cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! 4way to 7 way Converter

josheaton
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to convert my 4 way trailer connection to a 7 way connection. I ordered this kit.

https://www.etrailer.com/p-37185.html

I do not have a red wire in my harness for the trailer battery. What am I missing? I'm supposed to have this thing hooked up in the morning and I'm at my wits end. Please see pictures below.

18 REPLIES 18

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I believe, on my F150, the black wire was the one for the trailer battery feed, and blue one was for the brakes. The tag on the harness says it's a Ford.
http://www.f150-forums.com/attachments/1997-2003-ford-f150-7/48d1303303854-trailer-wiring-excursion-related-ugg-7waytrailerend-jpg
is a link to a picture of the correct colors to function. Good luck!
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Pull wire from the truck battery. Best to include 40 amp fuse near the battery.
Trailer battery should get you to camp fine without the trickle charge. If your destination has electric you could just skip it and roll. Plug in while you pack to top it off.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with my esteemed colleague with the exception of the relay. I've done it both ways and prefer to run with it connected to the TV battery all the time. Either way, it will work fine.
I would install a 40 or 50 amp auto-resetting breaker too.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
It would be nice if you told us what brand of truck you are working on.

So if you don't have the red battery wire you will need to add it. I would use a 10 gauge wire from your truck battery threw a relay that will only provied power when the truck is running. Then back to your new trailer plug.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.