cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the spare tire out....

Rotaxxx
Explorer
Explorer
I got looking at the spot to put the crank in to get my spare tire out of my truck and seen I won't be able to get it out with the truck camper on. So if i need to get my spare out on the road I would have to unload the camper, to get it out. Wife said that if we got a flat to call CAA and let them deal with it instead. What do you others do if you need to get your spare out? Take it out and mount it some where else?
55 REPLIES 55

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Noticed that very seldom 18-wheelers carry a spare?

In this part of the world they do and I always did.I have changed my fair share of inside duallies with a full load of logs/grain or a flatbed full of lumber.But it makes it much easier with a impact wrench tied into the air system.

The impact wrench spoiled me on changing tires and I carry one with me in my pickup where-ever I go..Zap-Zap without breaking a sweat.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
I don't think CAA will touch camper.
Than having emergency coverage, you can request tire shop to come with new tire and replace the original one.
Noticed that very seldom 18-wheelers carry a spare? At the best they carry spare tire only.
They have coverage for it.

Don't know about that actually. Having driven an '18 wheeler' for 30 years, I never worried much about flats unless it was a steer because all the rest were duals, so if one tire was flat, you had an already mounted spare to get you to a truck stop. Think I had 2 steer tires go flat. Those were road service deals on the berm. You aren't going anywhere.

Additiuonally, heavy truck tires have a lot thicker carcass and more plies than a light truck tire, harder to puncture.

No road service will touch a camper, it's an insurance liability issue.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think CAA will touch camper.
Than having emergency coverage, you can request tire shop to come with new tire and replace the original one.
Noticed that very seldom 18-wheelers carry a spare? At the best they carry spare tire only.
They have coverage for it.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Rotaxxx wrote:
I got looking at the spot to put the crank in to get my spare tire out of my truck and seen I won't be able to get it out with the truck camper on. So if i need to get my spare out on the road I would have to unload the camper, to get it out. Wife said that if we got a flat to call CAA and let them deal with it instead.

And when CAA shows up, unless they just happen to have a tire/wheel with your exact bolt pattern, SOMEONE is going to be unloading your camper. Want it to be them or you?
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

dhull
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
I do have a question about the front mount spare tire carrier... Why is the tire leaning back in Emcvay's picture? Is there a reason why it's mounted like that? I think if I made a mount, I'd want the tire to ride vertical but maybe there is a reason for it that I don't understand.

Could someone explain????

If it needs to be like that I can make one like that...

They do look kind of redneck but then I am a redneck, Michigan redneck farmer that is....

It's likely he has used a Curt mount. I ordered one but sent it back because of the angle it held the tire. The Reese mount I used on our truck was better but still angled back more than seemed necessary.

Tee
Explorer
Explorer
The one time I had a flat. It was an inside dual and I dont even know when it went flat. Noticed the outside dual was “squished” more than usual when I walked by in the morning.

Edit: I need to fix my sig. I dont own either of those anymore!
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie 4x4
2015 Raptor 300MP ~ FOR SALE
Mega Cab Dually CTD 4x4 ~ Sold
Lance 861 ~ Sold

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
work2much wrote:
Honestly in 4 truck campers over 20 years we have never had a flat...knock on wood.. I do stay prepared keeping the spare aired up. I have always assumed that I would need to raise the camper off the truck enough to get the spare out if that day ever comes as well as take some weight off to use the cheapie screw jack that comes with the truck.

Don't agitate the 'God of flat tires'... You go on a trip and wake up to 2 flats...:E
2015 Backpack SS1500

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly in 4 truck campers over 20 years we have never had a flat...knock on wood.. I do stay prepared keeping the spare aired up. I have always assumed that I would need to raise the camper off the truck enough to get the spare out if that day ever comes as well as take some weight off to use the cheapie screw jack that comes with the truck.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Bedlam
245/70R19.5 fit in the OEM location even with the larger SuperHitch installed. If you have a card with a serial number on it in your documentation, that is the key code to order a replacement. I kept mine with the crank handle, but it originally comes in a zip lock pouch with the serialized card.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

tad94564
Explorer
Explorer
IF it's a Ford Superduty, make **** sure you have the lock for the spare tire.. Mine's missing (I bought it used, they probably threw it out when they prepped the truck for resale), did not realize it had one until I had a flat.

Plan is to remove it anyway, I'm running 19.5's and it's a 16" E rated rotted 17 year old tire anyway.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Kayteg1, that's a heavy spare.

The wheels for my motorhome weight 190 lb and I was able to lift them off the ground at the time to slide over the hub.
So what is 80-90 lb wheel even for a guy in his "prime years" 😉
Coming to front mount, using Ford tow eye for mount had disadvantage of obstructing the light, so I think front hitch would be better.
I mounted front hitch on my new truck for generator carrying, but doesn't take much to buy or manufacture wheel mount.
The hitch was less than $200 and I already used it several times on very different tasks.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do have a question about the front mount spare tire carrier... Why is the tire leaning back in Emcvay's picture? Is there a reason why it's mounted like that? I think if I made a mount, I'd want the tire to ride vertical but maybe there is a reason for it that I don't understand.

Could someone explain????

If it needs to be like that I can make one like that...

They do look kind of redneck but then I am a redneck, Michigan redneck farmer that is....
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

I've consider that myself. My truck is so old I'd have to fabricate a mount. and it would have to be hinged so the tire laid down on the ground to remove it from the mount.

Come-on Flip. You are fellow metal fabricator and you can do that.
For my 2000 F250 I made a clamp on factory tow eye so 1 lb of steel, 1 big bolt to clamp it and about 1 hr of work.
I would advise the idea to each TC owner who drive SRW.
The spare wheel moved from behind rear axle onto front bumper took close to 300 lb from rear axle, so sure increased safety and handling, even if it looks Redneck 😉

Kayteg..

My issue is, I don't have the stock suspension on the old girl. I extensively modified the front and rear suspension many years ago so to fit a front spare tire carrier would entail a bunch of fab and welding work and I'm getting old and don't want to.

I did an axle flip on the front and got rid of the front swing shackles with a fabricated weldment that runs across the frame ends. The truck sits high, 6 over stock. Kind of wish I didn't do it now, it's a pain to get in and out of even with steps. My wife has to use a step stool to get in. It did really improve the ride and handling. The old F350's rode like tanks with those huge stack of leaf springs. I have 7 leaves in the back and 5 in the front on each side. It's a tank by today's standards. Made all the spring pivots greaseable too. Added Thompson linear roller bearings in each pivot point in place of the stock rubber bushings. 15 zerks just on the front end. 4 more out back plus the driveline.

I may anyhow this winter. I have the steel in the barn to do it. Looked at making one with a winch mount and tire carrier and it would get the weight from the back end even though my tire and wheel assembly isn't that heavy with the Alcoa forged rims.

Never planned on keeping it for 20 years back then.

Probably should get a new one but I don't want the DEF and all the headaches of the pollution hardware. Mine has no pollution hardware at all and she does 21 with the camper in the bed.

Besides, a new truck cost more than I paid for the farm.
2015 Backpack SS1500

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1, that's a heavy spare.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:

I've consider that myself. My truck is so old I'd have to fabricate a mount. and it would have to be hinged so the tire laid down on the ground to remove it from the mount.

Come-on Flip. You are fellow metal fabricator and you can do that.
For my 2000 F250 I made a clamp on factory tow eye so 1 lb of steel, 1 big bolt to clamp it and about 1 hr of work.
I would advise the idea to each TC owner who drive SRW.
The spare wheel moved from behind rear axle onto front bumper took close to 300 lb from rear axle, so sure increased safety and handling, even if it looks Redneck 😉