cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help.....buying a camper

Kodiak02
Explorer
Explorer
Who better to ask than all of you with campers! We will be selling our Lexington motor home and have thought about buying a camper. We like to dry camp but will not take our beautiful motor home into those areas. Any suggestions to what is a good camper to purchase? Do you have any suggestions for needed options for it? Our towing vehicle is a F150 Ford Crew Cab short bed. All responses are welcomed.
20 REPLIES 20

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have no experience with Travelite. It appears they have a model rated for a half ton truck.

Travelite

Kodiak02
Explorer
Explorer
Our purpose for a truck camper is because we like to dry camp for a few days as we pull a small flatbed with our Ranger side by side. Nothing to far off the grid. Just a few days doing good old camping but with the luxury of a camper. We do realize we are limited to smaller truck campers. Any suggestions?

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
It's just a little confusing.. you are posting in the truck camper section, and you talk of a tow vehicle? A F150 like yours will pull a decent size trailer, or a fifth wheel too.

You might want to consider a fiberglass unit like an escapetrailer.com

Certainly, there are some that are indeed fair weather units meant for paved roads, and some others that can handle tougher conditions.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

cpres
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at a slide in camper after having a motorhome I see a new truck in your future. I have a 9.5 foot long floor camper from the 70's and it is over 3000lbs loaded. I camp without a TV microwave or ac unit.

I suggest you go look at, lay in and pretend to use the restroom in lots of slide in campers as the are an amazing rv for some and other hate them. I love mine but hate my restroom. I am using a 1 ton dually to carry it and am much happier than when I used a modified Silverado 1500 under it.

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared. You will receive a lot of feedback on your truck. It has very little haul capacity thus significantly limiting your camper selection. I suggest you pick out a camper you would be comfortable with and then match it to a truck. There are several threads here than can give you great input. And, you're going to love TCing.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Your question is much too broad and open. Are you considering fifth wheels, travel trailers, or even a pick-up camper for your truck?

How long, how big are you needed. Do you want the ability to install solar panels or running on a generator, or nothing at all.

Will you be "dry camping" off the grid, down forest service roads, or Wall Mart parking lots?

Too many questions here. Can you narrow your desires down a little?