cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freezer Icing/Frost Buildup

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
The freezer in my TT has been icing up badly. In trying the dollar bill test to the top seal of the door, it pretty much slides out with no effort.

I am looking at purchasing some aftermarket seal to place in addition to the original seal. The door does not look adjustable.

Is there any advice on what type of seal ti purchase?

Thanks!
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD
10 REPLIES 10

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for input everyone! I apologize for taking a few days to get back. As far as the factory seal, it has been replaced once and it continues to have this issue.

When the door is open, it looks to me as though the actual freezer top has a it bit of a upward bow in it, which I believe is not allowing it get a nice seal on it.

I'll try to report back with any items that are a success (or not).
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I just did the hairdryer routine a couple of weeks ago on our home refrigerator/freezer. The freezer had ice buildup just around one corner. Heated the gasket and gently pulled on it while my partner held the door open. I had seen this on some TV home repair program a while back. It seemed to work for the next couple of days, and then we left for the last two weeks for elder care back home. I'm eager to check on it when I return on Sunday. Give it a shot, it won't cost you anything.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I did was go to Staples or Office Depot and buy a roll of 1" wide x 8' or so magnetic strip on a roll with the adhesive on one side (under $10 IIRC). Split it into 1/2" wide strips and attach one to the gasket and the other to the matching section on the door opening and that way when you close the door the magnetic strips adhere to each other and provide a seal. The older Norcolds I think used a magnetic gasket, but the new ones for some reason don't ... probably so folks would have to replace gaskets more often for more profit to the manufacturer.

Make sure you clean both the gasket and door area good with alcohol and dry good so the adhesive on the magnetic strip will adhere good.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

sharker6
Explorer
Explorer
Ice build up is normal unless you have a frost free refrigerator. The frost and ice build up is caused primarily from the difference in the outside temperature at the back wall of the trailer against the refrigerator. I defrost mine about once a month with a hair dryer on the low heat setting. If I have the sun hitting that side of the RV I need to defrost more often.
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RES, 2008 F250 Diesel FX4

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Refrigerator door seals, be it in your home or RV are mashed so many times over the years from people pushing the door close the they lose their sealing property because they don't quite reach. Before I spend money as an retired appliance technician and still repairing appliance as a hobby I would try heating the door seal with a blow dryer or heat gun on medium to low setting. You have to be careful not to overheat it as the seal could tear very easily when pulled.

Open the refrigerator door, gently apply heat to seal and lightly pull seal to make it stick out further. Or remove screws that hold the refrigerator in and slide the fridge out enough so you can see the seal against the fridge. Open the door slightly to the point you can see the magnet being attracted to the cabinet metal, but leave a gap. Heat to seal enough until you see the magnet pulling itself against the cabinet. Hold the door in that position until the seal cools a bit.

I can't stress enough not to overheat the seal to the point of melting or burning a hole in it.

A coating of silicon lubricant or petroleum jelly rubbed on the gasket and magnet portion will help to maintain the pliability and sealing capability.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
when looking at anywhere from $140 to $200 for a Dometic replacement kit I think I would try something like this before spending that much.
Gasket kit
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Try putting some foil tape that furnace guys use for duct work. Not duct tape. Cut it the size of the weatherstrip.,about 1/2 "wide . put a few layers till dollar bill is harder to get out. Worth a try before you do the whole weather strip.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Home Depot has some gap sealing rubber window seal. It looked to me to be a useful product. Measure the OEM and see if you can find something that is similar.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Gambit80 wrote:
The freezer in my TT has been icing up badly. In trying the dollar bill test to the top seal of the door, it pretty much slides out with no effort.

I am looking at purchasing some aftermarket seal to place in addition to the original seal. The door does not look adjustable.

Is there any advice on what type of seal ti purchase?

Thanks!

Interesting question that I never thought to ask:).
I just go to pretty much any hardware or big box store and purchase refrigerator gasket in the length I need. Sometimes it's sold in a kit other times in lengths. Get a few inches more than the exact measurement so you can get around the corners w/ ease.

HTH.

ETA: Yes, do replace the entire door's gasket. If nothing else it'll save you from doing the job again for a bit of time.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just replace the worn out factory seal with a new one?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad