cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting shocked.

mudbud255
Explorer
Explorer
Ok we just bought this camper 3 weeks ago. 2008 Explorer made by frontier rv. The dealer had it set up when we did the walk through, everything was fine. Set it up at home everything fine. We set it up today to pack it and get it ready for our first trip, had it plugged in and the stabilizers down, the AC on and my wife and I were inside and my teenage son tried to open the door from the outside and got shocked pretty good. I went out side and grabbed the door and nothing happened until he grabbed me, then we both got shocked real good. Now he is barefoot when this happens, he gets shocked real bad when he steps on the steps also. We had our daughter try it barefoot also and as long as they are standing barefoot on the ground when they touch the metal on the trailer they get shocked. And it's not just a little trickle is a good jolt. I might add also that we are plugged in from an adapter from the camper 30 amp plug to a standard 110 extension cord to the outlet on the house. Is it something I'm doing or what? Need help please.
37 REPLIES 37

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
you probably have a couple of issues. One the extension cord maybe and two, the outside receptacle should be ground fault based and should have trip previously and three, possibly a ground / neutral issue in the trailer wiring.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Problem has to be with the receptacle then in the house side... Need to measure them....

Sometimes the ground wires gets not installed and has becomes diconnected some how...

I lucked on my house setup and had an abandoned 20AMP circuit where previous owner had an air compressor setup... This was the only thing being used on this circuit breaker in the house... With the breaker being 20AMPS I got to use more juice haha...

This is going to be a great thing for you to have when camping. lots of times I have run into I needed to power up from a house 15/20AMP receptable. Great to have it all working good...

Try a different receptacle location perhaps but it best to use a tester to know for sure it is wired properly on the house side... Mine only cost arund $10 as I recall from LOWES.

Hopefully your 30AMP shore power plug doesn't look like this one. This is what happens to them when you don't use the lohg DOGBONE type RV Adapter..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mudbud255
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Royb I have a contractor grade extension cord, I believe it's 10 gauge and the same adapter plug that you have pictured. The kids without shoes on, are they acting like a ground audio 0 they touch the camper. My daughter was fine until she came out and was standing on the steps.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
The only way your trailer sees the frame grounding is through the three wire connection you make to your house...

Or, in this case, the kids are grounding the trailer. :S

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only way your trailer sees the frame grounding is through the three wire connection you make to your house...

You really have to respect this as what may just be a tingle shock to you might have real bad results to someone else or a small animal etc... UNPLUG your cables until you figure out what is wrong...

Two things to check... You have to be sure your are using all three conductors. Sometime folks cut off the GROUND PIN on the extension cords for some reason.

Then you need to check to see if the receptacle is wired properly... I use one of those CIRCUIT TESTERS from LOWES plugged into the 120VAC Receptacle in the house side... It will tell you the ground is not connected properly.

I also always use a 10 gauge (10-3) HD contractor grade extension cord... However a 12 GAUGE will work also. The smaller gauges red/orange 16-gauge cables from the WALMART is too small and will get hot on you especially if you are using your air conditioner.

I also always use the RV30A-15A LONG DOGBONE type RV adapters that looks like this..

Using the small round adapters would always get hot for me and eventually will burn up your good cords...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing I would check is polarity on the outlet at the house.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
First thing, unplug it!

Next Google trailer hot skin and you will learn a lot of good repairs as well as bad information.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
mudbud255 wrote:
.......snip......

We had our daughter try it barefoot also and as long as they are standing barefoot on the ground when they touch the metal on the trailer they get shocked. .....

snip.......

wow. like, just, oh wow......