Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 2011 6.7

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
Without starting world war 3-4 or 5...

My brother in law has a 2015 Ford f-250 XL with the 6.2 gas and he pulls a 33' TT with ease... He may have stumbled onto a deal that he cant refuse on a 2011 F-250, lariat, loaded with 6.7..

What are the takes on that engine from real time users.. not haters, or others..
32 REPLIES 32

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
OP -

The MFG forums as some listed here in this forum are rich with owners/operators. I would Google and check them and you may get a better answer to your question. At some time I am going to a 3/4 ton diesel and some posts here can scare me out of it, but the other forums will also have fixes and costs associated.

Aka_the_breeze
Explorer
Explorer
thank to all for your input... and thanks to others for turning this into WW3 because of personal innuendos . .

i guess I should have known better....

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Interesting topic is when there was a reported Duramax failure on this site recently, your presence on that thread was crickets.

???? if you're talking about the LBZ that overheated and blew a headgasket you would be wrong. I did comment on that thread.

I'm very familiar with the LBZ; the gold standard of diesel engines. Trucks with this engine in it are still commanding crazy prices because of this engine. If you doubt me just ask Rickatic!!! :B (If some other thread post it up, because I missed it.)

The LBZ was in the 6.0 era. Do you really want to go there and compare the two? If you do; I'm game! :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
The glow plug theory came from the fact that Ford issued a TSB that called for removing a glow plug to check for damage. Under certain engine performance problems a broken valve can be quickly found because that will destroy a glow plug. It is not a glow plug issue, it is a valve issue on vehicles built before 3/29/2011. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Not according to this Ford diesel tech. According to him and his TSB's from Ford these GP's were manufactured incorrectly. True? 2011 glow plug failure.

As far as the valve issues go, not true. The TSB went from 2011 to 2016. The valve issue did not end at 4/1/11. If the valve nightmare ended at 4/1/11 believe me, Ford would not be changing parts numbers and valves 4 times.

Noticed that Ford went with (at least) 4 versions of valves! As you can see, the last version (at least by this bulletin) was changed on March 2014.
Was this the last version? I don't know? (I would guess not?)

I do know the valve issues slowed WAY down after the 2015 engine fixes were put in place. 2016 and on "I" haven't heard of any valve issues so it's safe to say that Ford got a handle on this issue after 2015. Notice I said "I." That doesn't mean they didn't happen. It just means I don't hear about it anymore. Pre 2015 I heard a LOT about the valve issues. Hence my recommendation of a 2015+ if buying a Ford diesel.

outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Outstanding internet amplification by Turtle...

Op,
I have a '12 6.7PSD with 159k miles and the engine hasn't been touched to date except for the serpentine belt replaced this year. Having said that I would stay away from a 6.7PSD that was built before 4/10. Otherwise I'm sure he'll enjoy years of reliable service.

Is this over amplification Troy?

OP just listen what Bill says the "common" problems were with this engine between .23 and 1 minute. Note common is in quotes. He said it, not me. I'm just agreeing with him.

Fish do you disagree with an expert who does this for a living? Really? :R I think it funny this truck is out of TX. Could it be someone you know Troy? :B "valve problems; we've seen this over and over." (just like I've said)

I think Bill knows just a little bit more about Ford diesels than both me or you. He makes a very good living at fixing them.

BTW I remember when you used to say the 6.0 was a good engine. Then the 6.4 and now the 6.7. How did that recommending the 6.0 or the 6.4 work out for you? :B What you say now about he 6.0 or the 6.4? :B

In closing; all you experts and fan boi's out there that know a lot more about these engines than Bill does feel free to call him at (770) 931-4070 and tell him he is wrong. Be sure to record it because I would love to hear this. :B

Turtle hence the reason I recommended to purchase a truck built after 4/10.

My cousin is a diesel mechanic and his experience in a Ford shop is no where near your Internet Amplification. As a matter of fact last year he's been working more on gas powered trucks as the mechanics have become more diverse simply because the overall repairs have significantly dropped.

Interesting topic is when there was a reported Duramax failure on this site recently, your presence on that thread was crickets.

Obviously you don't know how many of these Super Duty's are running around Texas and that's no "Internet Amplification".
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe $27K is market value for that 2011, don't know, but it would be more than I would pay. But you could buy a brand new Ram Tradesman diesel for barely over $40K.

I am impressed with both the Ford and the Ram diesel offerings. Both have impressive trucks.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
A new service engine from Ford is $6549.07, details here: Engine

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I feel sorry for this guy:

"Had the truck towed to dealer and today find out the 1st and 5th cylinder are showing nothing. They removed the oil pan and crankshaft is jumping around freely. The long block is shot. The short block is shot and apparently the turbo and all. The sympathetic diesel mechanic felt terrible telling me that the entire engine and components need to be replaced.

The damage: $24,233.67........ Although he can tell I immediately shut the truck down due to no evidence of blowback in the exhaust, he said it was a possibility that I could be required to pay another $3,000-$4,000 if the exhaust showed damage after engine replacement.

I have no idea what to do. This truck cost $60,000++ and is only 3 years old with 124,058 easy miles on it. I owe money on it still so I am at a loss. "

And that's why I bought a Hemi last time. $30,000 for an engine in a 3 year old truck with 124k on the clock? OMG.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I think the stated prices for a 6.7 replacement are high. No one in their right mind would put a new crate engine in a seven to eight year old truck. Junk yard (from crashed trucks) engines are now easily available. Should be able to turn it around for 10 grand or less. Anyone done it yet? I am the proud owner of a 12 with 60k, almost all towing miles, and so far just filters and oil. Coolant will have to be changed soon. The only real problem was a trailer brake module, replaced for free by Ford.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The glow plug theory came from the fact that Ford issued a TSB that called for removing a glow plug to check for damage. Under certain engine performance problems a broken valve can be quickly found because that will destroy a glow plug. It is not a glow plug issue, it is a valve issue on vehicles built before 3/29/2011. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Op,
I have a '12 6.7PSD with 159k miles and the engine hasn't been touched to date except for the serpentine belt replaced this year. Having said that I would stay away from a 6.7PSD that was built before 4/10. Otherwise I'm sure he'll enjoy years of reliable service.

Is this over amplification Troy?

OP just listen what Bill says the "common" problems were with this engine between .23 and 1 minute. Note common is in quotes. He said it, not me. I'm just agreeing with him.

Fish do you disagree with an expert who does this for a living? Really? :R I think it funny this truck is out of TX. Could it be someone you know Troy? :B "valve problems; we've seen this over and over." (just like I've said)

I think Bill knows just a little bit more about Ford diesels than both me or you. He makes a very good living at fixing them.

BTW I remember when you used to say the 6.0 was a good engine. Then the 6.4 and now the 6.7. How did that recommending the 6.0 or the 6.4 work out for you? :B What you say now about he 6.0 or the 6.4? :B

In closing; all you experts and fan boi's out there that know a lot more about these engines than Bill does feel free to call him at (770) 931-4070 and tell him he is wrong. Be sure to record it because I would love to hear this. :B

outside the fire"

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad

Op,
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
In case anyone doesn't know, I am not a "Ford guy".

That said, I have two friends with pre 2015 trucks that both have had the radiator replaced. One has had a turbo.

All vehicles have potential problems. I just replaced the power steering pump and the fuel pump on my '12 Cummins.

Look hard enough, and you will find "common issues" with everything.

Not exactly true.

For instance: Will the CP4 ever fail in "your" engine and shrapnel your whole fuel system to the tune of 15+ grand?

Will a glow plug ever brake off on your Cummins and blow the whole engine up?

Yes or no?

I don't think so. I'm talking catastrophic problems. Like when a glow plug breaks off that is a catastrophic problem. When a CP4 pump lets go; that's a BIG catastrophic problem. When a valve head pops off it will cause you 20 grand+ for a new engine. All of these were common for 2014 down 6.7's no matter what the fan boi's say.

I'm not talking clogged turbos or oil leaks here. I'm talking big problems that will ruin your day for a long time.

Like I said. I will let the OP make up his own mind after a little reading. If he thinks all is good after a little reading, so be it.

BTW, I would caution the same thing about buying a first gen D-max with stock injectors. I've done it on here before. They will go out and cost you 5 grand to find out. I guess that makes me a GM hater too? :R

outside the fire"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 2011 f350 diesel. It was my first Ford and I was very impressed. The wastegate made a ticking noise within the first couple days of new and so the turbo was changed under warranty. I put about 100,000 trouble free miles on it before trading it for a 2016. I would expect he could find a 2015 for not a whole lot more money which is what I would do if I was looking for a used truck.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5