cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got the trailer back, but don't know how to back up

whitebear80
Explorer
Explorer
Excited to pick up the trailer, but have no experience of towing or even backup!
I didn't expect this is that hard... Gosh:(
frustrated, just pulled up straight ahead...
What am I going to do .........

Actually our driveway is not that short/narrow, but the trailer will not follow the way we want it to be
We realize that the trailer's wheels won't turn ...

Help
CreekSide 23BHS by Expedition EL
45 REPLIES 45

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I used to train commerical drivers, first rule is relax, take your time, don't become frustrated.
As mentioned, find a large parking lot. bring some cones or somthing you can use as a control line, even a rope laid out on the ground in a straight line.
Pull you TV/TT up ahead of the line, about 10 to 20 feet, make sure your offset from the line about 12 inches.
Imagine that the cones/rope being a center line. The object is to park parallel to the line. Now practice backing straightr back. The goal is to maintain an even distance from the line to your TV/TT the entire length.
Once you master this task, pull ahead of the line and back up again to the line, but on the other side. This takes lot of practice, but once you become profient at the task; you'll be able to back anywhere you need to. If your perfectly straight, when you back up you shouldn't be moving your wheel much. Moving it more than a half inch either way should be max, if you start going astray, the move your wheel to correct, but each time, try moving it less and less; in the beginning you will need to pull ahead to straighten up, make sure you allow a good pull up space where you practice at.
As others mentioned, practice, practice.
To eliminate any confusion about which way to move the wheel to move the trailer in the direction desired.
It's quite simple, sitting in the TV place your hand at the 6 oclock position, look into your outside mirrors, determine which way you want the trailer to go: right mirror, left mirror, then move your hand towards that mirror.
One last thing the shorter the trailer the quicker it's going to respond, longer ones are actually easier to move due to having more time to make a steering correction.
Practice practice.
Now about driving and making a right hand turn.
First rule is do not pull into oncomming traffic lane, instead go into the intersection straight past your lane and the then turn,making sure your TT doesn't hit anthing. Basicly the manuver would be simular to the letter p.
Good luck, everbody has thier first time(s), before you know it you'll be giving a hand to someone yourself
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have someone "help" you back up by standing near the rear of the trailer, two things:

1) They need to stand where you can see them in the driver's side mirror... sometimes they need to stand pretty far off to the side.

2) They need to tell you where the rear of the trailer should go, NOT which way they think you should turn the truck!! It will get too confusing if they start trying to tell you which way to turn the truck - that is something you will learn.

Be patient. and practice.

Also, learn how to use your side mirrors, and learn what they are showing you. Best thing to practice this is to stop looking over your shoulder when just day to day driving around. Begin using your side mirrors all the time, on all your vehicles.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Haha practice on a single axle utility trailer first, even better garden tractor/trailer combo. They are bears to master. I have been towing since 1989( campers, trailers, boatsj ,jet ski, snowmobile, popups, concession trailers), k.

Single axle trailers are the worst.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
There are good advice above, we were all there once,so practice and remember that if millions are doing it SO CAN YOU.
F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom Go 5606
Website

Spappy
Explorer
Explorer
To tell ya the truth it doesn't come easy for me either. I have practiced and practiced and I'm getting a little better, but here are some tips that I've come to understand. Most important, try not to get nervous. I used to get so nervous that it drove me bananas, but in most places I've camped there is always an experienced camper there. They will come over and ask if I need help and they are just as friendly as ever to help. I've had that happen a few times. Also, when I leave a campground, I try to drive around and practice in a few spots that look easy. If I find a spot or two that I find easy to get into, I write the numbers down and I try to get those spots next time. In my local area, i have all of my favorites noted. When I'm making reservations in a new CG, I use Google Maps to look at the sites and try to pick one I know I can get into. I've practiced a few times, but reality is I think it takes years of experience to get really good at it. Don't worry about it, get in the best you can, be willing to accept help,and then enjoy yourself camping. 🙂
Good luck!!
Spap

whitebear80
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your answers!
I was frustrated at that time... but will cheer up after seeing the nice replies!
The scoop video looks good, will try that.
And will practice with all your tips, like back to the opposite direction, holding the hand to the bottom of the steer wheel....

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
...Hope this does't get too confusing but another tip is to backup a bit and go forward a bit to straighten up, then continue to backup a bit more.....always keep correcting by going forward a bit to straighten up and then backing up a bit further...

mrp116
Explorer
Explorer
I like to put my hand on the top of the wheel and think about where I don't want my trailer to go. I turn the wheel where I don't want it to go.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
When you are good at it, no, it does not take a wide road (or driveway) to back a trailer. But, it takes practice.

Start with a straight alignment of trailer and tow vehicle. Back across three rows of parking spaces (you are practicing in an empty parking lot, remember). Keep it straight. Notice how little you move your steering wheel.

Then, start straight, then back to the second parking space to your left, then right, two rows back. The point is, do small angles, then a little larger angles, before you try sharp angles. Get used to the small movements needed to turn.

Good luck!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
When backing up, remember the BACK of the TRAILER goes the same way as the FRONT of the TRUCK...

Buy or borrow some orange cones, find a big parking lot and practice, practice, practice.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

whitebear80
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Exhausted today, will find a parking lot to do the practice ...
Do we need a very wide road to back up? Do I have to straighten the trailer before backing?

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
yloshrk wrote:
When you go to back up, place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Push the way you want the trailer to go. Backing up, everything is backwards and this will help.

Rest your arm on your lap. Most will turn the wheel too far and over correct. As was mentioned, practice, practice, practice until you are doing it in your sleep.

robsouth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, practice very slowly. Backing come natural to some, but to others, not so much. Just remember to go very slowly at first. I mean maybe 1 foot at a time, so you can see what the trailer is doing when you do something. Slow, slow, slow.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

yloshrk
Explorer
Explorer
When you go to back up, place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Push the way you want the trailer to go. Backing up, everything is backwards and this will help.