cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting ready to upgrade trailer and TV

d50erock
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready to buy a new 312bhds Coachman Freedom Express Liberty Edition. I am also going to get a dedicated tow vehicle. I currently have a larger TT, 2003 295 DBS Gulfstream Conquest. What should I expect for a trade in and what things should I get new? Being I have a TT already most of the stuff I need I have already. I have 1000lb bars and I believe they will need to be upgraded to 1200lb bars. What should I have the dealer include in the deal?

As for the tow vehicle I am going to get 3/4 ton suburban or Yukon XL with the 8.1L. They have a 12000 towing capacity. So I expect it to be capable.
10 REPLIES 10

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I currently see 15 Suburbans with the 8.1L(keyword in search) in Autotrader.com.
I looked for ones from Texas and Arizona for rust free when I bought mine a few years back. It'll carry a family of 6 quite comfortably. I've done 3 adults and 4 kids on month long trips twice now. I highly recommend the Burb 8.1L for family camping.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
With 4 kids, I would recommend that you look for a 3500 Van. I recommend the off-rental Express. The 2014s had back up cameras, the 6.0 and 6sp, side curtain airbags, and get 17 mpg empty.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

d50erock
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah as for the hitch setup I have a basic Husky round bar setup with 2 sway control bars on each side. I am defiantly going to upgrade for sure. I do like the Husky centerline. The Propride is nice looking but wow pricey. I may go for the Husky and if I find it is not enough I'll plan to upgrade to the ProPride setup. Is it possible to use the Husky sway control setups in conjunction with the centerline setup?

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
With an almost 1000lb dry tw, you will probably want at least 1400-1500lb bars. The "brochure" dry tw usually doesn't include the weight of the propane tanks or a battery. Those will put you close to 1200lbs before loading anything else in the trailer.

Good luck in you search for a 2500 'Burb or Excursion. If you find one of the GM Twins, check the factory hitch very closely. There have been some failures of that style factory hitch.

As mentioned, look into the Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, Equal-I-Zer 4 way system, or possibly the Blue Ox system. Depending on your loaded tw, the Hensley or ProPride systems are rated even better. But the max tw is 1400lbs for both of these systems.

Good luck!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

d50erock
Explorer
Explorer
With 4 kids a crew cab would be miserable when we do our trips to Disney, 20 plus hours with a child in the middle front seat wont be fun. I have been looking at the Excursion diesels today. I am finding not a lot of the 8.1l suburban/ Yukon XLs out there. Looked at a Yukon XL today, had lots of rust and needed some work. Felt it was not what I am looking for.

As for selling it private party, I'll take your advise. I know with autos it's the same, low ball the trade in offer and jack it up for resale.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
It will be difficult to find a decent 3/4 ton Suburban or Excursion. They have not made the big ones since 2005 and they are highly sought after. Affordable examples will have issues and ALOT of miles. I would suggest getting a crew-cab 3/4 ton PU. Plenty more affordable examples of those trucks available with far less miles/issues for the same money.

I would also upgrade the hitch to a Blue-ox Sway-Pro or Equalizer 4 point W/sway control. I prefer the Blue Ox for it's ease of adjustment and quietness.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You will want at least a ~$500 WDH with integrated sway control, possibly the premium WDH of $2-3k. Plenty of engine and suspension, but the wheelbase...

I recommend buying the new TT, transferring all the stuff, then selling the old outright.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
The whole thing about trading in a rig when purchasing a new RV is no matter what the dealer wins big. Many believe they got the deal of a lifetime but in reality the dealer makes out and then some. To get the maximum return for your current rig selling it yourself will yield the most $$$ for your investment.

Get as much info about pricing on your current rig and your new rig, RvTrader.com usually will have a good selection of similar rigs and pricing from across the nation. Arming yourself with as much info as possible allows you to get a price where dealer makes their profit margin but not much more.

Next door neighbor has a Suburban with the 8.1 engine, it is a powerhouse and should do an effective job as long as there is fuel in the tank. That is a long TT and a stout WD/SC hitch would greatly enhance towing comfort on windy days and when traveling at interstate speeds. Enjoy your new TT and TV!!!

d50erock
Explorer
Explorer
I am not getting a newer truck. The 8.1L were only out for a short while in the larger SUVs. My year range is 2001 through 2005.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer seems like a lot of weight for an SUV. The UVW is 7,800 lbs. from their brochure. The 2016 GM models have a max trailer weight of 7900 lbs. with the HD towing package.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton