cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full time travel trailers

tn_terry_t
Explorer
Explorer
hello guys. please don't beat me up too bad with this question. my searching skills are not that good. what are some of the brands of travel trailers are rated for full time living? I pretty much have the fifth wheels figured out and have looked at many to this date. I have decided not to over look the travel trailer during my search for the perfect rv for me. any help would be appreciated

terry t
13 REPLIES 13

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
We would full time in our Open Range except we are baby sitting for the next year or so (our grandson). We have used it for cross country travel but are on hold for a little while now.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
In the past month I've met people full-timing as volunteers and COE gate attendants in north Texas for the winter in:

Airstream
Rockwood
Flagstaff
Puma
Open Range
Bullet
Outback
Grand Designs
Denali

brand trailers - some new, some up to 10 years old.

You have to know where you will be and what the limitations of the trailer are.

Almost any trailer with a fully-enclosed underbelly with heat pads under the tanks and the propane heater vented into the underbelly will be fine in winters down into the teens.

Only if you are going to be in temps down near 0 often do you have to ensure you get a fully four season rated trailer.

But even then, you need things like heat tape for the fresh water line, and provisions for the sewer hose.

The reality is many of us cannot afford the trailer we would wish, so we have to get the best we can and make it work.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
A very nice 4 Season rated TT is made by Lance

Lance Videos
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

tn_terry_t
Explorer
Explorer
thank you for your time guys. I will look at each and every suggestion made here. im still a little aways off from buying but I am looking 🙂

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have full timed in several trailers/fifth wheels and motor homes.If I was to live full time in a travel trailer again,the Jayco Eagle would be my first choice.We lived in a Jayco Fifth wheel quite a few years and it was trouble free even in the Idaho winters with the right additions.

You can live full time in any trailer with a few minor changes and additions for the cold months.Even the heated under bellies will freeze..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
tn terry t wrote:
hello guys. please don't beat me up too bad with this question. my searching skills are not that good. what are some of the brands of travel trailers are rated for full time living? I pretty much have the fifth wheels figured out and have looked at many to this date. I have decided not to over look the travel trailer during my search for the perfect rv for me. any help would be appreciated

terry t

This forum is travel trailers.

I suggest looking at the Full Timers Forum for some real world experience.

What works for some doesn't necessarily work for all. Enjoy the search.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many full time in Airstreams. Arctic Fox RV's are also popular. And you will find some that full time in most every brand. Full time RV's are typically those that are better insulated, perhaps have slightly better furniture, can deal better with condensation, and are usually four season rated. Beyond that it is pretty much what you want and if you follow the seasons the insulation issue becomes largely moot.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bradyk wrote:
Arctic Fox would be at the top and you may want to check Open Range as well. Excel was making them in their Winslow line but don't see them up there any longer. They were a nice unit and even better built that the mentioned above. If they are not you may want to research and see if you can find a one of or a gently used one. Just make sure you have a beast to pull these as they are all heavy units.
Excel no longer makes a TT. If money was not a concern New Horizon would be my first choice.

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
Northwood's Arctic Fox and Outdoors Manufacturing would be good candidates.
James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox would be at the top and you may want to check Open Range as well. Excel was making them in their Winslow line but don't see them up there any longer. They were a nice unit and even better built that the mentioned above. If they are not you may want to research and see if you can find a one of or a gently used one. Just make sure you have a beast to pull these as they are all heavy units.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

sandstravels
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Northwood MFG makes Arctic Fox that's a nice unit.

I would include the Nash line too. Very solid and well built!
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD, 4x4, CC, D/A
2015 Nash 23d

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Northwood MFG makes Arctic Fox that's a nice unit.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to contact the RV Consumer Group, www.rv.org. As I remember they recommend either Class A or 5ers for full timing depending on whether one travels a lot or just stays in place. They don't recommend TT for that severe service.
If you spend a few cold/hot nights in my TT (one of the better ones I think) and listened to the furnace/A/C noise you would get a better idea of why you wouldn't want it for full timing. The RV Consumer Group has more info on this subject.
You will now hear from TT owners who full time and love it. The difference is that those owners FT in their rig but their rig is not made for full timing.
Keep in mind that some people live in their cars but they, also, are not made for that use.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)