cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water problem with water overflow while being towed

SkimmerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from second trip in '14 Jay Flight 267 BH, The first trip was about 90 miles and when I got there and was almost done setting up the DW said the Fresh water says "EMPTY" , I said I thought I filled it but maybe not there was a lot going on for the "maiden voyage " So I carried a couple cans of water from the nearby spigot. That filled it to 2/3rds so we were good. This trip we were at a CG with water hook-up for a couple nites then we were going to a state CG with out just 17 miles down the road. Now the same thing happened this time it said 1/3rd & everyone knew I filled it. So I crawled under and was able to see the level thru the tank side it was just above the 1/3rd sensor. I also noticed 2 overflow hoses on the side next to each other. so I'm thinking that doubles the water flow out sloshing out of the tank on the winding twisty road.

Against my better judgement I bought this unit from a very large dealer with several locations. I called the service dept. from the CG just to ask if this is a common problem with this unit. The service manager told me he never heard of this problem before and that most people don't use there fresh water tank they usually hook up to city water. I found this a very comical answer and thought I should share it.I probably use my FW tank 96% of the time.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I am thinking I'LL just put a couple valves on the lines and close them while traveling

Sorry for such a long post.
11 REPLIES 11

SkimmerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is the Jayco Jay Flight Swift 267. Its a 2014(why they have to call it a 14 I D K ) and it has a slide out. I just installed two valves on the end of the tubes tomorrow we leave for a 90 mile trip, we'll see if this works.

crimmps49
Explorer
Explorer
DS's is a Jayco JayFlight w/slideout.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to lose a little bit during travel but not over a couple of gallons I would guess. We just got back from a 4 day trip. Dry camping. I filled the tank when we left home and still had 2/3 of a tank when we got back home. We did not really try to conserve water except my DW only took one shower (I just used deodorant :B). We have an 85 gal. FW tank.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
It happened to me too one time. Luckily we had a tap nearby.
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
It would be interesting to know the brand of trailer that people experience this problem and whether or not it has the traditional gravity fill or the type system that Lynnmor has and displays in his link. Lynmoor and I have the same trailer, I have the gravity fill and he has the console system. I never leak water and he always did (until he did his mod). I think KZ went back to the type fill that I have so a little more info from those with the issue would be very informative.

crimmps49
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor--nice gallery of pics with lots of good info. Thanks.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I would loose a little water until I fitted my trailer with a better gravity fill connection with locking door. The old one was like the shore power mouse hole with a trough and vent hole behind the cover flap. The newer one is recessed with a cap on the gravity fill and the vent all behind a lockable door. When traveling with water in the tank I also insert a small cork I got at Lowe's from the miscellaneous hardware trays into the vent hole inside the door. However the main reason I replaced the mouse hole type water fill was due to rain water & dirt getting inside the tank.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I went thru this nonsense with my KZ Spree. The vent hoses come out the side of the tank and go straight down. That needs to be changed so that the vents are well above water level.

Here is a thread about my problem:
Water Loss

You can see photos at:
Library

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
My freshwater tank also drained on my first trip. The fill hose and the overflow/vent are at the same level on the side of the tank. Initially I put a valve on the overflow/vent as it just ran straight toward the ground. I would open it to fill the tank and then close it for traveling. You need to open it again after you set camp to allow air into the tank to replace the water you've drawn out. Actually, the overflow/vent should be open above the tank and then there is no siphoning. The shut-off valve (think garden hose end) must be open when filling and using the freshwater from the tank to avoid over-pressure and vacuum conditions that distort the tank. I've since routed the vent hose up through a floor opening behind a galley cabinet into the area of the outside shower which I removed (I never use that anyway). This solution also allows the tank to be filled rather than overflow an inch or two short of full. The problem seems to be that the trailers with slides have limited ability to vent above the tank if the tank is mounted below the slide out.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, happens all the time. Sometimes I have followed our fifth wheel with in my car (because I might have to go to work) and can see the water come out of the overflow as he takes turns. However, ours at max will be down 1/3 if that. And the dummy at the RV place who said most work off of city water. NOT... many of us boondock, are at State parks without direct hook ups and use our fresh water tank more than not.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

crimmps49
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, DS has the same problem on his brand new TT. Dealer told him the same thing that most people don't fill it till they reach their destination. They also told him to put a valve on it so he can "shut" it off. So far he just fills at the campground when arriving so he can use his water since we camp at a lot of state parks with just electric.