cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help in regards to SUN RV

Ronny_Resistor
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for advice from any one that knows more information in regards to "Policy change"

August 27, 2021 we drove to our SUN RV campsite where we have been for 10 years.

One of my neighbors informed me that I should check my e-mail as SUN RV has changed the rules on this RV Park.

We can no longer have Travel trailers on the site for more than 10 years. My e-mail from the park stated that this would be the last season we can stay / play at this trailer. My trailer is an older model (2004 Keystone 29' ). It is still very comfortable and we enjoy our weekend getaway every chance we get.

Finding a new trailer would be a challenge for most of us that got this letter there are about 20 trailers affected, some have been on site for 40 years. So we have people here that spend the winters in Florida and the summers in Ontario, Canada. We (Ontario) is still not fully opened, the US/Canada Border is closed for non-essential travel (Covid Restrictions) so going to Indiana or Pennsylvania is not an option (Purchase a US trailer and bring it Home).

Another issue would be buying an older trailer but they have a 5 to 10 year life span based on Sun RV policy. If we were to buy a 2012 Trailer it would be ok for 1 year and then we would be required to purchase another trailer for the next year.

So I am now wondering if this policy is a Sun RV corporate decision or this is a park decision. There are many seniors that will be directly effected by this policy, people who were at this park before SUN RV bought the park (Sun bought the park Approx. 5 years ago). When we arrived 10 years ago the park had multiple sites open and we were told that the Trailer had to be 15 years old or younger to enter the park and then it would be grandfathered in until the trailer was no longer safe to stay in.

So instead of enjoying the weekend i spent time with all my friends and were not sure what to do. It seams a little odd that the park would be this insensitive, especially during the last year we have had.

I am asking anyone that knows what we can do or if this is happening all over this industry, our sunshine got a little dimmer this weekend and i am getting a little desperate so i have reached out to this community for help.

We also thought that the park / Sun RV should have given us a 1 season notice but to blindly send you an email stating you are no longer welcome in the 2022 season and to give you 1 month notice is not right. Sorry for the rambeling.
8 REPLIES 8

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no problem with buy outs that change things. I was in the business world for over 40 years, I know how it works. What I have a problem with is their cut throat policies that leave vulnerable populations out on the street, some as soon as 30 days in the trailer park arena.
Puma 30RKSS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bucky wrote:
This is how Sun operates. They also buy up trailer parks and double the rent. They are actively scooping up properties in desirable locations and there is nothing anybody can do about the new owners. Grandfathered means nothing once it changes hands.

So, you suggest that companies (can substitute yourself in this also) should buy something (invest) then out of the goodness of their heart (or yours) keep the same price and same rules in the mean time taking huge risk and losses and not even coming close to breaking even on the investment?

That is not how things work in life and one would go broke in short order.

As far as "nobody" can "do anything" goes, YOU can do something, you can do the same as "SUN" and buy up those properties in "ideal locations" with your own personal money and finances and then treat everyone there with 100% free camping with zero rules.. Then you will see how difficult it can be to earn enough money to pay back the loans or gain back you took out and you will have places that are nothing more than a trash heap.

As far as "grandfathering" goes, if it is writing on some sort of legal document and you the renter have agreed to the terms by signing said document then the owner must abide by those terms until such time a new agreement is drawn up and signed.

Sometimes, however, the "grandfathering" may have time or condition limitations which may allow the new owner to change that policy without notice..

Then you could also have the verbal Grandfathering AKA "Gentleman's agreement" which is not legal or binding and basically the execution is hinging on both parties volunteering to follow through with the agreed terms and conditions.

But, then there is the verbal agreement of what the renter thinks was said and is highly upset that what they thought they heard doesn't match the reality of what was really said and gets mad about the new change.. I suspect, this is where the issue is with this thread.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is how Sun operates. They also buy up trailer parks and double the rent. They are actively scooping up properties in desirable locations and there is nothing anybody can do about the new owners. Grandfathered means nothing once it changes hands.
Puma 30RKSS

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Bid the new Sun RV management a hearty "Hasta la Vista Baby!" and find a new place to winter.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Ronny_Resistor wrote:
So I am now wondering if this policy is a Sun RV corporate decision or this is a park decision.

None of us here will have any idea, unless you find someone here that is on the management team of SUN RV.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it wasn't in writing, they never said it....

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ditto on calling park management.

Doesn't really matter if it was the Park or the owner, unless you have something written in your contract Grandfathering your trailer indefinitely with no limitations, it comes down to their decision based on what it looks like from the outside and if they feel it is "safe" to use.

Old RVs sitting around often look tired, wornout, unsafe as they tend to not get the care that they would if they were being used to travel with.

If your contract says "unsafe to use", that makes it a grey judgment call which makes it difficult for the owners make such a call.. Changing it to a yr/age thing may make the campgrounds management and owners job much easier without having to use a judgment call that another neighbor in the campground can't call foul.

You do have the option to move to a different park with different management/owners (there are other parks) with what you have or buy a new or newer unit and stay where you are. You are not stuck. New and used units are out there, sadly at this time much more expensive and a bit harder to find but still an option.

They are allowing you to continue using for this season so you have time to decide to replace or move to a different park.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Maybe call the park management to discuss the situation.

We will only be able to speculate:
- We've always found the 10yr rule is really about how your rig looks. If it's in good shape, they often forget to ask about age and I've never heard of permanent rigs getting kicked out.
- Or, They may be trying to upscale the park so they can charge more with the recent surge in RV'ing. If they have a waiting list, they can get away with chasing out the oldest rigs and then set themselves up to raise prices in a year or two.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV