cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed - Busted black water pipe backing into garage

Shamrox425
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, new travel camper owner here. I just bought one of those retro campers, and backing it into my garage I was so worried about clearing the top of the garage, I completely forgot the black water pipe that sticks out about 5 inches on the side. It caught on the side of the garage and cracked. Luckily the tank is only 5 gal and nearly empty other than a lot of some green chemical. I let the whole thing drain for a day before I got started on attempting to fix it.

I'm having a hell of a time getting the bottom red panel off, but wanted to make sure that is something I had to do to fix this. Maybe there was an easier way of replacing the black pipe that is cracked? I attached some pictures, and would really appreciate any advice/tips to get me going in the right direction. I was quoted $300 to by a mobile rv repair business to fix it, but I'd really like to do it myself and learn something if possible. Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14

Shamrox425
Explorer
Explorer
Would something like this work? A 3" Rubber grommet

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=24590&SID=36&DID=7&CID=400

Shamrox425
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for that suggestion, I've explored that idea (3rd party tank) with the RV tech, but that will not work in this situation for several reasons. I've also spent a lot of time dealing with the local dealer. This was my first thought as well - but apparently these models are so new, replacement parts are very hard to come by - in this case - not at all. I have to patch this hole and reattach the pipe somehow.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
As thin as that is I would have the dealer pursue getting a new tank from the mfg. The dealer can put more pressure on the mfg then then a customer. The trailer mfg buys these tanks from a supplier I would try to find out who builds the tanks for the mfg.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
You always could order one:

RV Tanks Camper, Motorhome, Travel Trailer
Plastic-Mart
To be used as: Fresh-Water Tanks; Waste Holding Tanks; Grey Water Tanks; Black Water Septic Holding Tanks; Popular Users: Motorhomes RV's Travel Trailers.

Tank Depot

Trionic Tanks: TRIONIC offers an extensive line of Marine and RV water and holding tanks to meet most size and durability requirements.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Shamrox425
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone that has responded. The RV Mobile tech discovered there was a crack in the actual tank, not the pipe. It was already cracked half way around so he pulled it all the way off. Since I was paying him by the hour, I told him he could go, and I pulled the shower and black tank out myself. Below are the pictures. I must mention I cannot buy a replacement black water tank - I've tried calling the manufacturer, who just refers me to a local dealer - who says they don't sell replacement tanks for this model (yet). So I have to fix this on my own. I need to patch this black water tank, which appears to be made of fiberglass so I can attach this 3" pipe. Also if anyone knows the name of the 3" pipe and black water hose adapter please let me know so the folks at Home Depot will know what I'm talking about. Any suggestions on how I can patch this would be appreciated.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a plumbing tool made to cut pipe on the inside of the pipe. A Dremel would also work on the inside. Once the cracked part is off, use a coupling to attach a new outside fitting.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need to take a better look at the underside, there is usually always a way to get to the underside stuff. You should be able to fab up a small trim piece to hide the panel damage after you straighten it up a bit.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Shamrox425
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is, and the panel is aluminum. There is no way to get to that pipe from underneath and there isn't enough exposed to work with, its completely sealed off. Guess I'll just wait for the repair guy. Thanks for all the tips.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a Riverside "Retro" unit? I'm curious because at their webpage they don't say what the sides are made of; the below pic looks as if the skin is some kind of plastic. I thought they used aluminum panels like the old trailers they're sort of modeled on.

Either way, that part of the skin is so badly torn/stretched that it looks to me like you'll either have to replace the whole panel or put some kind of a camouflaging "ring" around that area. That $300.00 repair tag is soundin' pretty good to me if it includes such work!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you use the right glue. There is a difference between PVC and abs.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
As long as there is enough good pipe sticking out of the tank to glue a coupler to, it is a very easy no leak fix. Cut the pipe clean it up glue on a new coupler, glue in a new piece of pipe, glue in in the knife valve, another piece of pipe and glue an end adaptor back in place. Like said above, set it up so the end adaptor is next to the side of the rig not sticking out to be hit again.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a few broken sewer pipes in my RV'ing life. They seem so easy to fix. I too researched how to fix it. Decided against it and called repair. Leaking sewage at any time is not something you ever want to mess with.

Here to tell you that all the info I got on how to do a DIY? Was all wrong. The way the repair guy did it was totally different and his way "insured" it would never leak. He had all the parts on board for the fix. Seeing as they see 'a lot' of these types of repairs!

Homemade install patches almost always leak. Up to you if you don't mind that down the road traveling when it springs a leak.

IMHO...trust me $300 is a VERY GOOD price to have mobile RV repair it.

If it were my RV I'd pay to have it done. Just saying.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
on your repair keep the pipe as close to the side wall as possible could be your not the first to have broken this pipe.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like you can cut the black pipe inboard of the siding wall. You should be able to slide a new piece of pipe onto a repair coupling, inboard, and then attach the final drain coupling to the exposed new pipe. All of this can be done without removing the red siding piece.

I don't understand why the drain hose connector is 5" out from the wall. It could be flush or nearly so and that would prevent just the kind of thing that happened.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton