cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Installing Winegard Trav'ler Satellite on 2011 Wildwood

sgarza817
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there I am going to attempt to install the Winegard Trav'ler Satellite to the top of my travel Trailer. I have a couple of questions. The first picture is the satellite itself (not my trailer)

Second picture is the top of the roof of my trailer. The red is where the location of the satellite will be in.

Now my questions are

1. I believe its 9 screws I drill onto the top of my roof around the satellite. Do i drill only the holes that will land on the wood pieces or am I able to drill through all the 9 holes?

2. What kind of screws should i use to drill onto the roof? (newbie question) lol

3. How can i run down 4 cables that need to shoot from the satellite to the box that will be in the cabinet directly under the AC unit to the left of it?

4. Whats the best type of silicon to use for

Anyone have any additional steps on installing this bad boy. I would take all the advice i can.
8 REPLIES 8

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It isnt vinyl; it is TPO or EPDM. Either product Dicor makes a product for it.

No offense intended but you sound like a candidate for professional installation.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
sgarza817 wrote:
Thank you for all your guys input! I truly appreciate it!

So is it safe to screw down all 9 screws to the ground? Only like 4 or the screws will hit the wood. And the other 5 will hit the vinyl.Yeah, only a few of my screws hit the studs as well. The others are into the sheating. Don't tighten those very much or they will strip. They are just there to "help".

The top of the roof is vinyl so would dicor be good to use?
I'm not sure what to use on vinyl. Never had any on my TTs.
I think Dicor may be OK, but don't take my word for it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

sgarza817
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all your guys input! I truly appreciate it!

So is it safe to screw down all 9 screws to the ground? Only like 4 or the screws will hit the wood. And the other 5 will hit the vinyl.

The top of the roof is vinyl so would dicor be good to use?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I too installed my own. Adam above has a pretty good handle on it.

I did a couple of things different on my install.
My location was pretty far from the batwing, and I wanted to keep it anyway.
So it was to go towards the rear. I did not want any new holes in the roof, and was able to run the wires along the rear ladder, all the way to the bottom, and come up thru the floor. No possible way for it to be a source of a leak.
I also glued a nice piece of stainless steel to the roof for the roller to ride on.
I used dicor for thism and for all the sealing required.

Then I desided that I liked the self stowing option that can be installed, so if you forget to stow it, it automatically stows itself.
This required a whole house inverter, to provide AC power to the dish at all times... That project is a whole nother thread, but it was well worth it.
I used the brake lights as the trigger to start stowing. It works great, except when I stay hitched up for the night, and forget to junplug the umbilical from the TV.. Locking the truck with the remote flashes terh brake lights and stows the dish..... Believe it or not, it took me awhile to figure this out. Not a big deal once you know what to expect..

And yes that part of the install has prevented an expensive mistake!
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
I installed my own Trav'ler and it was a breeze.

I removed the original Batwing and installed the dish right over that.

Please see the answers inline to your questions below.

1. I believe its 9 screws I drill onto the top of my roof around the satellite. Do i drill only the holes that will land on the wood pieces or am I able to drill through all the 9 holes?
A: The hardware that you need for installation is all included and uses self drilling screws.

2. What kind of screws should i use to drill onto the roof? (newbie question) lol
A: See above.

3. How can i run down 4 cables that need to shoot from the satellite to the box that will be in the cabinet directly under the AC unit to the left of it?
A: I removed the radio antenna since we don't use the radio and used that as the entry point for the two cables the satellite uses (1 coax, and 1 control cable).

4. Whats the best type of silicon to use for
A: I don't know what type of roof your RV has, but for our roof we used dicor to seal all entry points.

The best thing you can do is read the manual repeatedly until you understand everything and watch a few YouTube videos on other people installing theirs. Also, don't be cheap with the sealant.

BTW -- Winegard customer service rocks!

Good luck!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought a "satellite" of the type being discussed here was parked in space a couple hundred miles above the earth and that what one would install on a trailer roof would be a satellite antenna. :W I don't have one so what would I know? 😛
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
I second what sremsing said. We were camping and noticed a trailer with a satellite that was huge on a MH. We started talking and he was asking about our little Tailgater. Apparently, size doesn't matter in this case. He was getting poor reception due to the trees. By having a portable satellite he could move it around. He wanted one as a backup.

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
I actually did not install my satellite on top of my tt. I set it on the ground and move it around to best location for finding satellite. Most places we camp is pretty well tree covered and if it were stationary I would not find a signal.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.