cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gadget to winterize blacktank flush (pix)

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I made this simple (and cheap) accessory to winterize my black tank flush. I got the three pieces needed at a big box home store.

With the accessory connected as above, I set the pump to bypass mode and then open the outside shower faucet. Anti-freeze flows through the shower hose into the black tank flush system winterizeing both at the same time.
14 REPLIES 14

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Mine (San-T-Flush) has both a backflow preventer at the top of the line and a check valve where you hook up the hose. If I didn't blow it out there would be water stuck between the two. And I can definitely hear water being blown into the tank when I winterize.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I have never winterized the tank flush and never had a problem. There is a check valve in the line at the high point and water drains both ways to empty the line.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
A simpler way to deal with it could be to just press in the check valve at the connection point and let the line bleed free by having it then open at both ends. On the other hand, introducing some pink into the black tank once it is empty is always a good thing. There is always some left in there, and putting in pink will mix with it and hopefully get down into the valve area mixing with any water.

When I had the MH I used to park on my sloped driveway and put a five gallon pail on the outlet, taking out everything I could, then flush and dump the residue into the toilet. After letting it drip out I would close the valve and dump some pink in, then open the valve and ensure the pink was there.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, you need to blow out the BTF, or put pink through it, either one works.

It is not pressurized, with regular system, so if you don't use the flusher, it won't freeze.

I think if you haven't used it for a period of time, it would dry out on its own. However, I wouldn't count on that! It is easy to blow out.

If you have to replace the backflow preventive valve, it can be a big job. They are usually in a tough to get at location.

Jerry

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
It goes up to a backflow thing and then down to the tank. Water doesn't stay in the line. You could blow it out but it is already full of air.

Flush systems and their plumbing may differ. Mine has a back-flow break at a high point in the line. The input side to the break loops around and goes lower than the flush input so some water definitely remains in the line with everything disconnected. I admit that I have not always purged this line and it caused no problem, but now that I know some water remains in the plumbing, I feel better about flushing it with anti-freeze. Besides it does the job at the same time I winterize the outside shower.

PapPappy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't quite understand this"H
Why not just set up a siphon hose by your pump, and then pump the anti-freeze through the system, through the toilet rinse line and down into the holding tank?

I'm sorry, I just don't see what this accomplishes?:?

Edit:
On further head scratching, I realize that you have something that I don't....I have to just connect a hose to the fitting on my black tank, so I don't worry about it freezing, since there is no "line" to worry about. Though I still think that you could probably just pour some A/F into that fitting...it's not a pressurized line, right?
Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau ๐Ÿ™‚
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.๐Ÿ˜ž
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008:B FMCA# F407293
The Pets

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
It goes up to a backflow thing and then down to the tank. Water doesn't stay in the line. You could blow it out but it is already full of air.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I just blew mine clear with air pressure and a clip on tire pressure nozzle to hose line input adapter.

Some people don't have air tanks with their compressor, so use your spare tires air, then pump it up again to the right pressure.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
ADK Camper wrote:
I GIVE UP! I edited this three times trying to get the pictures to post. If someone can fix it I'd appreciate it. I have successfully posted before, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. HELP!

Use the "direct" in photobucket and paste it into the image dialog box. 640 or less max width.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the Direct link provided at the right side of your page.

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
ADK Camper wrote:
I made this simple (and cheap) accessory to winterize my black tank flush. I got the three pieces needed at a big box home store.

With the accessory connected as above, I set the pump to bypass mode and then open the outside shower faucet. Anti-freeze flows through the shower hose into the black tank flush system winterizeing both at the same time.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I take it that you hook your outside shower to the input for your tank rinse?
bumpy

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I GIVE UP! I edited this three times trying to get the pictures to post. If someone can fix it I'd appreciate it. I have successfully posted before, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. HELP!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
All we're getting is "This person has moved or deleted this image".

When it come to winterizing the tank flush, I just use an air fitting to blow it out.