cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garbage can and food storage in a jay flight 26bh

CountryKim
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for all the silly questions. I am wondering where everyone keeps the garbage can in the jayco 26bh. I was loading the trailer last night and ended up sticking it under the sink next to the drawers. I feel like I am wasting space by doing this, but it is at least out of the way. It seems like there isn't another good spot for it.

Also in our 19h we didn't have a lot of upper cabinets and what we put in there was in enclosed bins and we stored our food in the lower cabinets. I put our food in the upper cabinets above the sofa in the new trailer last night and I am worried about something flying out during travel and ruining the furniture, like say a jar of salsa. I wouldn't normally worry but a friend with a similar trailer told us how a can of soup flew out of an upper cabinet and smashed the television. Thanks again for your help.
7 REPLIES 7

4AggiesMom
Explorer
Explorer
In my previous campers I had to have my garbage can "exposed" and it was OK (I could live with it). With this new trailer the trash can is in the cabinet and I really like it being out of sight. I put all my food in the pantry and upper cabinets.
I don't think of the trash can cabinet as a waste of space, I think of it as keeping the nasty garbage out of my way.

Also, I have used a piece of elastic with knotted ends and two cup hooks to fashion my own way of keeping the stuff in my cabinets in place in case the doors come open.
Proud Mom & Dad
3 Sons + 3 Daughters-in-law
1 Daughter + 1 Son-in-law
1 Grandson, 5 Granddaughters

tent-7yrs, popup-25yrs, hybrid-5yrs, travel trailer-3yrs
now-2016 Flagstaff 5th wheel pulled by F-250 diesel

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
sausageking wrote:
For the garbage we use a small stainless garbage can with lid that you open with a foot pedal, it takes grocery bags and is low enough that we can still open the fridge door. I believe we bought it at either Canadian Tire or Superstore. For the cabinets you can buyspring bars and place them between the cabinet stiles or use zip ties or bungies around two door knobs while traveling.

You can buy spring bars at a camping supply store, but to my mind they are way overpriced. Instead just get a tension rod in the curtain department of any discount store. Same function, but at a better price.

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
For the garbage we use a small stainless garbage can with lid that you open with a foot pedal, it takes grocery bags and is low enough that we can still open the fridge door. I believe we bought it at either Canadian Tire or Superstore. For the cabinets you can buy spring loaded bars and place them between the cabinet stiles or use zip ties or bungies around two door knobs while traveling.

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
Horse Doctor wrote:
We don't use a garbage can. Instead we hang the plastic bags from the grocery store on a cabinet door knob and use that for garbage. I take them to the trash quite frequently.

We also hang plastic shopping bags, but we used a "command" adhesive hook to hang it under the end if our counter peninsula. The only problem is the bags are getting more rare. Lots of towns around us making them illegal.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
We have room under the sink for a trash can, which is where it goes when we are traveling. When we park, we just put it in front of the oven. For a long time we would save our plastic grocery bags and place them over the oven door handle. (we do no use our oven)
As for food in the overheads, like others have said, we put down the rubber mat. We also store everything in plastic bins that are about the size of a shoe box. Not only does everything stay organized but it does not fall out either.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good question! Our new trailer has a trash can cabinet by the door, but we used to clothes pin a kitchen trash bag to the oven handle for trash on our other units.

On our previous trailer, we also put the food in overhead cabinets. I put down rubber shelf liner to slow down sliding and we kept everything in plastic bins. Never had anything jump out in five years.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

Horse_Doctor
Explorer
Explorer
We don't use a garbage can. Instead we hang the plastic bags from the grocery store on a cabinet door knob and use that for garbage. I take them to the trash quite frequently.
Michael and Mona Greenlee + TJ the wonder dog
2003 Bigfoot 29G
2012 F150 STX 4x4 toad