cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going to look at new 1500 crew cabs today

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Tired of looking at all the junk around here used. Heck, they want $25k for 75-100k mile later model stuff. I'm seeing Chevys at $31k, Nissan Titans at $28-31k, Fords are 8-12K off. I would have to trade my Mazdaspeed3, which I'll take a few thousand hit on. Depends on how bad of a hit I take though. The thing I'm finding is the Chevys with the 5.3 and "hd trailer towing" have 3.42 gears, the Fords either have 3.31 or 3.55 gears. Haven't seen any with the HD payload package or 3.73 gears. Nissan doesn't seem to be selling well and they're almost all at least $10k off. My local Toyota dealer has the Tundra double cab 5.7 with towing package (frickin 4.30 gears...) and they sticker for $34,558. They just don't have anywhere near the options all the other trucks have. This will be my daily driver and the TV for our 49XX 31 ft TT. It seems from everything I've read the Ford 5.0 stands at the top of the list, not sure if I'm a Dodge boy with all their quality control issues from personal experiences as a Chrysler service advisor. I just wondered if these 6 speeds make the 3.42/3.55 gears work well as a TV.
I require a crew cab as I have two boys 14 and 10. The Tundra double cab appears to be comparable to the others' crew cabs. Just trying to establish a pecking order to go look at and rule some out if possible. They all are rated at 9500 pounds or more, but I realize some may suck in the hills and or dealing with the length of the trailer.
54 REPLIES 54

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
^ Thanks! Now if I could find one with the 3.31 rear. One of our local dealers has a 12 ProX, doesn't it come with the lower gear? It stickers for $39XXX. You got the kind of deal I'm looking for. One dealer here is advertising the 13's at almost $10k off. Looks like the ProX does come with the lower 3.31. This one has the PR3 Fosgate package with tow mirrors. MSRP is $40,615. 2012 model.

zogg
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar issue as yours....could not find a decent used truck at a decent price....

I looked at everything, drove everything, and the Nissan dealer was the only one that let me keep the demo for the entire day....everyone else wanted me to base a $30,000 decision on a five minute test drive...ugh

Anyway, the Nissan Titan is an older design, but it was number one when first introduced. After driving the truck 200 miles, I was convinced. I do not understand why more folks do not buy these. It is very comfortable, stable and solid ride, no squeeks or rattles like the Chevy I drove. The 5.6 L dual overhead cam engine was ahead of its time and had almost 400 pounds of torque....pulls like crazy!!!!

My wife loves driving it, and was so impressed with the fit and finish, not like the Fords, that she bought a new nissan Rogue suv.....she had been looking at a Cadillac srx, but thought she got more quality in the Nissan.

Mine is the SV, and it is a left over 2012, but it stickered at $40.021.00, and I bought it for $26,350...there is no difference between the 2012 and the 2013, except a few thousand dollars less discount.

Everyone told me that the mpg would suck, but I consistently get 15.3 mpg or more average and have got as high as 19 mpg on the hiway. I live in the country so it is not really city driving.

I have owned Fords, GMs, and Dodges, but after 3000 miles, I would make the exact same choice again....worth checking into.

With the tow package, it will pull ober 9000 pounds....more than I need for sure
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
6.4 Hemi, 4x4, 3.73, 6 Speed Auto
2016 Keystone Hideout 7500# Dry :B

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The 5.0 with 3,55 gears sounds like it would work well for you. Also the 5.3 with 3,42 gears would be fine. Test drive both and pick the one you like best. I wouldn't choose the 3.31 gears if you are going to tow with it, unless they will be short trips. The Toyota and Nissan have fine engines but are both really gas thirsty.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
My 03 Suburban 5.3 was 300 pounds shy of GCWR loaded with a 7300lb tow cap. I just found the F150 EB w/3.31 gears is rated at 9200, the 5.0 with 3.55 is only 7700. The Dodge Rams here don't have the 3.92 gears, so they're rated at 8600 pounds with 6800 GVWR. My Suburban made it up the NC, VA, and TN mountains and we never had an issue. I fully expect a brand new 1500 will more than handle my TT. I also use the Equalizer WD/sway hitch. Definitely NOT buying a different trailer anytime in the near future. We've had our trailer for sale at a local dealer for over a month with nothing but one lowball offer.
With me trading my car, I have to buy something new and under warranty.

russellsawatsky
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 F150 screw ecoboost max tow 6.5 box it is a XTR it pulls our Freedom Express 310 BHDS very well we haven't had any issues with the motor I love my ecoboost the new ones are even better I am at the top of the towing ability of this tv but if you stay with an appropriate tt it is a great dd/tv combination:B
2011 Ford F150 screw ecoboost max tow 6.5 box
2012 Ford Escape
2012 Freedom Express 310 BHDS

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, you would rather buy new marginal than used sufficient? Any and I mean ANY of the 1/2 ton crew cabs will be near maximum payload when loaded up with family and stuff long before you add the hitch weight for a trailer to them.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look at the Ford, Chevy, and Tundra and make your decision on which one you like the best and the current incentives that are being offered. All 3 are good trucks.

The downside for the Tundra is that it is now 6 years old and getting a bit long in the tooth and due for a redesign in 2014. The Ford and Chevy have a nicer interior than the Tundra, an area Toyota lags behind it. Having said that, I've been very pleased with my 2007 Tundra Crew Max as it's an awesome tow vehicle IMO with 381 HP and 401 ft lbs of torque.

The Tundra also only comes with a 26 gal gas tank which some don't like but has never been an issue with me.

The rear end ratios are much different know then in the old days because everybody runs a 6 sp trans now. That's the reason Toyota can get a way with the 4.30 rear end and still get decent gas mileage.

The 3/4 ton suggestion is a good one and will open up a wider range of trailers for you if you can get a good price on one.

Good luck in your search.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stclairm wrote:
Haven't seen any 3/4's for the same price new. I need to be at $31k or so new.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago only my decision was for a 3/4 T over a 1 T. I chose the 3/4 and saved several thousand $. As a result of that decision, when I got my latest (heavier) RV, I traded a perfectly good 3/4 with many useful years and miles left on it and I'm now waiting for a new truck. Moral of the story is that my short term savings cost me much more in the long run.
Larry

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't seen any 3/4's for the same price new. I need to be at $31k or so new.

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
For what you're going to pay for a 1/2 ton I'd look at gassers in 3/4 ton too. A lot more truck for the same price.