cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Diesel Development Center sold to European Interests

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Well it looks like GM Centre that developed the 3 litre Diesel for the Silverado , has been sold to the Belgian Punch Group, who wanted to buy Holden in 2016 but was rejected.

"Now we’ll turn our attention back to the Old Continent, namely to the city of Turin in Italy. The Big G is running an engineering center there – General Motors Propulsion Systems, which was formerly known as GM Powertrain Europe. This is the place where the U.S. manufacturer researched and developed the 1.6- and 3.0-liter turbo diesels powering the North American versions of the Chevrolet Equinox, Silverado 1500 pickup truck, as well as the all-new 2021 Cadillac Escalade.

General Motors’ employees in Turin will soon work for the Punch Group, which has acquired the company for an undisclosed amount of euros. "
16 REPLIES 16

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
One good solar flare overloading the electric grid with CME and a lot of stranded people in their electric vehicles.

Look up the Carrington event. Has happened recently but not as destructive. March 13 2009 Eastern Seaboard and Canada, And in 1989.

CME is similar to EMP.

Of coarse large enough burst and the electronics of a modern vehicle would be toast as well along with all other electronics.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam 1 wrote:

Can you cite basis for you saying so? 

European Pedestrian Safety Laws. Wedge design fairly dangerous to pedestrians
Yosemite Sam 1 wrote:
I'm so sorry for them then, they'll only have Rivian to choose from, LOL.

I am afraid they will have little impact as Europeans are not great fans of Pickups and most European manufacturers have EV derivatives of current vehicles and EV only ones :E

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
GM is seeing the writing on the wall.

There are several countries banning diesel cars on cities.

No the Company buying it sees the writing on the wall as diesels will be part of the mix up to 2050 even in Europe. They are banning ALL ICE vehicles in some cities, not Diesel in the country
As I posted previously this appears to be the huge downsizing by GM to stay afloat, people buying the businesses can see potential for growth.PSA who bought Opel and Vauxhall turned those businesses around quickly. Now PSA is driving FCA into a merger and ironically make it more European

I wonder as to their timeline to get a reasonable returns on their investments.

In Europe, EV is outselling ICE whenever they can get their hands on.

When Cybertruck and Tesla semis hit the European market, that would definitely crowd out and displace their diesel commercial and consumer truck sector.

Basically No. Cybetruk is illegal in Europe. Tesla is a bit player like in the US. No EV's are not outselling anything. EV's are not demand driven, they are regulation driven.
What is not questioned is why the Punch Group is buying a supposed clunker, if Ev's are everywhere. If Diesels were supposedly unprofiable the Centre would be closed rsther than sold

This is just GM's way to put all their eggs in one basket. Pretty high risk strategy. Hopefully they do not go the way of Packard. Especially given electric is in its infancy and no guarantee it is not the rebound date of energy.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

No the Company buying it sees the writing on the wall as diesels will be part of the mix up to 2050 even in Europe. They are banning ALL ICE vehicles in some cities, not Diesel in the country
As I posted previously this appears to be the huge downsizing by GM to stay afloat, people buying the businesses can see potential for growth.PSA who bought Opel and Vauxhall turned those businesses around quickly. Now PSA is driving FCA into a merger and ironically make it more European

When Cybertruck and Tesla semis hit the European market, that would definitely crowd out and displace their diesel commercial and consumer truck sector.

Basically No. Cybetruk is illegal in Europe. Tesla is a bit player like in the US. No EV's are not outselling anything. EV's are not demand driven, they are regulation driven.
What is not questioned is why the Punch Group is buying a supposed clunker, if Ev's are everywhere. If Diesels were supposedly unprofiable the Centre would be closed rsther than sold

Can you cite basis for you saying so?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Europe wants diesels out of their large cities.

Exacttly, and crazy on everything electric!

Actually it isNOT the case. That is why the Centre was quickly sold to the Punch group

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Exacttly, and crazy on everything electric!

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting observation, Robert.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Is GM giving up on future diesels? This would let them fully concentrate on electric power.

Yes, but I think it represents a huge downsizing of GM from a Global player to a NA or regional one