cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me with Brand selection

titleman
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned several fifth wheels and a DP but never a travel trailer. I think I am about ready to try one and need some help. Can some of you guys or gals give me some suggestions on good quality brands I might consider. I know there are lots of them out there but am not up to speed on knowing what is considered good better and best. I fully realize that quality means different things to different folks but I need a place to start.

I am interested in something in the 25 to 28 foot range and as stated, quality is important. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Titleman
2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
11 REPLIES 11

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it depends on your expectations. In the past, we've owned a Royals International, a Teton & Newmar 5th Wheels. Down sizing to a Travel Trailer came when owning a Dually was no longer practical. Under 30' became our objective. After a great deal of homework, the Arctic Fox Silver Fox remained the only Travel Trailer we agreed on. Although they don't have the most elegant of interiors, they do come standard with true 4 season insulation, heated holding tanks, solid surface counter tops, solid wood cabinets, larger refrigerator etc. For us, that made up for a lot of the lacking ginger bread. From Florida to Alaska and back, we've never regretted our decision.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the major manufacturers also have trailer forums of their own.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

titleman
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly thank each of you for your ideas and suggestions. I will be looking at each of these to try determine which would be the best fit for me. Again, thanks and if others have something to add, please do so.
Titleman
2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fully realize that quality means different things to different folks but I need a place to start.

Plus,as you already know, there is good and not so good in every line.
I would choose a floorplan that will work for your needs.
Then I would scroll through various Mfg's. that offer that floorplan. I would then read the owners forums to see which Mfg.'s step up to the plate to help those owners who have invested in their company when/if they need help with issues. That's the TT I would buy.
I have found that RV's at various quality levels can/do work well for the time I have owned them. They all depreciate quite fast so I would be careful of over spending.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Airstream
Northwood MFG
Outdoor RV MFG
Lance
Livin Lite.

All other brands are cookie cutter types. Those listed above each offers something other brands don't.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
As I did back in 2003 contact the RV Consumer Group for a summary of their ratings of the TT's out there. It's more objective than the posts on this Forum. Mine came in book form that I could peruse at my leisure. It rates the RV's in various categories.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I visited the Riverside Mfg. plant in Lagrange, In. I watched each step of the process and was very impressed. I bought the Whitewater Retro 195. It is 24.5 feet. I am well pleased.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Grand Design FW a couple of years ago, and really like it. They are making two different TT products now. The Imagine and the Reflection. Both appear to be well built units. And the company is great to work with.

Grand Design Imagine Product Line

Grand Design Reflection Product Line

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

PAAK
Explorer
Explorer
Outdoors RV makes dependable trailers. I love mine, great quality. It all depends on what you like. I prefer 4 seasons cause it stays chilly here in AK.
Best of luck on your purchase.

http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/
2011 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel
2011 Creek Side 23RKS

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think there are any high quality tts. Airstream is the only one and no slides unless you buy used.

There are some really low quality brands. Look for Fiberglas end caps, solid wood cabinets including fronts.

I think Winnebago seemed a little better built than many. Interesting layout.

31' we like.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Airstream, artic fox, and all the others out there. I have a Fun Finder, entry level and it's a great trailer. We just spent two months in it with zero problems. Find what you like and buy it and move on with life