Explorer
Ford To Go All-Electric By 2030

Et tu Ford...In Europe.
48 REPLIES 48

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
:). Guess weโ€™ll have to wait and see. Weโ€™ll meet back here in 13 years and 10 months...ish.

'Here' may not be a computer screen. Maybe by then we'll communicate by telepathy over Amazon, Google or whatever the future gives us :@

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Sales might suffer for the manufacturers as 2035 nears. Imagine thinking about buying a new truck in 2033 because yours is getting a little long in the tooth but knowing it will be hard to find gas/diesel stations in the near future. EV's will be pricy making people think about stretching out a couple more years out of their trucks. I'll be too old or pushin up daisies by then but if I am still around and able to drive, I'm not buying a Gas/Diesel truck if I think I'll have trouble getting fuel in the future even if there's really good deals. With all that being said, I'm looking forward to seeing outlet posts in corn fields so the tractors can charge up!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
FishOnOne wrote:
Reisender wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
More european planning... I'll pass

Europe? GM in North America is all in by 2035.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/general-motors-plans-to-exclusively-offer-electric-vehicles-by-2035....

And another bad decision

:). Guess weโ€™ll have to wait and see. Weโ€™ll meet back here in 13 years and 10 months...ish.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reisender wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/general-motors-plans-to-exclusively-offer-electric-vehicles-by-2035....

And another bad decision
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
It's like no one here really reads the articles:

Ford Motor Company invested $1 billion in an electric vehicle (EV) production facility in Cologne, Germany, to turn its entire passenger vehicle range in Europe โ€œzero-emissions capable, all-electric or plug-in hybridโ€

Even ignoring that this is a European announcement, just like the GM announcement, this announcement is passenger cars only, so has no bearing on the heavy trucks and common RV platforms. And Ford left even more wiggle room than GM by saying that they'll still be making "plug-in hybrid" vehicles, I doubt anyone here would be unhappy with a hybrid powertrain.

I think the biggest thing to worry about in the RV world over the next 3 or 4 decades is that as EV's become more popular, gas stations will become harder and harder to find. So RV owners won't be forced into going electric, they'll be asking for it.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
I'll be 91 if lucky and probably won't be driving anymore...

Meh. You wonโ€™t have to. Autonomous driving will do that for you. Autonomous driving will allow people to stay active in their communities much longer.

Or you can just key-in to your Cybertruck towing vehicle to meet you at the campground while you fly and take Uber.:B

All of which will be autonomous, including the all electric airplane. :B

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Dick_B wrote:

Meh. You wonโ€™t have to. Autonomous driving will do that for you. Autonomous driving will allow people to stay active in their communities much longer.

Or you can just key-in to your Cybertruck towing vehicle to meet you at the campground while you fly and take Uber.:B

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Dick_B wrote:

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Reading the article though, what they are saying is development of new ice will stop. But sales of existing models will continue to normal model end of life. Probably at least a decade,,,imho.
I agree. I don't expect a hard cut-off but more of the transition will be in full swing by then.
Even then business plans can change.

Yah The other thing is VW sells lots of vehicles in less developed countries where electric would be a poor choice of โ€œfuelโ€. I doubt VW would leave that market to Toyota and Land Rover. I suspect there will be some evolution of business plans as time goes on.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Reisender wrote:
Reading the article though, what they are saying is development of new ice will stop. But sales of existing models will continue to normal model end of life. Probably at least a decade,,,imho.
I agree. I don't expect a hard cut-off but more of the transition will be in full swing by then.
Even then business plans can change.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
And the worlds biggest auto builder as well. Volkswagen.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.auto123.com/en/news/amp/volkswagen-ending-production-gas-diesel-engi...

Whoa, this could be the earliest among the traditional ICE manufacturers.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
And the worlds biggest auto builder as well. Volkswagen.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.auto123.com/en/news/amp/volkswagen-ending-production-gas-diesel-engi...

Whoa, this could be the earliest among the traditional ICE manufacturers.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
FishOnOne wrote: