cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS or smart phone

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering what was the difference between a GPS app on a smartphone and the GPS units such as Garmin?

We expect to use it to RV travel.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
47 REPLIES 47

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
While I have smart phone map apps, I really don't use them but rather my Garmin GPS. Reasons:
1. I don't have to physically hold in my hand the Garmin while I am driving.
2. The Maps on a Garmin screen are larger and thus easier to read while traveling down the road. Easier to read the map at night when driving. The flexibility of being able change my route and then have Garmin reschedule the route.
3. I like the audio prompts telling me the road names, traffic conditions, school zones and step by step directions to my destinations.
4. I like the visual warnings when I am going over the posted speed limit, the estimated time of arrival.

Ditto on every thing you said. I only use my iPhone for phone calls, email, and internet searches when on the road. My Garmin works great.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
WayneLee wrote:

Following the IPhone app, we ended up 5 blocks away from the actual location. With the Android app, we had a 3 block error. The Garmin was right on.

Don't know if this is typical or not, but it sure convinced me that a GPS unit is more accurate than a smartphone app.

I've had just the complete opposite experience. Google Maps will usually get me not only within 50 feet of the location, it tells me which side of the road it's on with almost perfect accuracy (this is with the latest version, though.) I've had Garmin and Tom Tom send me to addresses that no longer exist!

I can remember some time ago when Google Maps & other 3rd party maps apps would have the most bizarre errors (telling me to turn left or right when no such turn is allowed, etc). I suppose YMMV (pun intended)! ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited

Community Alumni
Not applicable
WayneLee wrote:

Following the IPhone app, we ended up 5 blocks away from the actual location. With the Android app, we had a 3 block error. The Garmin was right on.

Don't know if this is typical or not, but it sure convinced me that a GPS unit is more accurate than a smartphone app.

The problem with phones isn't their GPS, but the app's source of address information. Most of these apps rely on 3rd party address databases like Bing, Google, or Yelp. The app pulls the geographic coordinates from the 3rd party database and the app leads you to that point. The app is only as accurate as their supplier of address data. Some apps use a mix of their own database and 3rd party, like Waze. In Waze you have a choice to use Yelp, Yellow Book, Four Square, Google, or the Waze database. As far as geographical accuracy, cell phone might actually be more accurate. Phones can use satellites, cell tower triangulation, and WIFI locations combinations to pinpoint a location. AFAIK GPS devices only use satellites.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We have a cheap GPS. Made a 2,000 mile trip from Indiana to Great Falls,MT. and did not use it at all to tell me where to go and when. Will be headed to Portland,OR. from here and will only use it to get to a site we have reservations at in Portland when I get real close to the city. Will be taking a different route back east and will not use it then either to tell me where to go and when. By the way we used some roads other than interstates coming out and will do the same going home. Just me.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:

The GPS unit is obsolete in a few years anyway. But I like the convenience of a standalone unit that is easy to use.

Obsolescence bothers me a great deal with my electronics. Abandoning free-standing units years ago was liberating when I switched to my phone, but I'm all about convergence. I like the idea of one device - that I have on me at all times - serves so many purposes: my GPS, my phone, my PDA, my portable music player, Internet, remote server client).

But yeah, I realize some enjoy having multiple specialized devices. If I were to lose my phone or break it, I'm screwed.
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
Waze is awesome. All Waze notifications also show up in Google Maps on the iPhone and Android.

Orcusomega
Explorer
Explorer
blw2 wrote:
I've been using an app called WAZE on my phone more an more. I love it!
Use a phone mount on my dash to hold it
crowd sourced data gives great traffic info, re-routes, etc....
extremely accurate travel times considering traffic
also users report police traps, road hazards, red light cameras, etc.... and it warns you.
voice commands
great where there are lots of users to report data, such as cities and interstates. Not so useful in the sticks....
and as previously mentioned, need cellular data service coverage (doesn't use a lot of your data plan, even with constant use)

I also agree that a dedicated GPS is still useful for long haul routes, but less and less so..... really only when cell coverage isn't great.

I like WAZE, but found that Copilot app on Android has a very nice feature -RV mode, where I can specify heights, route around propane restricted tunnels, etc. To boot, you download the maps, so you have then even if you don't have cell service.

Be careful though, in "Most Direct" option, it just might route you through downtown Baltimore.. Just sayin ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob
2013 Forest River Surveyor Select 305 SV
2011 F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
EnochLight wrote:

The age of free-standing GPS units is coming to an end quickly, and the idea that I have to pay - several hundred dollars sometimes - just to update an offline unit like a Garman is insane. No thanks!

I totally agree with NOT paying a ridiculous amount of money for an update. The GPS unit is obsolete in a few years anyway. But I like the convenience of a standalone unit that is easy to use. All but one of my Garmins have had lifetime maps and traffic. I'm about to buy a new Garmin RV760LMT and BC20-Wireless Backup Camera for traveling across country this summer. Anybody use this combo and like/dislike it?
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
Smartphone maps app. All of this worry about no cell service is hyperbole if you have an iPhone or recent Android. Google Maps has an offline maps option for your routes, so if the cellular signal drops the GPS keeps going just fine. You just have to download the map data prior to leaving for your trip when you're in service or on a WiFi connection. No big deal.

In fact, many of the higher quality 3rd party map apps now offer offline maps as well.

The age of free-standing GPS units is coming to an end quickly, and the idea that I have to pay - several hundred dollars sometimes - just to update an offline unit like a Garman is insane. No thanks!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have a smart phone;not smart enough, I guess. The Rand-McNally GPS has worked OK so far, but I still have analog maps when the digital fleeges out.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I was wondering what was the difference between a GPS app on a smartphone and the GPS units such as Garmin?

We expect to use it to RV travel.

Learned one thing the other day. Both have an equal shot at providing the wrong directions. :B

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to these comments, I believe that a smartphone application cannot detect as many satellites when compared to a Garmin, or Tom Tom, type of GPS.

A few months ago, I had this discussion in Atlanta with a couple of people in their 20's. So, we did a test. We needed to find a place that does alterations. We chose a store that was just a few miles from the center of Atlanta.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dedicated GPS with smartphone as backup.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Garmin GPS. We have paper maps, we look at get a good idea where we are going and then the GPS. I like knowing the next turn is in 23 miles to the right. Also I worked on the GPS ground station in Diego Garcia for a year so I enjoy knowing I had a little bit to do with the GPS system.