cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got the trailer back, but don't know how to back up

whitebear80
Explorer
Explorer
Excited to pick up the trailer, but have no experience of towing or even backup!
I didn't expect this is that hard... Gosh:(
frustrated, just pulled up straight ahead...
What am I going to do .........

Actually our driveway is not that short/narrow, but the trailer will not follow the way we want it to be
We realize that the trailer's wheels won't turn ...

Help
CreekSide 23BHS by Expedition EL
45 REPLIES 45

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
Go find a narrow dead end road thats a mile long . Drive to the end , by the time you back the trailer out you will have the hang of it , probably .

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't matter. Right is right, left is left. Turn the bottom of the wheel the way you want the back of the trailer to go.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

2littletime
Explorer
Explorer
When you are backing, are you looking back at the TT or are you looking through your side view mirror? If looking through the side view mirror, is turning the wheel going to be the opposite direction?
2013 Fun Finder 214 WSD
2007 Chevy 1500 TV
2005 Chevy Tahoe TV
Equalizer 1,000 lb.
Prodigy 2

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Let your wife give it a go. Some woman just have the knack :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
Especially be sure to remove your bars from your WD hitch if there's much of a slope to your driveway....they're much easier to get on and off if you're level...as well as for maneuvering the TT.

whitebear80
Explorer
Explorer
It is rough but after it is parked, it is very good
BTW, my TV is EL expedition and trailer is Creekside 23BHS

The first back up was quite hard, the trailer would not turn even I turned a lot on the TV, Now I realize that it might because of the reason F1bNorm mentioned:
remove/detach any sway/ equalizer equipment on the hitch
I didn't remove the weight distributor bars...

It took a while for the trailer to turn after I turned hard on the Expedition...
But you know, after several of back and driving forward to adjust and even drove a circle to get back to the perfect location, finally we got it on the drive way now...

Will practice after we remove that weight distributor...

whitebear80
Explorer
Explorer
Finally get the trailer straighten on the driveway and freed the TV...

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
...hand on top of the wheel to go in the other direction? Now he's really confused.
After 10 seasons I still use the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel trick...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
OP, curious what vehicle, TT and hitch are you using?
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

facory
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
I used to have a TT. Remember GOAL: Get Out And Look. And always choose a site where you are backing to the driver's side. Much easier.

Here is a critical point. By getting out and eye balling the site you are going to back into you have a valuable visual of where your trailer is in relation to the site.

Also, the smaller the trailer the quicker it will turn. That's why a boat trailer is very reactive to your TV as compared to a 25' TT. 5vers are even slower to react.

Practice & Patience. Don't be in a hurry.
Schwinn Mountain Bike

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty good advice has already been given.
Some thoughts:
At the beginning, you might want to remove/detach any sway/ equalizer equipment on the hitch. (So you don't bend or break anything)

Talk to your helper and get your signals straight. Use hand signals directing the rear of the trailer. Point the direction, no verbal turn left/ right, no turn the the wheel rt/lt.

Helper needs to stand where THEY can see YOU in the side mirror. If they can't see you, you cant see them.

Helper needs to look up for tree limbs, down for posts, boulders etc.

Especially at the beginning, your helper needs to watch that you don't jackknife the rig.

Use phones or walkie talkies so you do not have to yell at each other. Set on hands free.

Hand on the bottom of the wheel and move it the direction you want the REAR of the trailer to go.

Keep the rig as straight as possible. Back and forth is OK, but move slowly, the rear of the trailer will swing.

It's easier to back if you have a reference point. Tree or wall is good. If practicing in a lot, put it in a specific space marked with lines or cones.

You took step one by asking for help! Where was the internet when I was learning?!

Norm
F1BNorm

whitebear80
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are so nice and I have learned quite a lot, now it is time to put that into practice. Will update tonight, hopefully we would have straighten that trailer in the drive way and test camp tonight. haha

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to have a TT. Remember GOAL: Get Out And Look. And always choose a site where you are backing to the driver's side. Much easier.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
I can just about put our 34 ft TT in your back pocket yet I have a lot of trouble transferring my ability over to my 17 ft boat trailer. Rats!! Off my line again!! LOL
charles weidman

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Steering with the bottom of the steering wheel is absolutely the correct way to maneuver. Simply push the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go. That lesson has made my life so much easier.
Schwinn Mountain Bike