cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help fixing wood rot

raztec
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps there's a post on this but I did a quick search and came up empty.

I've got a pop-up Palomino Bronco that I just discovered has wood rot on the very front panel pop-up portion. I want to fix it properly then reseal it and need some help as I've never done this before. A few questions:

1. How much more than the rotten portions do I need to remove?
2. What kind of wood should I replace it with - simple plywood?
3. Do I need to apply any special sealant to the underside?
4. What's the best sealant to use on the outside surface?
5. Am I better off giving this to a pro to avoid this happening ever again, or is this an easy DIY weekend project?

Thanks
R
2 REPLIES 2

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Have a look at the Truck Camper University sticky thread - rot replacement is common on older campers and there are a number of write-ups with pictures (including when I replaced the roof of my Shadow Cruiser - you can see that on my profile).

There have been some roof rebuilds of pop-ups documented there too.

Good luck

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
I am more use to replace roten logs on a cabin but I think it is simular, any pirce of wood that is
Roten I would replace the entire piece if possible or as much as it is possible,
Some time you can also fix a portion with a kind of plastic wood specialy if it is not a suporting
Piece, I would use very dry wood like pine and use glue at the joints, their are very good wood
Sealant , look under log home repair on the web you will find good suggestion, as far as outside
Sealant 3m has very good products and also all campers store have special sealants,
If you check on this site you will se that some people completely rebuilt a camper, their is no reason you could not do it, good luck
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd