diesel. Or the great old 7.3. That was a very good engine. The 6.2 gas engine he has is also a great engine.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I actually owned one, 2012, and had no issues. Pulled a fiver close to 16K through the mountains of Tn. and NC with no problems. Sounds like you have found a good deal on one.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, complete BS coming from TnP again with NO direct experience with the vehicle, just spouting off info he read about and is trying to support his agenda again.
I love me some land yachting

^^^^ I would have never guessed that would have been your comments.. typical lump in anything you may have heard online second hand and toss it out there to see what may stick
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
If you like turbo problems, valve problems, radiator problems, lower bearing problems and glow plug problems go for it.

If you want one of these things get a 2015 up.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.... He told me that it was $27,000.00...no bickering price... We looked online for comparable trucks and that seems like a good number, especially with only 35k miles on t.

Bob_Sue
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2011 also came from Florida, and has been a great truck. Have had rad replaced, and turbo hose. But for what I use it for, pulling a 35ft 5th wheel, it has been out west a few times in the Mts, and just recently into NY aderondaks. Pulls the trailer great, no hesitation on hills, good control on downhill. I recommend if the price is right.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The concern is the truck has been in Florida since new, sitting on a bay, 1/2 mile from the Gulf... I would be concerned with rust myself.. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well maybe but don't recall ever seeing a rusting body on a vehicle of recent vintage that was kept in Florida. The major problem in body rusting so far as I know is road salt which you will find has zero usage in Florida. But check for it by all means.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Aka the breeze wrote:
The concern is the truck has been in Florida since new, sitting on a bay, 1/2 mile from the Gulf... I would be concerned with rust myself..

A close inspection of the brake lines and fuel line should be done. Likely they will have to be replaced, sooner or later.

That was before the Super Duties went to aluminum body, so expect body corrosion, especially around the rear wheel wells and bottom of the doors and rear cab corners. None of these are "structural", but they don't look nice.

As an 8 year old vehicle, expect the normal "maintenance" items, brakes (including calipers), shocks, etc.

If the "price is right" and some of the repairs can be DIY, then it probably is a good deal.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.7L is far superior to the 6.4L and 6.0L. Like all modern diesel engines its horsepower and fuel economy are severely hampered by emissions.

The 6R140 transmission is a bit better than the 5R110.

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Without knowing the full fueling and maintenance history, I would make the purchase under the assumption it may need a high pressure fuel pump eventually. I thought he valve problem was only on the cab-chassis units, but that could very well be a misunderstanding on my part. The rest of the truck, including the transmission, should be solid assuming no rust-through. Coming up on 8 years old, I would also suspect steering components and driveline may need wear parts soon.

Good points... The truck is owned by an elder man that took it to Ford for every service needed, with full history available.

it was used a a glorified grocery getter and to put a few small items in the bed every so often.

The concern is the truck has been in Florida since new, sitting on a bay, 1/2 mile from the Gulf... I would be concerned with rust myself..

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Without knowing the full fueling and maintenance history, I would make the purchase under the assumption it may need a high pressure fuel pump eventually. I thought he valve problem was only on the cab-chassis units, but that could very well be a misunderstanding on my part. The rest of the truck, including the transmission, should be solid assuming no rust-through. Coming up on 8 years old, I would also suspect steering components and driveline may need wear parts soon.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Being first year model of the 6.7, they had some teething pains. Some large, some small, but still better than their predassesors.
Being 8 years old now, would presume the problems already happened or aren't going to...maybe.
Other than that the exhaust brake function is anemic compared to the others. That didn't get better until 2015? I think.

Given the choice, apples to apples, I'd still 100% get a comparable Dmax or Cummins over the early Ford 6.7 years.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold