cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 6.8 Y pipe mod opinions/ recommendations

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
While I was under the Excursion to fix a rusted cat converter hanger I noticed that y pipe to converter flange bolts were heavily corroded also. So this presents a good opportunity to do the y pipe mod while I replace the flange bolts. Did the exhaust manifold bolt replacement two years ago and put new y pipe down tube studs on the manifolds then so the top part of the y pipe should come off pretty easy. Anyway looking for opinions from 6.8 owners who have done the mod.
Have u noticed any improvement in MPG or power wise?
Have u noticed any exhaust flutter that the restricted stock y pipe was to have cured?
Where did u get our y pipe?
I am considering replacing the trash can sized muffler as well since its hangers are about done as well. Would like to go with a mild performance muffler there but not too loud as we do haul the family around in it. I put a Corsa system on the Wife's Mustang Gt and that thing barks loud enough.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends
9 REPLIES 9

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response and input everybody. It is appreciated.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Nosedive
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the y-pipe from 5 star tuning. I ordered their kid that came with intake, tuner, and y-pipe. The y-pipe came in before everything else so I had it installed and we left that weekend to go camping so I had an opportunity to tow with it with only the y-pipe done. While not a tremendous difference, it did seem to make better power. That power came after the intake and tuner install.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
IMO any improvement would be of the anecdotal variety. If the Y pipe needs replacing no harm in using an aftermarket type.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
Banks sales a better Y pipe for the Ford V-10, but wont do much by it self, will need headers, better flow thru exhaust and cold air intake to make more HP.

No signle mod to the exhust does anything unless you start at the air filter intake and all the way thru to end of exhaust with upgarded mods than you can have the HP/Torque increase.

Yes, the Y pipe mod alone makes an improvement!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Banks sales a better Y pipe for the Ford V-10, but wont do much by it self, will need headers, better flow thru exhaust and cold air intake to make more HP.

No signle mod to the exhust does anything unless you start at the air filter intake and all the way thru to end of exhaust with upgarded mods than you can have the HP/Torque increase.

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Had a local muffler shop do mine aboot 2-1/2 yrs ago. No louder, but I feel it does sound different slightly. Feels more responsive to pedal, maybe a very slight mileage increase, and does seem to have a bit more highway power. No "flutter", sometimes a soft drone in the 1600-1800 rpm range. Never have felt it wasn't worthwhile.

Also, no tuner or other engine mods to EX.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The y pipe mod does not make it louder. It takes the kink out of the exhaust ford put in it back in 2000 because 1% of the owners complained about some type of noise. I don't have any odd exhaust noise after the mod.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with the V-10 specific mods you mention, except replacing the muffler. A nice rumble is pleasant sounding... until you are towing. Then that endless drone can get old fast. Everybody in the vehicle needs to speak louder. You have to play the stereo louder. And it goes on for hours. It was very hard to get my wife to go camping after I modified the exhaust on my old F150, even though it was mild. JMHO
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the Y pipe mod years ago (SPD) but I also did the tuner at the same time. So I couldn't tell you if it made a difference. I did notice that I had slight carbon tracks coming from the exhaust flanges before the Y pipe mod. Now I don't see that anymore, so that tells me the restriction is gone. I have no flutter from the exhaust.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is