cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have the new trailer. Any good suggestions?

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Not new to camping. Had a 2011 trailer we bought used.
Now we have our first NEW trailer. 2015 starcraft autumn ridge 289bhs.

Any good suggestions for mods, maintenance or things to do?
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
12 REPLIES 12

tll
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
tll. So far, LOVE the starcraft. I don't know how previous years were. But it seems they really took the time to include all the amenities, and little details.
One example is a light switch right by the bed that turns on the outside lights on both sides of the trailer.. I assume it is if maybe you hear someone snooping around at night?
We have so far only found two issues. The couch was installed too close to the wall, and doesn't fold down properly. And the plastic window on the screen door that slides get's stuck. No leaking and no other issues....
LOVE the trailer...

Great to hear you love your Starcraft, we hope we do too. Our Jayco has been great, once we worked out a few kinks. I always thought we had the perfect trailer, and never anticipated replacing it so soon. I guess that's what happens when you surf the net waiting for the snow to melt. I believe ours will have the same switch for the "scare" lights.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of things that can be done. There are a few I like to do that are easy and cheap, and make a long term benefit to the over all resale of the unit. Before cooking inside for the first time, get some plexiglass or the like and some 1' square Velcro Cut the plexiglass to make a clear surround around the stove, All units will be different, but I have always been able to do it using the fan shroud to help hold it in place. The Velcro is for areas that will need it. It is available in colors and clear, so a pretty close match to the wallpaper is possible. It can usually be installed so that removal for cleaning is easy.

Next look over all cabinets and doors, microwave, fridge etc. noting where they will bump into each other and walls leaving wear marks and even holes in the tissue thin wallpaper. You can get a variety pack of foam, rubber silicone and felt bumpers pretty cheap. IIRCC, I got them at WalMart. A tip here: When you have a choice as to which surface to apply the bumpers to, pick the harder more durable one. I have some of mine on the center of door knobs (the grey foam ones match the silver knobs) rather than the wall. And some doors may only interfere when both are in certain positions, but can still benefit from bumpers.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Since I'm somewhat fussy about running gear and trust no one, I would be pulling wheels, repacking bearings, and adjusting brakes.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
tll. So far, LOVE the starcraft. I don't know how previous years were. But it seems they really took the time to include all the amenities, and little details.
One example is a light switch right by the bed that turns on the outside lights on both sides of the trailer.. I assume it is if maybe you hear someone snooping around at night?
We have so far only found two issues. The couch was installed too close to the wall, and doesn't fold down properly. And the plastic window on the screen door that slides get's stuck. No leaking and no other issues....
LOVE the trailer...
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Caulk above anything that protrudes to the outside like running lights, side lights, etc. My dealer uses white silicone.
I'd leave the bottom open for drainage.

This is good advice. The first thing I've done with my past 3 trailers (2 new, one used) was to pretty much recaulk everything. Windows, doors, lights, fixtures, whatever. On the first 2 that I did, I used a caulk called Quad that was recommended by the dealer. My current one I used Geocel's Proflex Clear. Using silicon is not recommended as it doesn't adhere as well as other sealants.

I mask off around each item that I'm going to caulk as it makes a much nicer finish.

I learned the hard way from my first TT to keep an eye on all of the seams and caulked areas. With that TT, we had severly rotted floors in 4 areas under some carpet. There was absolutely no idication of leaks anywhere on the ceiling or walls, just one soft spot that showed up after 3 years. When I pulled the carpet up I found 3 more rotted spots. Very disheartening, let me tell you.

Good luck with the new TT and enjoy!
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to an earlier post by me that shows multiple mods I made to my camper. Check them out HERE

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Caulk above anything that protrudes to the outside like running lights, side lights, etc. My dealer uses white silicone.
I'd leave the bottom open for drainage.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

tll
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
Hi all. Not new to camping. Had a 2011 trailer we bought used.
Now we have our first NEW trailer. 2015 starcraft autumn ridge 289bhs.

Any good suggestions for mods, maintenance or things to do?

Congrats on the new trailer! We should be taking delivery of a 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU in a few weeks. Can't wait!
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
although there are lots of mods that can be made, I think you should take your time and live with your new TT before you do lots of mods. The first one I did when I got a new TT, was making a sewer hose holder out of fence post. I attached mine to the top of my bumper rather than trying to hang it under the frame like so many do.. made it easy to do immediately.. the other mods I have made have been as I lived with it.. you wouldn't want to make a mod and then realize you should have put it elsewhere.. it took me a few trips to decide the best place for the knife rack, and I have rearranged the cabinets and bins a time or two since I moved in.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
As you know from already being a camper owner, the only thing that I will emphasize is to keep up with periodic maintenance! Keep a good check on things that take on the road and weather every day; roof, seams around the whole camper, brakes, underside, tires, moisture inside. A good dehumidifier is a great thing to have and if you keep your camper plugged in, put the dehumidifier on a timer to come on at least once a day to keep the moisture and mildew at bay.

Enjoy!
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

path1
Explorer
Explorer
1st Congrats

2nd 2 threads that you find something.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/19777656.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17436377.cfm

Over 500 pages, and even more....google "RV MOD"

(you hit the Mother lode"
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats to you. There are tons of things you can do .. what ever you decide make sure it fits the way you will camping. Personally I would add as many solar panels as you can get but that's me and I like to boondock.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4