cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS or smart phone

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering what was the difference between a GPS app on a smartphone and the GPS units such as Garmin?

We expect to use it to RV travel.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
47 REPLIES 47

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
While I have smart phone map apps, I really don't use them but rather my Garmin GPS. Reasons:
1. I don't have to physically hold in my hand the Garmin while I am driving.
2. The Maps on a Garmin screen are larger and thus easier to read while traveling down the road. Easier to read the map at night when driving. The flexibility of being able change my route and then have Garmin reschedule the route.
3. I like the audio prompts telling me the road names, traffic conditions, school zones and step by step directions to my destinations.
4. I like the visual warnings when I am going over the posted speed limit, the estimated time of arrival.

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I tried using my smartphone as my audiobook player, GPS, and phone on a long trip last year. A dashtop GPS receiver is far easier to read and use than the phone. In addition, you won't miss any turns when your daughter calls to chat for a half hour.

I have heard good things about using an iPad with a GPS app, but it ends up costing about the same as a "regular" GPS unit.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Garmin GPS for the long haul and for quick 'finds' we use our smart phones...
Using a smart phone for a long time as a GPS burns a lot of data time.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro