cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM SUV Quality opinions wanted. Maybe expedition ecoboost.

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
I really want some first hand experience with the 2007-2014 and 2015 and up GM Suv's. In my mind right now GM built there best QUALITY suv's from 2000-2006. I think they are far superior to 2007-2014 suv's. I don't know if GM ever fixed some of the issues from 2007-2012 in the later 13 and 14's. (dash cracking, door handles falling off, just very cheap in general plastic. I know they fixed the motor issues with the 07 and 08's. How are the new 2015 + quality and reliability wise? Did they fix some of the cheap plastic? How is the new ecotec motor doing for everybody?

Also I noticed the expedition with ecoboost generally tows about 1,00lbs more than the best GM's. I know these motors are powerful but I also know there are a lot of reliability issues I have seen. Anybody out there towing with the new expeditions with the ecoboost? How are they holding up?
34 REPLIES 34

Jeeperinmoab
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 07 Suburban. It towed ok. It was by no means the fastest on the road. Recently traded it in for a 2015 Expedition EL. Night and day difference in towing. On hills that my Suburban would be going up at 45 mph the Expedition cruises up at 65 mph. Hooked up the trailer for a test tow when I had it for a weekend on the test drive. I haven’t taken it on any long tris yet as we just picked up the Expedition after I winterized the trailer this fall. I am excited to see how it does this summer as we have a 2000 mile trip planned in June.
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
2017 Cruiser RV MPG2800QB

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see from my signature, we are Eco-Boost enthusiasts haha! The vehicles in my signature are our 2nd and 3rd 3.5EBs (we previously had a 2013 F150 for awhile with one). We've had zero problems. I drive the Explorer as a daily driver about 32 miles round trip, but around an hour and a half time-wise. I've also taken it on a few long road trips. I can't think of another SUV I'd rather drive unless we get up into very high end territory (like Range Rovers). I do not tow much with it though so I can't speak to that.

And, I don't recommend this, but we briefly pulled our old bumper pull toy hauler with the previous 2013 F150 and the power was more than enough to handle it... it was probably 9000lbs loaded up. Now, pulling a trailer that size with an F150 was a bad idea for many other reasons, but engine power was not one of them.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
Here is some perspective that may be useful. Back a few years ago one of my many "Working While Retired" jobs I had a chance to drive both new and two year old FORD and CHEVY/GMC SUVS hauling railroad crews all around the state of North Dakota and parts of Montana. Winter and summer.

Here is my experience with those vehicles:

The Ford expeditions Long Wheelbase with three rows of seats from new to over 250,000 miles (in two years) At 250k to 300K they remained quiet, rattle free, engines powerful and responsive, and all controls still working well. Interiors held up very well.

Sadly the Chevy/GMC Suburban class didnt fare nearly as well. Every one I drove in the high mileage ranges had serious rattles, interiors ratted out, Controls not working (like cruise, radio etc) They were much noisier than the Fords and worse of all their engines seemed to give up and need replacelment at a much higher rate than the Fords.

I actually came to this job looking forward to driving the Suburban a vehicle I had always admired and never driven. I soon started to avoid driving them whenever possible.

Now Preventative and routine Maintenance was all the same for both types of vehicles and these vehicles were driven by many different people 24 hours a day and all vehicles went to the same places. (Thus obviating any ideas of one vehicle being favored over the other. Except for th fact that many other drivers like me preferred the Fords and if one was available we'd take that instead of the Chevy's meaning the fords actually worked MORE.

As for terrain covered about 15% of driving was off road in 4WD mode during winter or spring.

That sold me on never buying a Suburban.

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2009 suburban with 330,000 miles on it , still feels new and tight. I am very impressed with the 17 to 18 average mpg and can get 20 on the highway. I love suburbans, and have had every kind from 94 on. From diesels to big block 8.1 . The 5.3 is the most common to me , and feel they are very strong and low maintenance.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I can’t speak for Ford, don’t own one, neighbors got one. But I can speak for the GM product. My opinion only, the LS engine in the Chevy is really a reliable and cheap engine to own. I don’t have any issues with my 6.0and have seen several 5.3 and 6.0 go over 300k easy with no issues or major repairs. The 6 speed or the 8 speed should be good. I have the 6 speed and zero issues. Ford does produce a lot of power with the ecoboost. I think it’s a solid engine as well. I just like simple designed long lasting, easy to work on engines, so hence I stick with GM’s LS series engines. Good luck on your decision, I think they both are good. Let us know what you get!
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Previously owned a 2001 Suburban, as my sig below shows, we have two GMT900 trucks.

The Suburban has been absolutely amazing and trouble-free. Less than $100 in repairs over the last 5 years.

The Sierra Denali has had some repairs - front half-shaft and wheel bearing, rotors warping (I believe the half-ton trucks are underbraked).

Both trucks are superior in just about every way to my 2001 Suburban. Neither one has a single crack in the dash, but the Denali had two of the door handles do the razor blade trick. Cheap and easy to replace.

And the 2500 is a superb tow vehicle. Yes, in absolute terms, it's not as good as an GMT800 with the 8.1, but it moves my 900-lb family of 5 and 8600-lb trailer just fine, including the high passes in the Rockies. I'll happily sacrifice a little towing capacity to have my 4 heated seats, power tailgate, remote start, heated steering wheel and other nice goodies.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Nice story. OP asked about newer ones though.

"I really want some first hand experience with the 2007-2014 and 2015 and up GM Suv's."

I guess I read the OP wrong. I thought he was asking for experience with the 2007-2014 and 2015 and up GM Suv's.
I thought my 2008 fell into that range. We learn something new all the time. 🙂

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2010 Suburban 1500 has no issues at 120,000 miles. We did rent a 2017 Expedition EL this past year on a trip and liked third row seats better. The Ecoboost was definitely more powerful but didn't have much engine braking as the V8 in our Suburban.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Tahoe with 79K miles. No issues other than a battery last Monday.
Only towing was our bass boat ever now & then, no rv experience but my Daughter tows a 24 ft with a 2009 Yukon.

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
The 2015 has about 75k miles. We did have a fuel pump go out last month ($600) but that's not an Ecoboost issue.

I know, I read about those problems too and even avoided the Ecoboost on my 2013 (bought the 5.0), but have been pleased with the Ecos we've purchased.

I generally don't buy extended warranties, and never had any regret so far.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
bogeygolfer wrote:
Only about 18,000 so far. No problems. We had a 2008 before that (had the 5.4 V8) and put 120,000 on that one with few problems.

The Ecoboost has been good in the Expy, and also two F150 company vehicles (2015 and 2017) in our fleet.

If you're looking at a used Expedition, maybe a 2016 or 2017 model would be a good buy. Some people don't like the looks as much, but I'll tell you I much prefer the lower price and actually I think the visibility is better. Also, it's easier for my short wife to access items through the rear hatch (window glass) of the old expy. But the new interiors are pretty great.

Are either of your F150 company vehicles past 60K miles? I have read around a little on the ecoboost and it seems like they start having problems after 60K costing big money. Although I have seen some posts having no problems way up in the 100K range. If I went with the ecoboost I think I would just have to buy a warranty.

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Only about 18,000 so far. No problems. We had a 2008 before that (had the 5.4 V8) and put 120,000 on that one with few problems.

The Ecoboost has been good in the Expy, and also two F150 company vehicles (2015 and 2017) in our fleet.

If you're looking at a used Expedition, maybe a 2016 or 2017 model would be a good buy. Some people don't like the looks as much, but I'll tell you I much prefer the lower price and actually I think the visibility is better. Also, it's easier for my short wife to access items through the rear hatch (window glass) of the old expy. But the new interiors are pretty great.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
bogeygolfer wrote:
We have a 2016 Expedition EL, and also a 2012 Yukon Denali XL. (This is the old body style of Expedition, but has the twin turbo). Yukon has been virtually trouble-free for 120,000 miles. Expedition engine is my preference, however. That twin turbo just blows even the bigger Denali engine away, not to mention the regular 5.3. Denali looks better (new body-style expedition took care of that, however), but I much prefer the interior space of the expedition. The 3rd row of the GM models is horribly uncomfortable for an adult. Had a new body-style Expedition for a loaner recently, and really like the vehicle a lot. I would buy one of those, if I were looking for one right now.

How many miles on the expedition? Any trouble so far with it?

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2016 Expedition EL, and also a 2012 Yukon Denali XL. (This is the old body style of Expedition, but has the twin turbo). Yukon has been virtually trouble-free for 120,000 miles. Expedition engine is my preference, however. That twin turbo just blows even the bigger Denali engine away, not to mention the regular 5.3. Denali looks better (new body-style expedition took care of that, however), but I much prefer the interior space of the expedition. The 3rd row of the GM models is horribly uncomfortable for an adult. Had a new body-style Expedition for a loaner recently, and really like the vehicle a lot. I would buy one of those, if I were looking for one right now.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295