cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard start capacitor

CampinEarls
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sitting on top of my TT, have a new SPP6E capacitor ready to install, I open my capacitor cover and there is only one capacitor. I know some electronics, so I am assuming that this one capacitor is the run and start capacitor all in one unit. It has 3 white wires on one terminal, 1 red on another and 1 brown on the other. I know the brown goes to the fan...
Can I just add in my new capacitor? One goes to red the other to white. I don't see why I can't, but just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this setup and added a hard start capacitor to theirs.
It's a Dometic AC.

Thanks,
Waylon
2009 Chevy Z71 CrewCab
2010 Bullet Premier 31BHPR
7 REPLIES 7

ceeyahd1
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading somewhere last month regarding the the SPP6E capacitor which would make it easier for the AC to start on Gen. so I purchased a cap. and was ready to ask to how to determine which cap. to take out to replace with the SPP6E but reading above you guys say no E, why?

I have a 96 Alpenlite 34RL with a 13.5 duotherm AC, do I replace an existing cap. with the supco or do I add to a cap. that is alreasy on my unit?

Thanks for your help.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Can't see your picture but you should be good to go as long as you have enough generator to push it. Good luck. Happy camping!
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

CampinEarls
Explorer
Explorer
I swapped out the SP66E for the non E. it's taller than the E, so I had to break off the tab on top and it fit perfect beside my other capacitor in the box. I didn't get a chance to try it out with my generator, but it sounded better when it kicked on while plugged into the pedestal.
2009 Chevy Z71 CrewCab

CampinEarls
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason my post didn't post earlier.
It didn't work, I swapped the wires like one of the commenters in that site suggested, that didn't work either. I just saw this about not using the "E" so I'm about to go back out there and remove the capacitor and swap it out for a non E one.
2009 Chevy Z71 CrewCab

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I did as Bob describes.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
You just piggy back the SPP6 (no E according to Suppco) to the existing capacitor.

See comment #117 from Jim Berry in the above mentioned thread.SPP6
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
This link has your answer:
http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/05/27/rv-air-conditioner-hard-start-capacitor