cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI/ what say you

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
Browsing today in a batteries + store in Miami . They had a battery brand name X2 with a five year free replacement warranty. It was a 90 amp hour battery and cost was $320 plus tax. Kinda $pendy but I must admit the five year warranty is enticing. I don't or hope I don't need a battery at this point but might be worth a second look when I do. I'm sure they aren't the best battery for the $$$ out there but that warranty will go a long way toward leveling the playing field.
25 REPLIES 25

Sparky87k5
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
Thanks all.

You folks using AGM's..... are you finding that they last at lea st as long as the 5 years my electrolytics do? They cost considerably more so you need them to go at least 7 years, I would think.

Not knowing what brand you use and how you're using them I can't say you would be better off with AGM's. I can say that in my experience using an Interstate battery of good quality gave me 3 years at best and required constant attention to maintenance. Since going to AGM's 6 years ago I have not done anything except inspect them yearly during my normal winter maintenance schedule. I think the high vibration of use on a boat in rough waters that I run in has taken a toll on lead acid batteries. My batteries do take a pounding at times.
2000 F350 Lariat LE V10 CC LB 4WD DRW
2005 Eagle Cap 850 Camper
1993 Robalo 2440 twin '07 Merc Optimax 150's
1978 Glasply 28' with twin 310hp V8's

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I am using Lifeline GLP-4CT's and they hold up very well. Under $300.00 with free shipping.

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
Thank you Skipbee. I am considering AGM's for my next bank of batteries and have one of the best chargers that will babysit them properly.

My only concern is the lower AH rating that AGM's seem to carry when comparing.

I do want faster charging and longer lasting capacity when batteries are sitting idle.

Can a couple DEKA's in parallel handle running the furnace all night?

I assume you mean a propane furnace with a 12V fan? The fan would draw less than 4 or 5 amps, which would be 40 or 50 amp-hours over a 10 hour night. Almost any battery could handle that.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Skipbee. I am considering AGM's for my next bank of batteries and have one of the best chargers that will babysit them properly.

My only concern is the lower AH rating that AGM's seem to carry when comparing.

I do want faster charging and longer lasting capacity when batteries are sitting idle.

Can a couple DEKA's in parallel handle running the furnace all night?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
bka0721 wrote:
stickbowjoe wrote:
I have bought expensive batteries, and less expensive batteries.

Full timing, plugged into shore power about 60% of the time, they have all gone south in under 2 years.

I am now on my third Autozone biggest, best battery. Or I was last week, when I traded for a new camper.

Good price, 1 year warranty, and they install it.

Works for me.

Batteries are like tires and diesel fuel and engine oil and brake pads to me.

Replace as needed.

Joe
As some have become aware, plugged in to shore power, is a battery killer. Depending on the ATS or Converter, one should disconnect the batteries to keep from killing them. Most Converters have the ability to disconnect the battery charging function. That might save you some of your batteries.

b

Our original Interstate group 29 went 5 years plugged in 24/7/365. It only died because the GFI tripped and it was without power for a couple months. PD9245 charger.

I also never added a single drop of water to it. We didn't run it down low too often so I'm sure that makes a difference.

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon,

I'm in the 4 year range with 3 type 31 AGM's. They have been trouble free so far and the only maintenance has been to clean the terminals each year.

My wife and I lived on a sailing yacht for 23 years and had extensive experience with various sizes, brands,and prices of batteries. We found on average that after the third year we could expect batteries to lose effectiveness. Sometimes some would go longer, some less.

I would not consider going back to lead/acid, the benefits of the AGM are much less corncern. They are a vast improvement in battery tech. They appear to take a charge faster, hold the charge better, I do not have think about the batteries as much. Until the next improvements are released I'll be using AGM's. The DEKA Brand was the best priced when I was looking.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.

You folks using AGM's..... are you finding that they last at least as long as the 5 years my electrolytics do? They cost considerably more so you need them to go at least 7 years, I would think.

Thank You

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
skipbee wrote:
You might consider AGM batteries, they are pretty much maintenance free, no water to add. Penn Manufacturing makes the Deka brand which we have used for several years, I will never go back to lead/acid batteries. The AGM's charge quicker, hold the charge better. I just clean the terminals annually. They are not as expensive as the ones you mention, I believe.

Skip why are AGM's better? I heard because you cannot add water to them they won't last as long simply because the water/ electrolyte does evaporate in the long run.

Also does AGM's last longer?

Thank you, Mike

AGM are sealed (they do vent in extreme overcharging) so the hydrogen does not escape. There is recombination inside the battery, thus they do not need water added.

stickbowjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Could you elaborate on that?

Can I just push in that switch on my Lance when I'm on shore power?

Will my battery go dead then? Should I turn it back on when the monitor says the charge is low?

I am weary of buying batteries.

Joe
2012 Ram 3500 diesel, dually
2013 Lance 850
Pretty good truck, pretty good camper.
Just Sally (German Shorthair) and me,
full timing, and shooting and catching
most of our meat.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickbowjoe wrote:
I have bought expensive batteries, and less expensive batteries.

Full timing, plugged into shore power about 60% of the time, they have all gone south in under 2 years.

I am now on my third Autozone biggest, best battery. Or I was last week, when I traded for a new camper.

Good price, 1 year warranty, and they install it.

Works for me.

Batteries are like tires and diesel fuel and engine oil and brake pads to me.

Replace as needed.

Joe
As some have become aware, plugged in to shore power, is a battery killer. Depending on the ATS or Converter, one should disconnect the batteries to keep from killing them. Most Converters have the ability to disconnect the battery charging function. That might save you some of your batteries.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
So are you guys saying that AGM's will last as long as my wet cell batteries have lasted me?

I typically get 5 years on the cheaper deep cycles and 6-7 years with Trojan wet cells.

This with two of the same batteries wired in parallel which makes them last longer since you draw down less before charges.

Lasting a long time is meaningless if the bank doesn't provide power when you want it.

Consider this.

HTH;
John

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is I dont think many have been using AGMs for that long, so the jury may still be out. I can tell you that I now have 4 years out of mine and they are still going strong. For me its worth the extra expense if I dont have to keep an eye on the water levels, assuming that I also get decent service life out of them. In my previous MH I was always messing with those (4) 6 volts which were all wet cells. I even installed one of those automatic refill kits to make life easier but it was still a pain.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
So are you guys saying that AGM's will last as long as my wet cell batteries have lasted me?

I typically get 5 years on the cheaper deep cycles and 6-7 years with Trojan wet cells.

This with two of the same batteries wired in parallel which makes them last longer since you draw down less before charges.

dietrichdr
Explorer
Explorer

This style is the sear die hard platinum and other premium agm batteries

I have two of them in my dodge 2002 diesel very happy
2002 QC Ram 2500 SB CTD 6spd 19.5 vision w/Ohtsu RI-128
2009 Arctic Fox G811S