cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh tank mystery

96Tony
Explorer
Explorer
My 19' Keystone Premier Bullet has two low-point water drains below the fresh water tank, a hot and a cold. In years past, after dry camping and while winterizing, I would remove the caps and the tank would drain by gravity.

Recently, however, I pulled off the cap and got...nothing. There was definitely water in the tank, and when I turned on the pump it shot water out of the drain like crazy. Shut the pump off...nothing. I pushed a zip-tie up the drain nipple, so there is no obstruction, as also evidenced by the good flow while the pump is on.

To rule out an air lock, I also removed the fill neck cap, and opened up some faucets, with no different results.

I'm pretty flummoxed by this, and wonder if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all 3 of my drain caps with real brass plumbing valves, 1/4 turn ball valves. makes life so much easier
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bobbo wrote:
The only mystery is why the fresh water tank ever drained from your low point drains. It should not have.
Not really a mystery, its science, "siphon".

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
My TT has hot and cold caps conveniently located up behind the tires. The fresh water tank has a spigot drain on the bottom.

All of locations allow you to wiggle on your belly like a reptile and provide a refreshing splash of water down your arm and sleeve.

Awesome description. One of our former units had that same setup. I still have the scar on my back from a sharp edge somewhere. Thanks for the chuckle and the memory.
Puma 30RKSS

96Tony
Explorer
Explorer
I am a dumb a$$.
I now see the fresh water drain, and am no longer flummoxed.
Thanks a ton for the help!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
96Tony wrote:
My 19' Keystone Premier Bullet has two low-point water drains below the fresh water tank, a hot and a cold. In years past, after dry camping and while winterizing, I would remove the caps and the tank would drain by gravity.

The only mystery is why the fresh water tank ever drained from your low point drains. It should not have.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
My TT has hot and cold caps conveniently located up behind the tires. The fresh water tank has a spigot drain on the bottom.

All of locations allow you to wiggle on your belly like a reptile and provide a refreshing splash of water down your arm and sleeve.

I would replace them with valves but that would take all the fun out of it ๐Ÿ™‚

My fresh tank drain is like yours. I took an old broom handle and cut a slot in the end so I can reach it from the side of the trailer.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:

Just like my Coachmen. I feel your pain.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Yep...the low point drains are to drain the water lines, not the tank...which would explain why water came out with the pump on. Tank should have a separate drain of its own.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hot and Cold Low Point Drains are drains that are 'T'd off of the HOT Plumbing Line System and off the COLD Plumbing Line System

Fresh water tank should be a separate drain.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31