cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Super Duty Owner's Manual

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anybody come across anything interesting reading your owner's manual?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
31 REPLIES 31

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Poor sucker that buys a 200k mile truck not properly maintained is the guy who looses here.
I havenโ€™t understood the โ€œlifetime fullโ€ recommendations. But I also donโ€™t read where itโ€™s lifetime fluid. Although wouldnโ€™t be surprised necessarily. Sons 06 mustang is supposedly lifetime gear lube though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
My differential (front/rear) fluid is still the factory lube so it probably needs to be changed although I believe the manual says it's doesn't ever need to be changed.
Really? Mine was 125,000 I believe. Like the transmission and transfer cases. If you have a 2012 I'd double check that since that's what I have.
Manual wrote:
Every 15000 miles
(24000 km)
Inspect engine and secondary cooling system
concentration (freeze-point protection), additive
strength (corrosion inhibitor), coolant level and hoses. 2
Every 22500 miles
(36000 km)
Replace engine- and frame-mounted fuel filters. 3
Every 30000 miles
(48000 km)
Replace climate-controlled seat filter (if equipped).
At 45000 miles
(72000 km)
Replace air inlet foam filter. 4
Every 60000 miles
(96000 km)
Replace front wheel bearing grease and grease seal if
non-sealed bearings are used (2WD vehicles).
At 90000 miles
(144000 km)
Inspect accessory drive belt(s). 5
At 100000 miles
(160000 km)
Change rear axle fluid (Dana axles. Refer to Special
operating conditions). 6
At 105000 miles
(168000 km)
Change engine coolant. and secondary coolant. 7
Every
150000 miles
(240000 km)
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter. Consult
dealer for requirements.
Change front axle fluid (4WD vehicle).
Change transfer case fluid (4WD vehicles).
Replace accessory drive belt(s) if not replaced within
the last 100000 miles (160000 km).
Replace front wheel bearings and seals if non-sealed
bearings are used (2WD vehicles).

If you have a Dana rear axle which comes on a DRW F350 you have to change the fluid but on a F250/F350 SRW comes with the Ford rear axle which doesn't require a fluid change. I'm going to need to have my serpentine belt replaced so I will probably have the Ford dealer change the fluids in the front and rear axles. Having said that I usually inspect them for leaks when a change the engine oil and both of them are bone dry.

I'm on my second Super Duty with ~200k miles with the factory lube in the axles.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
GDS-3950BH wrote:
So do I LOL.

Perhaps it's not as intriguing as the threads were folks discuss state park campgrounds that will be installing EV charging at all the campsites which in reality may happen @ 2089, or the one about proper procedure to sanitize a black tank, but its a close 2nd.

DITTO.
I just saw those two threads this morning.

Apparently people are really getting bad cases of cabin fever this winter based on some of the bizarre and strange topics recently.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

At this point, my 2008 F250 Super Duty is an oldster, but Yes, reading the owner's manual is interesting.

I found out how to stop all the lights from coming on whenever you unlock the doors... sounds like a nice convenience thing, but at at campground if you go out to the truck to get something at 11pm suddenly you light everyone up!

On my 1988 F150, I found the emergency fuel pump shut off - the truck was jostled or something at a jobsite and wouldn't start. For some reason I remembered actually reading the owner's manual and remembered something about a fuel shutoff in case of an impact - found it under the dash. My employees thought I was crazy until the I got the truck started.

These instances were on older trucks... the newest ones have so much on them that is impressive.

I think most people would be amazed if they actually read the owner's manual for the their vehicle.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

I find it intriguing that this is actually a thread with a question and discussion points.....

So do I LOL.

Perhaps it's not as intriguing as the threads were folks discuss state park campgrounds that will be installing EV charging at all the campsites which in reality may happen @ 2089, or the one about proper procedure to sanitize a black tank, but its a close 2nd.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
Disconnecting the battery requires more computer learning, and supposedly engine will not start,

HD Diesel trucks with two batteries don't need to "relearn" unless you disconnect both batteries at the same time, which I don't do. I replace one at a time. I'm not sure if that's the recommend procedure in the manual or not, because I don't have time to RTFM.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lynnmor wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

I find it interesting that you are to oil the lug nuts a certain way, do you know of anyone that ever does it and does it right?

To the chagrin of the rvnet lug nut torque police, Iโ€™ve been using anti seize on all wheel lugs for a good 30 years now....

You obviously never read a Ford truck owners manual or you would know that we Ford owners have better nuts.

You are a Ford guy??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
My differential (front/rear) fluid is still the factory lube so it probably needs to be changed although I believe the manual says it's doesn't ever need to be changed.
Really? Mine was 125,000 I believe. Like the transmission and transfer cases. If you have a 2012 I'd double check that since that's what I have.
Manual wrote:
Every 15000 miles
(24000 km)
Inspect engine and secondary cooling system
concentration (freeze-point protection), additive
strength (corrosion inhibitor), coolant level and hoses. 2
Every 22500 miles
(36000 km)
Replace engine- and frame-mounted fuel filters. 3
Every 30000 miles
(48000 km)
Replace climate-controlled seat filter (if equipped).
At 45000 miles
(72000 km)
Replace air inlet foam filter. 4
Every 60000 miles
(96000 km)
Replace front wheel bearing grease and grease seal if
non-sealed bearings are used (2WD vehicles).
At 90000 miles
(144000 km)
Inspect accessory drive belt(s). 5
At 100000 miles
(160000 km)
Change rear axle fluid (Dana axles. Refer to Special
operating conditions). 6
At 105000 miles
(168000 km)
Change engine coolant. and secondary coolant. 7
Every
150000 miles
(240000 km)
Change automatic transmission fluid and filter. Consult
dealer for requirements.
Change front axle fluid (4WD vehicle).
Change transfer case fluid (4WD vehicles).
Replace accessory drive belt(s) if not replaced within
the last 100000 miles (160000 km).
Replace front wheel bearings and seals if non-sealed
bearings are used (2WD vehicles).
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
Ford doesn't make the orange coolant anymore and the yellow coolant is backwards compatible. Meaning you can mix the yellow with the orange. I don't believe Ford sells a booster for the yellow since it already last extremely long. The OP is purchasing a new 2021 Super Duty so it will come with Yellow coolant so the orange coolant is no longer a issue.

That's good info since coolant is the next fluid change on my list, I've done trans, differential and transfer cases. All easier than I expected

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ford doesn't make the orange coolant anymore and the yellow coolant is backwards compatible. Meaning you can mix the yellow with the orange. I don't believe Ford sells a booster for the yellow since it already last extremely long. The OP is purchasing a new 2021 Super Duty so it will come with Yellow coolant so the orange coolant is no longer a issue.

That's good info since coolant is the next fluid change on my list, I've done trans, differential and transfer cases. All easier than I expected
Superbumper

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Disconnecting the battery requires more computer learning, and supposedly engine will not start, if battery is not at state of charge to operate all electronics.

I will be changing out my battery soon, due to it being a bit weak. The manual says part of learning process, after running engine at idle to complete warmup, you need to put in gear, idle one minute, then turn air conditioner on, allow another one minute of idle, then drive around for another 10 miles.

I understand the idle learning, while AC is turned on, but it is currently 11 degrees below 0 F, and I would wonder if the AC would even function normally, to relearn idle properly?

Would the lowest tech at the Ford dealership, installing the new battery know to jump through all these hoops listed in the manual, or would he just swap batteries and GTG?

I'm thinking like many things, might be best to change it myself, then it would be done as described in the manual.

Jerry

Back in the 90s we had a 9 volt battery attached to a cigarette lighter plug-in to keep some voltage in the system while swapping out batteries. It was mainly for radio presets. I have no idea if it would work on a newer vehicle but something you could look into.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
The coolant test was really in case someone topped off the coolant bottle with the wrong coolant. Ford has switched from the Orange coolant to a new Yellow coolant that last even longer so I doubt a recharge is necessary.

Be careful with that, the older, 2012 trucks, call for orange unless the yellow is an approved substitute. And the coolant tests detect weak coolant and Ford sells a concentrate that you can add to boost the coolant concentration. Comes in a liter bottle

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The coolant test was really in case someone topped off the coolant bottle with the wrong coolant. Ford has switched from the Orange coolant to a new Yellow coolant that last even longer so I doubt a recharge is necessary.

Be careful with that, the older, 2012 trucks, call for orange unless the yellow is an approved substitute. And the coolant tests detect weak coolant and Ford sells a concentrate that you can add to boost the coolant concentration. Comes in a liter bottle
Superbumper