cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM, Ford or Dodge?

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
Need to upgrade our 2004 Duramax to better tow our new, heavier fifth wheel. Want a one ton, dually, diesel, long bed, 4x4, crew cab with most available options. It would be a 2014 Dodge or Ford or a 2015 GM.

Have any of you gone through this comparison recently and objectively?

Prices (via Costco auto buying program) are all almost identical...dealer cost in all cases, which amounts to about $5,000 off MSRP.

What were the deciding factors in your choice?
Doug & Juanita
2014 Cedar Creek Touring Edition
The Cedar Creek RV Owners Club
55 REPLIES 55

Larry_1190
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard, Yes it was.

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
Larry1190
Is $40k with the trade in.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Larry_1190
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I traded my 2005 GMC 3500 SLT DRW/CC w/61000 miles and was garage kept only used to pull my 37' Carriage Carri-Lite camper. I got a 2014 GMC 3500 Denali HD CC/DRW loaded. Check this deal out, they installed Mud Flaps, Rhino Spray in Bed Liner, Fifth Wheel Wiring Harness, All new Brackets and Rails for my 5th Wheel Plate and a New Tonneau cover. Out the door $40,000.

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be able to get between $10-15k off a new ram.
A dealer in So Cal has a 3500 SRW 4x4 with Laramie package for almost $12k off sticker. That's without negotiating.
Don't pay over invoice.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Hotel_Californi
Explorer
Explorer
Original poster here again. Thanks for all of the replies. Appreciate all of the opinions and facts. I think I have crossed the Ford off of the list. It may be a good truck, but there is just something about the way they look that I can't get past.

Leaning toward the RAM, but without the Aisin transmission. Will probably wait until I can actually see a new (2015) GMC Sierra Denali before we decide. Interestingly, you can no longer order a 2014 GMC, yet they cannot tell you when the 2015's will be available or what they will cost. Screwy way to run the business...

Thanks again to all.
Doug & Juanita
2014 Cedar Creek Touring Edition
The Cedar Creek RV Owners Club

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
The new GM HDs with all new interiors and bigger cabs with the proven duramax would be on my list to check out. The new GMs especially the GMC look so fine to me !! all will do the job !!

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Well if you are sold on the allison and think it is made as robust etc.as the big allisons and bullet proof head up to Northern Alberta area and ask about the famous 3rd. gear issues with the small Allison from the boys that are working hard 4x4 in the oil fields and bush roads.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not looked recently for comparisons. Why would I? My 06 has served faithfully for over 140,000 miles. Must be near 80,000 miles towing a heavy trailer. I like my Isusu/duramax/whatever. That old tried & true tranny works well too. Both are more than well taken care of. The rest of the truck has stood up well too. Only normal wear & tear stuff has needed attention.

I had a policy with boats. Never buy year one of a model. It is bound to have problems that are worked out by the time the next model year comes out. Same with vehicles. Let somebody else be first on the block to have one.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford interior is nice, Ram is right there close. I would say my longhorn interior is as nice as my 2011 F350 Lariat was. There are many things I miss about the Ford, but overall very happy with my Ram.
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Can I have a Cummins with an Allison tranny, Chevy ride & maybe Ford interior?
2WD dually would be fine since I am a summer driver & always carry a tow rope so that some big bad guy with his 4X4 can tow me out should I get stuck once every 100,000 miles or so.

You haven't looked at new truck recently have you!

Interiors and suspensions have changed a lot too.

I looked at trucks today, Dodge, and GM. Their store are side by side in Lincolnton. They still can't touch the Ford interior. My 2004 has a better interior than a 2014 GM, or Dodge.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely wait til I could climb into a 15' GMC or Chevy before I made my decision. Those things look very nice.... well on paper anyway.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Engineer9860 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
2WD dually would be fine since I am a summer driver & always carry a tow rope so that some big bad guy with his 4X4 can tow me out should I get stuck once every 100,000 miles or so.

You don't wan't the Ally behind a Cummins. Both the Ford and Ram have better trans - they just don't have a "name". But they're both stronger and more positive shifting and use much more modern technology.

Do you want to back that up with some facts?

How about the Ram/Aisin tranny is new, and hasn't built a long term reputation. Ya' feelin' lucky? Signing up to be the beta tester?

The Allison does have a long reputation and it is an excellent one.

Aisin has been around many years, and the
Ram chassis cab has the Aisin starting 2007.5 models.
http://www.aisin.com/profile/history/
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/aisin.html

"In 2013, Ram switched to the more robust AS69RC automatic, which also had some control changes for greater durability, and extended availability to the Ram 3500 pickup; Ram also claimed a 1% gain in transmission efficiency, with better driveability. Once again, the Aisin transmission was only available with diesel engines (though it was now standard on some high performance diesels); Ram introduced a dual transmission cooler setup at the same time, along with a transmission fluid heating system. The AS69RC has three planetary gear-sets, one over-running clutch, and full electronic control over shifting and the torque converter clutch."

It is $2900 option that I would gladly include in a new truck order.

One has to also realize with any of these new vehicles you are much more closely tethered to the manufacturers service department. Remember the old saying "phone home"!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Not knocking the other transmissions, but the Aisin certainly isn't new. It has been used in the 4500 and 5500's since RAM introduced the trucks.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

You don't wan't the Ally behind a Cummins. Both the Ford and Ram have better trans - they just don't have a "name". But they're both stronger and more positive shifting and use much more modern technology.

Do you want to back that up with some facts?

How about the Ram/Aisin tranny is new, and hasn't built a long term reputation. Ya' feelin' lucky? Signing up to be the beta tester?

The Allison does have a long reputation and it is an excellent one.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Engineer9860
Explorer
Explorer
I have been really satisfied with the Chevrolet trucks I have owned. Excellent service, capability, reliability. So much so that I have no reason to look at the other brands.
In Memoriam: Liberty Belle