cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GVWR vs. dry weight

KillerIsMe
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody around these parts ever read anything I've posted knows I'm a bit of a doofus. Yes I'm new - I mean, wasn't everybody new at one time? Don't judge me man, lest ye be judged. Anyways, I took Mrs. Killer out RV shopping the other day and I should gouge out my eyes for it, because I went from getting off easy to being locked in a cage with a wolf. My TV is an f150. I just brought it home yesterday - it's red...red! I never had a red car before but always secretly wanted one. A red TRUCK just enhances the whole fantastic experience. But I'm off track. So I've got that 5.0, the factory tow package, 9000 pound capacity, 3.55 gears, and I have 2067 pounds of by-God payload. Now we upgraded from a Frontier so my little centerfold says we can go way, way, way up in trailer size and I'm in agreement, but it's the kind of agreement where you just want a happy wife and easy living. So she's moving from place to place on trailers and for the most part she's settling in the 7000-7500 pound GVWR rating, which seems to be the sweet spot for a family of our size. Not wanting to be a disappointment to her (again) I'm working hard on the math and this is what occurred to me: a dual axle trailer with maybe a 5200 pound dry weight and a 7500 pound GVWR just has a really large carrying capacity that a family of three most likely will never approach. Heck, we could pile all the Killer's possessions right out here on the back sidewalk and they wouldn't amount to much more than 2000 pounds, so there's no way on God's good green Earth we're going to carry 2100 pounds in a travel trailer. I'm right, right? (Please tell me I am). I'm thinking I'm in the 5200 dry range,I'm going to load up maybe a thousand, and at 6300 or so I should be good to go with that Ford. Please tell me what you think folks, because the money is in the pocket burning a hole and my next series of posts will be along the lines of "what the hell am I doing wrong?"
30 REPLIES 30

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, we could pile all the Killer's possessions right out here on the back sidewalk and they wouldn't amount to much more than 2000 pounds, so there's no way on God's good green Earth we're going to carry 2100 pounds in a travel trailer. I'm right, right? (Please tell me I am). I'm thinking I'm in the 5200 dry range,I'm going to load up maybe a thousand, and at 6300 or so I should be good to go with that Ford. Please tell me what you think folks, because the money is in the pocket burning a hole and my next series of posts will be along the lines of "what the hell am I doing wrong?"

LOL.... your looking in the right direction. I never worried how much others say they load in their trailers. One size don't fit all as there are too many variables.

I pulled for a living non rv trailers so knowing how much a empty trailer axles weighed vs its GVWR was required. Knowing all actual trailer/truck axle loads was part of every day life.

I've owned three truck camper up to a 3840 lb 10' 6"...a 24' TT for 3 months....and three different 5th wheel rv trailers up to 32'. I had each and every actual scaled axle weight for all my trucks and trailers out of habit.
The most the wife and I (2 kids) added to any of the 3 TC was around 820 lbs scaled weight.

The most we ever loaded in our current 32' 5th wheel trailer was at 1180 lbs per actual road ready scaled weight before and after.

I doubt any one reported adding 2000 lb of "STUFF" in a trailer your size has actually weighed before and after.

So what if the trailer weighs a actual 7xxx lbs. With a 20xx lb payload and a 9xxx lb tow rating and the 5.0 engine the truck will do fine.
The last LDT I had in commercial service ran for just over 280k miles before nickle and dime mechanical issues started showing up.....and operated at 30k gross combined.
Pulling a rv trailer a few few time a year well under the trucks numbers won't hurt the truck any. JMO....Jim
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It can depend on the trailer. Some have very little in the way of exterior and interior storage. No pantry, no overhead cabinets above the dinette or sofa, small front cargo openings, smaller fridge, etc. You get the point. The on the flip side and you're packing more than you think. Some people just use their $30,000 TT as a tent on wheels, packing very little and staying in full hookup sites while eating out at local restaurants. Others dry camp and take a lot of gear to accommodate the lack of services.
IMO 200-400 lbs one way or the other shouldn't make a difference.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think you can handle a wet/loaded TT of up to 7K with your new truck. OK 7,500 GVWR, but you are reaching your limit. As to amount added to dry wt, like O-B mentioned, does not include propane, battery, or water. I see many say, "we don't carry much water", but the time will come, when you will want to travel with full fresh water, including another 6 gals/50lbs in the WH. So if you travel lite, you should not add more than 1,000 lbs, to the 5-6 hundred lbs I mentioned above.

I enjoy your humor, and hope you have a great towing experience!

Jerry

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
My TT advertised dry weight is 5004 lbs. The CAT scales say 6200 to 6600 lbs loaded for the road.

Just grandma, me and the dog. No kids.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Your new red Ford should do fine with the bigger trailer.

Here's what I would suggest: Buy that Lucy/Desi movie, "The long long trailer" (or whatever it's called), sit down with the Missus, and have some laughs.

Also, before you embark on the maiden voyage (or along the way), pull onto a Cat scale and weigh your rig. Knowing what you're pulling is going to dissolve some of your trepidation.

Good luck and happy camping!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
We add 1200lbs on average with empty tanks for our family of four. Trailers sticker weight is 6420lbs and loaded is just over 7600lbs. Even with a full water tank I could never get near 2k.

I think you'll be fine with the weights you mention, even if you could max it out.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

KillerIsMe
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Have you thought of renting a TT to see what you like and don't like? I think you will find RV'ers are generally friendly and willing to help if asked. You can take your RV to a empty parking lot and practice backing.

You know, I HAVE thought of renting. The only thing with that is the wife has it set in stone we're buying a new - not used, new - travel trailer and we're going to love it. If we find it's not for us and take a depreciation hit, well so be it. She's been talking about it for three years and for those three years I've been reluctant - the Nissan is too small, trailers are expensive, what if we don't like it - just one excuse after another. But you know, it's one of those get busy living or get busy dying things. I'm 61, she's 50, our little girl is 10 - last I checked we weren't getting any younger. So I know you are right about renting, and I know the advice about buying used is sound advice, but I'm not putting her off any longer about this. It's only money, and I can't reasonably compare a few thousand dollars to my wife's being happy. Heck I was the same way with the dog - I didn't want the responsibility of being a man with a dog but that dog never leaves my side and she's truly my companion. My wife is right about a lot of things. Besides, I got a big red f150 out of the deal.

Anyways, that parking lot idea is a ringer! I don't know why I didn't think of it (actually I do know - I don't think well outside the box).

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Take a drive to any state park on the weekend. Count the lugs. Look at trucks during commute and ask where are the 8 lugs.

Would you use a finishing hammer to drive in post sign?

Do you go hiking with flip flops on?
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you thought of renting a TT to see what you like and don't like? I think you will find RV'ers are generally friendly and willing to help if asked. You can take your RV to a empty parking lot and practice backing.

KillerIsMe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Friends. When we take our first trip to a campground and I spend the first two hours trying to back the trailer into a spot and the next two hours trying to figure out leveling and what goes where I sure hope the folks around me are as kind to us as you all are. And I apologize for all the stupid questions but I'm nervous and excited and at my age I just can't afford to make too many mistakes. My wife really scared me when she went to the 7500 GVWR trailers and locked in on those models. My ears heard her say "this one is perfect", but my mind was screaming "we'll kill the new truck! Maybe we can pack light...yeah, that's what we'll do! We'll pack light...", and on and on. Guess I should stop worrying, and I imagine I will after the TT is bought and the shakedown cruise has been completed.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my experience with my family of 4, 1500 lbs is a reasonable estimate. But the big thing is how much water will you be taking? You can easily gain or shed 400 lbs depending on how much water you carry.

Also remember this, things like that 100 lbs toolbox when carried in the bed of the truck add 100 lbs to the payload. Carried in the TT over the axle and it only adds 12 lbs to the payload. Point being, load that TT up and carry less in the truck.

Go to this site HERE look on the left side of the sheet for a button that says "towing capacities", it will give you a handy xls worksheet for figuring this all out.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Family of three, easy to have 2000# of stuff...

Yep, 2,000# isn't that much.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always recommend adding 12-1500lbs to the dry weight. its not hard for a family to approach 1500lbs. Heck I`m at 2k lbs after years of traveling.

Even still you will be OK with a 7500lb trailer with your F150, 2klbs CCC in a 1/2 ton is respectable. and the 5.0 has the power to move it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Even at 5200lb dry, you add in two freshly filled LP tanks, one rv battery and your up over 100 lbs already. Factory options may add even more. Not hard to add 1k - 2k in stuff for a family of 3 even if you think it wont happen. Congrats on the new truck, and I hope you find a great trailer to meet your families needs while still being comfortable to tow.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my TT with a 100 gallon water tank is 800#, battery weight, propane weight in addition to what was mentioned above. It adds up quick.

You are already on the right track by asking questions before you buy instead of after.