cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator

rangerheave
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2012 Keystone Passport 3050bh and am in need of a generator which is capable of proving the enough power for coffee pot, microwave, hair dryer etc. I live in Alaska so the air conditioner is not a factor. Additionally, I would want it to be capable of providing power to two refrigerators in my home in the event of a power loss.

What is the minimum size that would be recommended and are there brands besides Honda and Yamaha that I should consider? Ive had my eye on a Honda eu2000i.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
2015 F350 Lariat
2015 Keystone Energy 300fbs "The Darby Queen III"
2009 Polaris Ranger 700 XP
2015 Polaris RZR 570
1 Beautiful Wife
2 Energetic Kids
1 Obnoxious Labradoodle

25 REPLIES 25

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
cblackard wrote:
I have 2 Ryobi 2200W peak (1800W cont) generators with a parallel kit that can run a TT on the 30 amp circuit. The ratings are for each, so thats ~ 4400W and 3600W when in parallel. The noise levels are only a few dBs higher than the Honda. I am please with them so far. Both start easily and both have the eco mode. Both are fairly light weight and makes it easy to use if only a small amount of power is needed for a job. I can just take one along leaving the other one behind.

Purchased at Home Depot for $1250.00 for both gens and parallel kit. Much, much cheaper than a Honda 2000EU and companion gen with parallel kit.

Ryobi.. not really a brand name that oozes quality nor customer service..

Ever buy a Ryobi cordless tool?

They sell the kit (tool with battery and charger) for cheap, the batteries fail quickly and the replacement batteries actually cost MORE than the entire kit does :h and often the batteries are not even available a year after you buy the tool (IE BATTERIES ARE DISCONTINUED) :M

I have rebuilt Ryobi battery packs for family members for the cost of the raw batteries and let me tell you my repaired battery packs for some strange reason last four times longer..

If anything it is better to spend a bit more for at least a Champion, they seem to have an excellent customer service so if for any reason the gen fails during warranty period you have some sort of chance in getting it fixed and even out of warranty sounds like Champion is very responsive to getting replacement parts to you..

Honestly if you are going to buy a Ryobi you may as well buy a Harbor Freight gen for much less, they sell a 2500W inverter gen (no it is not parallel capable) for $499.. HERE

Or buy a Harbor Freight 4Kw non inverter gen for $339 HERE and if you are patient you can get them ON SALE OFTEN at $299.. They ARE the same sound level as a Champion non inverter in the same size..

Harbor Freight gens are a lot like Ryobis when it comes to parts or repair (non existent) but the HF ones will beat the pants off the Ryobi in prices..

cblackard
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 Ryobi 2200W peak (1800W cont) generators with a parallel kit that can run a TT on the 30 amp circuit. The ratings are for each, so thats ~ 4400W and 3600W when in parallel. The noise levels are only a few dBs higher than the Honda. I am please with them so far. Both start easily and both have the eco mode. Both are fairly light weight and makes it easy to use if only a small amount of power is needed for a job. I can just take one along leaving the other one behind.

Purchased at Home Depot for $1250.00 for both gens and parallel kit. Much, much cheaper than a Honda 2000EU and companion gen with parallel kit.
Christopher Blackard

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
rangerheave wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. Does anyone have expedience with the Hyundai HY2000/2800Sei generators? Good reviews and good price on Amazon.

Based on the models you have mentioned, it would seem you are looking for a small, light, and quiet inverter generator.

A friend has the HY2000si and likes it. Not quite as quiet or light as the Honda but it puts out 25% more power (2,000w vs 1,600w) and is a lot less expensive. It is 2,200w peak and often it is the peak output that is used as the model number (the Honda and Champion 2000 models are both 2,000w peak). It was not hard to carry around, at least for me.

I have no experience with the HY2800SEi but oddly enough that model really is 2,800w peak, and 2,600w operating wattage, So the difference between the two is 600w not 800w. I would for sure go with the Champion 3100 inverter over this Hyundai model--the price is not much different.

Michael

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
rangerheave wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. Does anyone have expedience with the Hyundai HY2000/2800Sei generators? Good reviews and good price on Amazon.

In looking at reviews & comparing the Hyundai's to Champion, Champion wins hands down. Look closer at those reviews on Amazon for Hyundai.

Champion has EXCELLENT customer service & support.

If cost is a key factor, consider the Champion Refurbs on Supergen.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

rangerheave
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F350 Lariat
2015 Keystone Energy 300fbs "The Darby Queen III"
2009 Polaris Ranger 700 XP
2015 Polaris RZR 570
1 Beautiful Wife
2 Energetic Kids
1 Obnoxious Labradoodle

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
During the power outage the OP might have to manage power a bit more but still the Honda 2000 will serve him well.
I recommend an extended run fuel tank if outage is fairly common or lengthy.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
According to this Reference Chart, a standard fridge consumes 325watts or draws 2.7A. The starting current is about 13A for 1/2 a second or 1569Watts. The Honda 2000 has a continuous load capability of 1600watts and a peak of 2000. It'll handle 2 standard fridges just won't start them both at the same time. If you want portability for camping, then just get the EU2000i and the companion. If you have to be able to start 2 fridges at home with a single generator, a Yamaha EF3000 Boost will do it.
But for home use, I recommend a Honda ES6500 or comparable. I have one and it'll run my well pump, 2 fridges, 2 freezers, a/c, and even an electric stove(not while the well pump is running).
For occasional camping, the Honda 2000's are great. Plus the neighboring campers don't mind the quiet if in a no hookup campground.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
krobbe wrote:
I use a Honda EU2000 for boondocking. It'll run everything in the rig. Just not at the same time. It'll even run my 13.5AC unit if everything else is off, including the converter. Have done this twice when it was just too hot and humid at night. 99% of the time the MaxAir Fan provides plenty of airflow for sleeping. Love my Honda. I've had it since 2002 and it still runs great and is quiet as ever.

Nothing wrong with a Honda 2000 BUT the OP is wanting to be able to run TWO residential fridges for their home and possibly other high wattage draw items.

While it may be possible to run TWO residential fridges at the same time the STARTUP SURGE current of those two fridges most likely will exceed the capacity of a single Honda 2000. Running current isn't the problem but the startup will be.

Personally since the OP doesn't need A/C while camping a Honda 2000i would possibly work but adding in recharging batteries PLUS any other high current device will require continual manual load control/shedding.. Sounds like a real PITA to me. OP most likely would need two Honda 2000i gens for camping if they do not want to babysit the high powered loads.

I would bump up to a min of 3Kw 120V only gen for camping (then you can allow batteries to recharge AND be able to brew your cup of Joe at the same time) and 4Kw 120/240V or higher gen for home backup power.. It would make life much easier and isn't that is what it is about when you are setting up backup power?

Sure the bigger gen for home will be noisier but you can take measures like placing it away from the house and or build a small shelter/building not attached to the house for it to live and operate in..

Distance and sound barriers can make a non inverter gen much quieter for home use and I personally don't like operating a generator on a house porch, breezeway or attached garage/building for safety reasons.

Having two different gens also gives you redundant backup power so if one gen has a failure you at least have another to use (remember the OP IS in Alaska and may have a long drive to the nearest place that sells generators)..

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
YAMAHA 2400,JMO
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Honda EU2000 for boondocking. It'll run everything in the rig. Just not at the same time. It'll even run my 13.5AC unit if everything else is off, including the converter. Have done this twice when it was just too hot and humid at night. 99% of the time the MaxAir Fan provides plenty of airflow for sleeping. Love my Honda. I've had it since 2002 and it still runs great and is quiet as ever.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Strange! I said early on that the OP needs to total up what he/she plans to use at one time and to add in the converter requirements.
My Honda 2000 will drag down quickly. It doesn't like to run on eco until the batteries are pretty much charged completely.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
rangerheave wrote:
I own a 2012 Keystone Passport 3050bh and am in need of a generator which is capable of proving the enough power for coffee pot, microwave, hair dryer etc. I live in Alaska so the air conditioner is not a factor. Additionally, I would want it to be capable of providing power to two refrigerators in my home in the event of a power loss.

What is the minimum size that would be recommended and are there brands besides Honda and Yamaha that I should consider? Ive had my eye on a Honda eu2000i.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I would suggest taking a separate power audit of your RV needs and your home needs. In other words make a list of the items you want or need to run.

On that list you put down the wattage needed to run the item then prioritize the items on the list and mark down what items you might want to run at the same time..

You have a lot of high wattage items listed, microwave which might be listed as 1,000W but in reality will actually draw 1,500W which if you are limited to a single Honda 2000i would be the only thing you could run (no coffee maker and micro at the same time)..

Your home needs and your camping needs may be the same or may not be the same so a written list of home and RV items is a good idea.

On the RV side you will also need to factor in the converter for recharging your batteries which you may not need for home use (a 60A converter can draw 800W-1000W while recharging deeply depleted batteries). But at home you might have a water pump or other high surge motor devices like residential fridges.. or even 240V items (which eliminates a Honda 2000i and many other 120V only gens).

I suspect that you may need to buy two different gens, one for home useage and one for camping. There is nothing wrong with that, in fact that is the direction I am going.. I have been making due with a 4Kw 120V only gen to run a few lights, woodburner fan, one fridge and one freezer in my home.. The 120V only gen however cannot run my water well which is a 240V motor..

The 4Kw 120V only gen does cover all my needs for camping but leaves a lot to be desired for my home needs. So, I now looking at some 7Kw-8Kw 120/240V gens for home use and keep the 4Kw 120V only gen mainly for camping..

I do have a 120V 2Kw (non inverter) gen but it is really not enough wattage for home or camping use so it is going on the chopping block..

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
rangerheave wrote:
I own a 2012 Keystone Passport 3050bh and am in need of a generator which is capable of proving the enough power for coffee pot, microwave, hair dryer etc.

First, check the actual wattage draw on all three of those appliances. If you intend on running all three at the "same time" will determine what Gen you will need. :B
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Champion 3500/4000. I used it for a few days when our power was out. It ran 2 large refridgerators, a small freezer, and a couple of CFL lamps all at the same time. Worked for me!