cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh Water System Sanitizer

snowedin
Explorer
Explorer
Received this RV Inline Sanitizer today, haven’t tried it yet but looks like it should work. Just add 8 oz for every 40 gallons of fresh water when filling the fresh water tank, then turn on faucets until bleach is smelled, let sit for 12 hours, and then later flush system with fresh water. Camping World has it as does Amazon. There is a YouTube video showing it’s use also. Simple and at $28 it’s overpriced but if it works I won’t complain. www.rvinlinesanitizer.com
23 REPLIES 23

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
CarnationSailor wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Video I looked at shows using the winterizing port. That does get to the tank.

I believe you are mistaken about that. When winterizing, you should set the valves so that the antifreeze does not go into the fresh water tank. You do NOT want antifreeze in the fresh water tank. It would take forever to get out. The fresh water tank is "winterized" by simply draining it through the low point drain.

You DO want to sanitize the tank and all the lines. So the sanitizing additives, what ever it is, should be put in through the port that fills the tank, and then pumped through the water system.

I agree with everything except not putting anti-freeze in the fresh water tank. A previous trailer of mine did not have a winterizing port so I would pour the antifreeze into the fresh water tank and use the pump to distribute it throughtout the system. I never had a problem flushing it out in the spring when I sanitized the system.

putting a couple of gallons of AF in the fresh water tank is a terrible waste of money and effort to clean it out. a little bit of water on the bottom of the tank isn't going to hurt anything.
bumpy

I didn't put the AF in the fresh water tank to keep it from freezing. I put it there because that was the only way I could distribute it throughout the pipes using the water pump. As I said before, that trailer did NOT have a winterizing port.

And it took no extra effort to flush it out in the Spring other than what I would otherwise do to sanitize the fresh water tank and water pipes.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Westcoasting wrote:
Has anyone ever gotten sick from the fresh water system? After 32 years of not doing it I’m not about to start anytime soon.

Never gotten sick but have experienced the very foul odor created by bacteria in the water system, more prone to happen when trailer has sat in warmer weather.

What we've done the past couple of years is drain the system between trips and always fill fresh water tank ( 60 gal ) before departure.

I would still recommend sanitizing as it's extremely easy preventative maintenance.

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever gotten sick from the fresh water system? After 32 years of not doing it I’m not about to start anytime soon.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
enblethen wrote:

I believe you are mistaken about that. When winterizing, you should set the valves so that the antifreeze does not go into the fresh water tank. You do NOT want antifreeze in the fresh water tank. It would take forever to get out. The fresh water tank is "winterized" by simply draining it through the low point drain.

You DO want to sanitize the tank and all the lines. So the sanitizing additives, what ever it is, should be put in through the port that fills the tank, and then pumped through the water system.

I agree with everything except not putting anti-freeze in the fresh water tank. A previous trailer of mine did not have a winterizing port so I would pour the antifreeze into the fresh water tank and use the pump to distribute it throughtout the system. I never had a problem flushing it out in the spring when I sanitized the system.

putting a couple of gallons of AF in the fresh water tank is a terrible waste of money and effort to clean it out. a little bit of water on the bottom of the tank isn't going to hurt anything.
bumpy

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:

You did have a winterizing port, they made these things for years.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like the same guy that pays to have nitrogen put in his tires.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolmom42 wrote:
enblethen wrote:

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
My last sentence has a missing "Not" in it. Should read "That does "NOT" get to the tank."

I would suggest editing the post to correct it and to avoid confusion.
bumpy

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
My last sentence has a missing "Not" in it. Should read "That does "NOT" get to the tank."

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

snowedin
Explorer
Explorer
Tough Crowd I guess but it is what it is. A funnel and short section of hose or some similar method of pouring bleach into the fresh water tank,and then filling the fresh water tank accomplishes the same thing as this Inline Sanitizer. Had hoped that it would have had a way of metering the bleach slowly to insure that the bleach is more evenly distributed but it's a straight shot through the Sanitizer so looks like the bleach would pretty much blast right though.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
This is a tough crowd but happen to agree.

Sometimes you need to call it like you see it. 😉

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
This is a tough crowd but happen to agree.
Just dump some bleach in the fresh and later....run it out.

I'm amazed at the gimmicks.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Video I looked at shows using the winterizing port. That does "NOT" get to the tank.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker