cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ford ecoboost

boingram
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all...my wife and I r going to buy a larger tt in the 7500 pound range. The new ford f150 ecoboost properly equipped is rated at 11300 with the 3.73 limited slip dif.

The f250 superduty w diesel is way overkill and another 20k in cost.

Anybody had experience w the ecoboost....340 pound feet of torque btw...thx.., bo
83 REPLIES 83

NiasWagn
Explorer
Explorer
gunner65 wrote:
Whitehawkmn wrote:
2013 Ecoboost XLT loaded pulling a Jayco Whitehawk 28DSBH. We traveled from Central MN to the Black Hills this June and LOVED the truck. We had plenty of power and when semi trucks tried to pass on hills they always dropped back and we held our speed. The torque is amazing. The only thing I wish ours had was folding mirrors. But I was too thrifty to go with the Lariat. Amazing truck for just over $32,000.

Im in the middle of a weekend test drive of a 2012 EB max tow SCRW Cab. I will sign the papers on Monday if all goes well. Heading out to test tow my TT in a minute. Looks like your trailer is nearly identical in dry and tongue weight to mine that gives me hope. Im lucky to have a brother in law who owns a car lot so I can do this. I will report back when I finish. The road that my tt is stored on has a deep vally that drops to a river then climbs sharply back up that should be a nice test as I know how my avalanche performs there.

Now unloaded this truck will put a smile on anyones face the acceleration from a dead stop is amazing. Going to be hard to keep the tread on rear tires!

Not sure if it has changed since 2012 (which I have) but my book says not to tow for the first 1K miles. FWIW
2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly

MO_Rookie
Explorer
Explorer
I own one and love it no regrets I bought fx4 with max trailer tow eco boost

gunner65
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
One of my biggest concerns with buying an Eco-Boost engine was how long will it last. I have never traded a truck in with less than 200,000 miles, in fact the last one I gave to my grandson because the dealer really did not want to give me much for it.

I hope the eco-boost lasts, it give good performance and mileage. Only time will tell.

I am much more concerned (as an engineer) about the crazy mass of electronics, sensors, and small motors that run the rest of the truck than I am about putting the miles on the engine.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
One of my biggest concerns with buying an Eco-Boost engine was how long will it last. I have never traded a truck in with less than 200,000 miles, in fact the last one I gave to my grandson because the dealer really did not want to give me much for it.

I hope the eco-boost lasts, it give good performance and mileage. Only time will tell.
MO is that material science and engineering just get better. You should have little problem getting 200K as long as you do the proper maintenance and run the engine within it's design guidelines.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:

Edit: this thread will be dead in a day or 2...then we'll wait another week for a new similar one to begin.

:W Probably so. Fun subject to debate, even though, as windpusher stated, one size doesn't fit all.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

windpusher
Explorer
Explorer
I think it all comes down to what you want and need. People in different circumstances with different needs will make different choices. Its not an all size fits one. I am retired and camping is a hobby. We might take extended vacations now but the longest trip we have envisioned will be 30 to 90 days. We are also now on a fixed income and don't want to put all of our assets into our hobby. In addition it might be we will go to a one vehicle family sometime in the future. If its our everyday runner I do not want to spend all my money at the gas station. Sorry but back to the subject. If you know that you are going to pull a 7,500 lb trailer and you know what your budget can comfortably handle with enough left over to still enjoy the hobby you should do okay. Just one more thought, we keep our vehicles on average 8 to 10 years and always buy new. Will that truck work well for you 3, 4, 5 years or longer down road?

waltah
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:

Yes, the engineers have figured out how to get more power (or equal power) from smaller engines compared to their big block predecessors. However, when I drive down the road today, I'm sure to see plenty of older model fords and chevys on the road with the 454's and 460's. I'll even see some dodge rams with the older 360's. They'll be hauling big trailers just like they've done from day one. 20 years from now, how many ford EcoBoost trucks will we see that are still holding up? A V6 engine that's made to do the same as a V8 engine? Burn it hotter, pump more air, put higher stress on components. It's not a recipe for long term success.

Burn hotter? higher stress? On a low rpm intercooled turbo motor with better oil and water cooling than an ancient v8 engine revving at 5k RPMs? Oky doky...

See plenty? I dont see anything much older than late 90's trucks pulling rigs up here. There's alot more to worry about than the engine as well. transmissions, diffs, axles, etc. Not to mention frame and suspension corrosion.

are push rod v8's reliable? some are, some arent. Drivetrains? ticking time bombs on a lot of the older ones.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH
1997 Fleetwood Wilderness M29S (sold)
2013 EcoBoost 4x4 XLT SCREW: 157"wb, Max Tow, 3.73 E-locker (1800#Payload/7700#GVWR/11,100#Max trailer): 5star tuned

waltah
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:

But still, it all comes back to being safe. When that heavy crosswind grabs ahold of your 8K trailer connected to your 5K truck, let the tail wagging begin.

Weird, my 5900# curb weight EB F150 pulled my 7100#GVWR trailer through the Adirondacks and Appalachians (500miles, 200+ with inclement weather (rain/wind)) with no sway control, only WD. No sway, no drama. Just hit cruise control between 55-65 and rolled on.
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH
1997 Fleetwood Wilderness M29S (sold)
2013 EcoBoost 4x4 XLT SCREW: 157"wb, Max Tow, 3.73 E-locker (1800#Payload/7700#GVWR/11,100#Max trailer): 5star tuned

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup-Logging truck empty-27,000..Loaded-80,000 lbs or 53k on the trailer,double the tractor weight.

Here are some curb weights from 1976 Fords..

F-100 - 3590 lbs
F-150 - 3805 lbs
F-250 - 3910 lbs
F-350 - 4515 lbs
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
majorgator wrote:

But still, it all comes back to being safe. When that heavy crosswind grabs ahold of your 8K trailer connected to your 5K truck, let the tail wagging begin.

Well, first off, my trailer may be close to 8K, but my "half-ton" truck is 7500# loaded.

But is it any better to have a Superduty 10K loaded truck pulling 16K trailer? (I just doubled your weight numbers.) Nobody complains about that.

And commercial tractors pull trailers much, much heavier than them as well.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone that farms or works construction know what occationally overloading a 1/2 ton is all about. It is to you to decide how heavy you wish to load your truck

Yep, been in construction and farming for my whole life. We don't use 1/2 tons for everyday worktruck needs. It's not about what your truck can pull in a straight line (even uphill), but rather about what the physical characteristics of your truck can handle. The Tundra can pull the space shuttle, right? If the new 1/2 ton has replaced the old 3/4 ton, then what's the point of the new 3/4 ton? Why not just skip straight to a 1 ton?

Yes, the engineers have figured out how to get more power (or equal power) from smaller engines compared to their big block predecessors. However, when I drive down the road today, I'm sure to see plenty of older model fords and chevys on the road with the 454's and 460's. I'll even see some dodge rams with the older 360's. They'll be hauling big trailers just like they've done from day one. 20 years from now, how many ford EcoBoost trucks will we see that are still holding up? A V6 engine that's made to do the same as a V8 engine? Burn it hotter, pump more air, put higher stress on components. It's not a recipe for long term success.

Edit: this thread will be dead in a day or 2...then we'll wait another week for a new similar one to begin.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone that farms or works construction know what occationally overloading a 1/2 ton is all about. It is to you to decide how heavy you wish to load your truck.

I do as a retired logger and firewood seller. There is absolutely NO difference in so called overloading a modern F-150 than doing the same with an older 3/4 ton or even a 2003 2500 HD. None at all. Period.

In fact, my F-150 with air bags does it actually better than my son's HD-2500 loaded to max with firewood. His rear sags because his is stock. No difference in power 5.4 versus 6.0 either.

There just plain equal hauling the same heavy load of wood. We do it many many times a year.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Max Cargo, Max Cargo, Max Cargo, it varies with accessories and is printed on the door jamb for each truck.

My 2011 E-Boost 4x4 with tow package has a towing capacity of 9500 lbs.

But with all the options it has a Max cargo of 1411 lbs. That comes too; two adults and dog, 500 lbs, TT tongue weight with WD hitch 500 lbs, truck cap 200 lbs. tools and toys 200 lbs. plus.

I am at or a bit over the Max Cargo but the unit pulls the TT with no troubles. It also has the power needed to pass another vehicle. That said I usually tow at 60 mph and I get 10 mpg plus or minus a bit.

Anything heavier than a 500 lbs. WD hitch tongue wieght and I would go with an F-250 or at least figure how much over the max cargo you are going to be.

Anyone that farms or works construction know what occationally overloading a 1/2 ton is all about. It is to you to decide how heavy you wish to load your truck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
Iguess my dh is one of the few who doesn't mind a one ton daily driver. We upgraded from a 2001 F150 Lariat withtow package ( granted no ecoboost) to a 2008 3500 diesel and he loves driving it daily. It pulls our 7500 gvwr tt like a breeze especially up hills where the ford struggled. He also loved being able to load half the bed with wood for our last week out.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed