cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel filling issue on F250

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every single time I put gas in our '09 F250, I have to hold the nozzle upside down otherwise it spits gas back and shuts the pump off. Would this be something wrong with it or a manufacturing defect? Finally getting tired of this and would like to fix it.

We bought the truck as a lease return so don't know if it was like this from the beginning. Our previous F150 was fine. Even when holding the nozzle upside down, it still occasionaly shuts of and a couple of times I've ended up with gas down my pants - not funny. The truck is otherwise fantastic.
6 REPLIES 6

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the info. and especially the TSB info. Now I know what's causing it and what to fix.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
There is a TSB for this.

Slow Fuel Fill TSB 09-20-12
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure any rubber hose you put on is rated to carry gas. Ran into this on a boat, any old hose won't last.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
reroute the filler pipe so theres no kinks, don,t need to be steel pipe rubber will do.

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, my friend, to the world of Ford!
I first had this problem in 1967 with my 250, then in 1991 with my new 250 diesel and now with my Ranger!. What the problem is is the filler tube goes between the frame and bed and is somewhat pinched, which causes the air in the tank to fight the fuel going in as the air tries to exit.
The way I deal with it is to hold the nozzle correctly (That way you avid spillage)but up as high as I can tilt it. For some reason this allows the air out while fuel is going in.
The other issue is because of the air not being able to exit quickly, as the tank fills, the fuel will shut off the pump when it hits the sensor in the nozzle. I have found that I usually put 2-3 gallons in when the automatic cutoff stops the filling. With the nozzle still as high as I can get it and maintain a seal, I slowly pump till the tank is full.
When I first got my 67, I was invited to a meeting with other owners to tell Ford what they could improve. There were about 20 of us there and every one complained about filling the tanks. You can see how well they listened!
Good luck filling the tank!
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It should not do that. I had that problem with an 05 F-250 and it will drive you crazy. My 09 does not do that. Something is wrong in the filler neck or vent.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)