cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator Observation

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
We spent last Thursday thru Sunday dry camping at the Auburn, AL football game. We stayed in an area called the "hayfields" with what I estimate to be about 1,000 other dry campers. People were in all kinds of rigs from A-frame pop ups to Marathon coaches. Everybody had a generator and some had several. They all ran for the whole 3 days due to the heat.

Anyone who says another brand (including Champion and Yamaha) of generator is as "quiet as a Honda" simply doesn't know what they are talking about. All it took was a short walk thru the field and it was very evident that Honda's (EU1000 up to EU7000) were by far the quietest generators running. No doubt about it.

Folks can quote specs all they want but a long walk in the park convinced me. If "quiet" is important to you then there is no other way to go than with Honda.

Also, I saw all kinds of stupid while there. I guess the best example was a generator about 6" from a TT being refueled, in the dark, by a guy smoking a cigarette, probably drunk, while it was still running. Lots of crazy stuff. But we had a good time.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
36 REPLIES 36

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of an open field of football game revelers, how would you like to be taking a walk along a stream adjacent to a dry campground operated by the Forest Service, and not even be able to hear the stream because of the generators going so RVer's can make their coffee and use their microwaves.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
There's the decibels, and then there's the nature of the sounds emitted. Some less pleasing than others, even when a db meter records them as equivalent.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Honda 3K inverter is alot quieter than the my Honda 2k inverter,especially under load and my Onan 4K is slightly quieter than my Generac 4000 XL.

The Honda's are more expensive but there are reports of them lasting 10-20,000 hours.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
And another HHO (Happy Honda Owner) heard from. :B

Make that 2 Happy Honda owners!!!!:B:p
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah but only one generator was mine. The other 999 belonged to someone else. 🙂
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Anyone who says another brand (including Champion and Yamaha) of generator is as "quiet as a Honda" simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

Well having owned two EU2000i gensets myself I guess I don't know what I'm talking about :R ... IMO the equivalent Yamaha EF2000iS is really no different, meaning regardless how "quiet" any manufacturer may claim their gensets may be they're ALL still way too noisy. :M

If "quiet" is important to you then there is no other way to go than with Honda.

Disagree with this as well ... if you really want a "quiet" genset you gotta enclose it in a properly designed quiet box, just as I did ... there's just no comparison between an unenclosed genset and one that is - period.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
And another HHO (Happy Honda Owner) heard from. :B