cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help! 4way to 7 way Converter

josheaton
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to convert my 4 way trailer connection to a 7 way connection. I ordered this kit.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-37185.html

I do not have a red wire in my harness for the trailer battery. What am I missing? I'm supposed to have this thing hooked up in the morning and I'm at my wits end. Please see pictures below.

18 REPLIES 18

josheaton
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, brake controller is being installed this afternoon
Yes, it has tow/haul feature
Yes, trans cooler was installed two weeks ago (although aftermarket)
Maybe, Gears will do because it's a light trailer and we live in flat land (Louisiana and Florida trips mostly). I'll re-gear prior to doing anything more strenuous.

bikendan wrote:
OP,
You obviously have a truck not equipped for towing a travel trailer.
It takes more than just converting a 4 pin to 7 pin.

How are you hooking up a brake controller?
Does it have the tow/haul feature?
Does it have the factory tow package Trans cooler?
Does it have the towing rear end ratio?

You have to match what comes in the factory tow package, to get the higher tow capacities.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
suggest checking each wire on the flat connector for its function....Ground, +12 V, Left brake, Right brake, running lights, brake controller power to brake magnets

Then wire them to the new connector of your choice. Otherwise a 'blue' or 'red' or whatever might not be what you think it is...

Here are some just took a few seconds to find and use which ever you feel works best for you, the OP:

ETrailer wiring diagrams

Like this one best myself

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
OP,
You obviously have a truck not equipped for towing a travel trailer.
It takes more than just converting a 4 pin to 7 pin.

How are you hooking up a brake controller?
Does it have the tow/haul feature?
Does it have the factory tow package Trans cooler?
Does it have the towing rear end ratio?

You have to match what comes in the factory tow package, to get the higher tow capacities.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

josheaton
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't have anything in the truck. Bought it "barely" used and got it at a steal. I don't have much of the fancy stuff!

RoyB wrote:
josheaton wrote:

The truck is. a 2WD F150 with the 5.0 V8. It did not come with the towing package (got an amazing deal on it) and am trying to retrofit the towing components. Had a transmission cooler installed, and this is really the last thing I need done.

Just curious - did you find an unmarked envelope in the glove box that had a PLUG-IN RELAY and ATC fuse in it. My truck DID come with the TOW PACKAGE and I found this in my glove box. This is what is required to have the 12VDC routed to the 7-way CONNECTOR on my 2010 Ford F150 truck. I didn't know what the unmarked package was and someone telling this online I looked in the manual and they are to be plugged into the main fuse panel under the hood and were in marked position for TRAILER TOW or something like that...

I guess since you didn't get the tow package you didn't get the built-in brake controller either.

Or the REAR CAMERA mounted in the FORD EMBLEM on the tail gate and uses the console monitor to show you backing right up over the trailer hitch with foot markers. I love this feature...

This was my first brand new truck ever so I guess this is why it cost so much haha...

Roy Ken

josheaton
Explorer
Explorer
Haha, okay that's good info.

Grit dog wrote:
Side note, some adapters and ready made pigtails have the wrong wire colors pre wired to the pins.
So if it doesn't work, I'd blame the adapter before the truck or trailer when trouble shooting if both units are unmolested wiring.
Just found that out on a pre made 7 pin trailer pigtail. Trucks are wired right, trailer was wired right from the j box on the tongue. Pigtail that was molded around the wires (couldn't open up the plug and switch wires) was all farked up!!!
Only 2 wires that were tight was the white ground and blue brakes. That was 2 hours I didn't need to spend standing in the rain figuring it out with a broken multimeter.....
Freakin Chinese c rap.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
josheaton wrote:

The truck is. a 2WD F150 with the 5.0 V8. It did not come with the towing package (got an amazing deal on it) and am trying to retrofit the towing components. Had a transmission cooler installed, and this is really the last thing I need done.

Just curious - did you find an unmarked envelope in the glove box that had a PLUG-IN RELAY and ATC fuse in it. My truck DID come with the TOW PACKAGE and I found this in my glove box. This is what is required to have the 12VDC routed to the 7-way CONNECTOR on my 2010 Ford F150 truck. I didn't know what the unmarked package was and someone telling this online I looked in the manual and they are to be plugged into the main fuse panel under the hood and were in marked position for TRAILER TOW or something like that...

I guess since you didn't get the tow package you didn't get the built-in brake controller either.

Or the REAR CAMERA mounted in the FORD EMBLEM on the tail gate and uses the console monitor to show you backing right up over the trailer hitch with foot markers. I love this feature...

This was my first brand new truck ever so I guess this is why it cost so much haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Side note, some adapters and ready made pigtails have the wrong wire colors pre wired to the pins.
So if it doesn't work, I'd blame the adapter before the truck or trailer when trouble shooting if both units are unmolested wiring.
Just found that out on a pre made 7 pin trailer pigtail. Trucks are wired right, trailer was wired right from the j box on the tongue. Pigtail that was molded around the wires (couldn't open up the plug and switch wires) was all farked up!!!
Only 2 wires that were tight was the white ground and blue brakes. That was 2 hours I didn't need to spend standing in the rain figuring it out with a broken multimeter.....
Freakin Chinese c rap.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So your truck has a 4pin plug already installed?
You can use that kit to get you home. Just no brakes or 12V hot wire.
If you don't have any trailer plug on the truck and are trying to tap in, then there are some plug n play adapters you can buy or google what to hard splice in.
Idk if the new fords have trailer brake wires and 12v to the back of the truck?
Do you have the plug in option for the brake controller and OE adapter under the dash?
If so then the brake power wire should be at the back of the truck already. If not then you gotta wire the trailer brake controller in old school.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

josheaton
Explorer
Explorer
Tell me about it. I layed under the truck last night for about an hour cursing Ford...

RoyB wrote:
That is totally amazing to me that your 2016 F150 Truck did not come with the 4-way and 7-way combo connector setup... I hope it at least had the 2-inch trailer hitch setup.. I guess if you don't order the tow package you get the bare bones equipment... geesch...

This is a google photo for the 2016 F150 Ford truck tow setup...

Sounds like you got it all about nailed down now...

Roy Ken

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is totally amazing to me that your 2016 F150 Truck did not come with the 4-way and 7-way combo connector setup... I hope it at least had the 2-inch trailer hitch setup.. I guess if you don't order the tow package you get the bare bones equipment... geesch...

This is a google photo for the 2016 F150 Ford truck tow setup...

Sounds like you got it all about nailed down now...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

josheaton
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, this helps. Although from my pictures, it appears that I don't have this black wire which I assume will need to be run from the battery. Bummer...

RSD559 wrote:
I believe, on my F150, the black wire was the one for the trailer battery feed, and blue one was for the brakes. The tag on the harness says it's a Ford.
http://www.f150-forums.com/attachments/1997-2003-ford-f150-7/48d1303303854-trailer-wiring-excursion-related-ugg-7waytrailerend-jpg
is a link to a picture of the correct colors to function. Good luck!

josheaton
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry all, yes it is a 2016 F-150. So from what I've read here, does this mean that there is no 12 volt DC line at that connection and that I have to run it all the way from the battery?

The camper we're purchasing this afternoon weights about 3500 pounds dry and fully loaded will be about 4500. Tongue weight is 375.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The link the OP provided has directions for installation and it directs him, in part, to run the black wire to his battery with a fuse.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually speaking if the tow vehicle only has a 4-way type connection is wasn't a big enough truck to tow a very large trailer - maybe something like the small utility trailers... These same tow vehicles also usually only have the one-inch size trailer hitch setup as well

I always got all of my trailer wiring info from the ETRAILER.com site. Guess they still have all of that info available along with lots of how to videos...

My two most recent FORD trucks had the 4-way/7-way Combo Trailer connector installed... Pretty neat having both connectors to use..

If I was changing a 4-way over to a 7-way I would install this combo connector setup...

Moderator notified to resize the very large photo from the OP here... Sure creates a big mess trying to view and make comments when one that large is being used. Most of my general info photos use the 300 setting and then I like to use the 400 setting for large view of something. I think the max the RV NET management likes to see is the 600 size... It was like moving my screen over to the next county here to get to the links to make comments hehe...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS