cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Four Wheel Campers

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone here owned a Four Wheel Camper before and if so I would like to hear opinion of them.
24 REPLIES 24

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh406 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Right now I could buy a comparable one for less than I sold it for less than 2 months ago.

Not many people buy RVs during Late Fall in Western Washington, so how much is time of year?

A good deal of it for sure. But that was my point. Even after Labor Day I got good money that I feel was an anomaly.
And the 20/21 fall/winter, I was searching the whole time and not near as much for sale for typical bp toyhaulers and the prices were still crazy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Right now I could buy a comparable one for less than I sold it for less than 2 months ago.

Not many people buy RVs during Late Fall in Western Washington, so how much is time of year?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cptqueeg wrote:

My experience with FWC was buying one, finding out it didn't suit our needs, and then selling it for MORE than I paid for it a year earlier an a matter of HOURS. I got calls from 2500 miles away.

To be clear, FWCs may be great campers, but this ^ experience was compliments of Covid.
What it does mean though, is you likely didn't get fleeced on the purchase like many have.
Heck, I bought a run of the mill Toyhauler in the late spring of 2021, at the height of Covid camper purchases and sold it AFTER camping season this year for a shade more than I paid, NOT during the buying season here in the northern states.
Just caught the tail end of the Covid Camper Crisis...lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree that not all manufacturers have extreme growth as a business model. It takes a lot of work and risk to grow a business. On the other hand, all RVs and especially TCs are all "niche" products. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My guess is Four Wheel Campers is exactly the size they want to be. You'd have to ask them why. Their newest ownership group started in 2016.

It seems to me that their prices have gone up over the years because people really like them, but they've also increased the models and types including the relatively new Project M..

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I was interested in a popup.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
csh_2088 wrote:
I was looking on the four wheel campers site and they have gotten pretty expensive.

They always have been expensive for what they are. That's why they're not more popular. For the same money or less you can get a fully appointed camper.

Actually they are very popular and the reason that you don't see more is they have limited production unlike the vast majority of RV builders that added "capacity" to deliver units, but failed at delivering any kind of quality or workmanship. Nor will they have to lay off workers when the overall RV business slows.

If the campers were popular they would add production capacity to keep up with demand, set up a dealer network, etc.. They are leaving vast amounts of money on the table if they are intentionally refusing to keep up with demand to artificially inflate the perception of their product.

Fact of the matter is people gravitate to cheaper. They are going to lose out to a camper that sells cheaper with more features, every time. That's why they are a niche product in a niche market, and always will be.

You have some funny ideas that are nothing but speculation based on what you perceive FWC's business model is.

Not every company has the ability, need, or desire to maximize revenue in order to maximize profit. Maximizing may not be in the best interests of the owners or employees. (Some people are never satisfied and put their companies at risk in the process of being the biggest and/or most profitable.)

My experience with FWC was buying one, finding out it didn't suit our needs, and then selling it for MORE than I paid for it a year earlier an a matter of HOURS. I got calls from 2500 miles away. Oh it had ZERO defects in workmanship and materials. And Hallmark is the same way, they want to build as many units as they can manage, and still maintain their quality, employees, and customer relations.

For those that price is the only thing in the pop up world there is always Palomino.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
cptqueeg wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
csh_2088 wrote:
I was looking on the four wheel campers site and they have gotten pretty expensive.

They always have been expensive for what they are. That's why they're not more popular. For the same money or less you can get a fully appointed camper.

Actually they are very popular and the reason that you don't see more is they have limited production unlike the vast majority of RV builders that added "capacity" to deliver units, but failed at delivering any kind of quality or workmanship. Nor will they have to lay off workers when the overall RV business slows.

If the campers were popular they would add production capacity to keep up with demand, set up a dealer network, etc.. They are leaving vast amounts of money on the table if they are intentionally refusing to keep up with demand to artificially inflate the perception of their product.

Fact of the matter is people gravitate to cheaper. They are going to lose out to a camper that sells cheaper with more features, every time. That's why they are a niche product in a niche market, and always will be.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been sleeping in trucks with canopies for 50 years. You have to leave a window open for ventilation. I like a slider in the front near where I am sleeping.

They can be heated by a little Buddy heater. We used to just use a Coleman lantern. Mostly I just use down sleeping bags and wool blankets. It was around 20 degrees this spring at Twin Lakes area in CA near Bridgeport. It was -8 there last night.

I slept at a ski area in CO one night after getting upset with a girl friend. It was an old Totoyta truck with carpet and good insulation. I was fine at around -15 degrees F.

I am considering getting a Bed Rug kit for the back of my Ram 2500.

There is no doubt that the pop top campers are going to release a lot of heat compared to regular hard sides but they are lighter and much less top heavy and easier to get around with. Still way ahead of a tent and even the back of a good pickemup.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
csh_2088 wrote:

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
csh_2088 wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

csh_2088
Explorer
Explorer

maria_bettina
Explorer
Explorer
We bought an ATC Panther (shell model) in spring 2019. For our type of traveling, I still think that was our best choice. No regrets.

First, we have a Toyota Tundra with a 1550# payload. We were worried about weight, so that's why we got the shell model, which was around 700# with the extra long bed and a Fantastic Fan added. I regret not getting the furnace.

A previous post said that 30 degrees is the max cold temp for a pop up TC. I say it's 40 degrees without a constant heater! We camp without hookups 95% of the time, but having an electric heater and hookups solves the "it's frigid" issue. Without shore power, we run a Little Buddy right before bed and as soon as we wake. Not ideal, that's for sure, esp at high elevation when the Little Buddy won't ignite.

We upgraded our TC battery and have 3@100 watt solar panels on the roof. Having a herniated disc, popping the top up with that weight on the roof is awkward. Do-able for this 52-yr old chick, but not something I look forward to, and I usually make my teen son do it. But with that small inconvenience, we watch DVDs while camping and dont worry too much about electrical usage...when it's sunny out. We also have to look for unshaded sites and/or park so we are not shaded by trees.

We chose the ATC because I wanted something I can easily drive around. We had a travel trailer but being that I usually am the only adult on trips, I didn't even want to think about towing something, finding parking with a TT, backing a TT up, and set up. Having a pop up camper is sooooo easy. We added a backup camera, and gas milage didn't suffer too much. We lost maybe 1-2 mpg with a camper on the truck.

Storage is a challenge. Just bringing our bikes camping means removing the stairs from the hitch, replacing it with a tray, and lashing our bikes to the tray. Then when we get to camp, removing the bikes and locking them to a table, just so we can get in the camper door. So we don't bring bikes when out destination is more than a day's drive.

Some campgrounds treat pop up TCs like tents and those rules apply. Others treat them as RVs. But in bear country, having food in the pop up is a no-no in Yosemite, for example. So we plan ahead and bring stuff in a cooler that we throw in the bear box when we get to camp. In other campgrounds, they'll let you keep food in the fridge in the TC. It just depends on the rules of the park/bears.

I look at it as every choice (pop up TC, TT, tent, etc) has its pros and cons, and you gotta ask yourself what type of camping you do, what amenities can you give up and what are must-haves, then go from there.

But again, really wish I had that furnace! Dang it!!

Prolly TMI, but there's my experience.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
A way to alleviate the heat/moisture issue is plug in and carry a small electric heater.

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
I have a 4WD 'camper'.

Good for youโ€ฆ

Sorry, I thought that's what the thread is about. What's a Four-Wheel camper, then?

Oh, I see...it's the brand name of a truck camper. My bad.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
My friend has had a few in the past. I liked that the top is very low when stored for travel. It was also the only popup at the tine with an aluminum frame. But as stated as far as insulation it's like a tent when it's popped up.

Actually what it reminded me of was sleeping in the back of my PU w an uninsulated aluminum shell w Mr Buddy heater going and condensation dripping of the loominum roof in a cascade. A tent would have been more comfortable. And that's why my first choice for a pop-up would be hallmark, but was fence sitting on both trucks and RV's prior to the pandemic and missed that boat.

I can confirm in the year we owned it, there were (0), zero defects in the workmanship. The company did not race to fill their backlog of orders so that says a lot about the company.