cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed picking out some 245/70R19.5 tires

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for some 245/70R19.5 load range G for a 4X4 3/4 ton pickup that mostly will see highway miles. Some of the criteria are as follows.

1, Must be hi quality/reliable.......this truck will mostly be used for long distance vacation trips with a truck camper on it and it may end up on an Alaska trip in a couple of years.

2, As it will mostly be long distance, highway miles, I don't want tires that would be objectionably noisy.

3, Very rarely will be off road, but an all terrain type tread would be OK, so long as they are not real noisy.

4, Was advised to use a straight tread steer tire and an all terrain on the rear, but that limits rotation to side to side.

While I don't want to spend money foolishly, price is not a huge concern. I am willing to pay a little extra for something I will be happy with.

Anyone have any experience with this size tires?

Thanks!
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs
15 REPLIES 15

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have the toyo steer tires all around. if I had to do it all over I would go for the 608s on all 4 corners
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Mine sing like nothing I've owned before (coming from a offroad world and swampers and other loud mud tires) but it's not horrible. Mine are in the most aggressive side so a pure highway tire will be pretty quiet. I go offroad and wanted more traction, although these are so stiff they suck anyways.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Those
Bridge stones are what I run in the summer in the 265-70-19.5 size. Ther have abit of sing. Not as much as the Toyos I run in the winter. They are better than steer tires just not enough traction for Alaska winters. But I have made two trips across the Denali Highway, both with lots rain and mud and they got me through. They did slip a few times but nothing 4 wd didn't cover. Either these or the Toyos would be my recommendation. Hope this helps!
Garry in Alaska
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Yukoners
Explorer
Explorer
I'm quite happy with these:
Bridgestone M729F
They sing a bit on asphalt but not enough to bother us.
I have a few thousand miles of winter driving in all conditions and continue to be impressed.
2006 GMC 3500 4x4 Duramax/Allison SRW LB CC Helwig Sway Bars, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone airbags, Rickson 19.5", Bridgestone M729F 225s, Airraid CAI, Lightforce driving lights.
2012 Arctic Fox 990 Torklift tie downs, Fast guns, Foxlanding, 2500 Onan gennie

Bedlam
I have steer/highway tires on the front and drive/traction tires on the rear. They are quieter than my last setup with traction tires on all four corners. You might look into something like this since the open shoulder tread of a drive tire on the front is what makes the most noticeable noise.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great info.

As 99%+ of my driving will be highway, I am a little concerned that some of the ones shown may be more aggressive than I would need. Anyone have any experience with a straight highway tire all the way around on a 4WD? I was told that I would be stuck on wet grass with a straight tread tire, even with 4WD.

Thanks again!!
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Here they are on the truck. I hope this helps give you an idea of what they would look like, even though these are one size smaller.

The tread is really deep. That is a quarter nearly swallowed up in the tread.

Good Luck!!
GArry in Kodiak, Alaska
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
I have Toyo M608 and they are great! A very stong tire, with enough tread for other than pavement if needed. I hear them 'sing' to me and it's a good sound. You'll appreciate the sound if it changes as a early warning something isn't right.

I got mine for Les Schwab. Since I mostly drive out West, they are located in just about any town, so there's that to consider when you select your tires; will there be a store to service them if there's a problem on the road.

I agree, These are Toyo M608 tires that I got for my F350. They are 225-70-19.5 but are available in the 245 and 265. I went to the 225 for my winter tires since my old winter tires were 235-85-16 and they are close enough that my chains still work. You can get then without studs.

Toyo M608 225-70-19.5

I have them mounted now, pics to come. They have a little bit of "sing" to them but with the life expectancy of 19.5 commercial tires on our trucks, you may consider doing a more traction type tire, as you will have them a very long time, and since you are 4x4, and not knowing what or where you will be doing things in 5+ years, having a traction tire vice a steer tire may be worth the little bit of sing vice silence when you need a bit more traction.

Just a few thoughts since I have been running 19.5's for 5 years now, and now I have two sets. these studded for winter and 265-70-19.5's for the summer that are much less aggressive, but still are more of an all-season tread.
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I have Toyo M608 and they are great! A very stong tire, with enough tread for other than pavement if needed. I hear them 'sing' to me and it's a good sound. You'll appreciate the sound if it changes as a early warning something isn't right.

I got mine for Les Schwab. Since I mostly drive out West, they are located in just about any town, so there's that to consider when you select your tires; will there be a store to service them if there's a problem on the road.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have Michelin XDS2 tires. Mud and snow...
They are not really loud but you can hear them.
Have about 40K on them now...
I will replace with the same if they wear out before I or the Truck does.

No matter what you get make sure you get the Mud and snow's and if you can Ice too.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
It's not exactly the same size but I'm about to replace my 5 year old Bridgestone OEM tires with 69,000 miles on them and the tread still seems good! Not a particular fan of Bridgestone but I can't complain about that mileage. Picked up a couple of nails/screws along the way but that's it. We tow 7500 lbs.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
I've got Firestone FD690 plus, Firestone is part of the Bridgestone group. They were recommended by Rickson, they are quiet and can be installed front & rear. I've had them for two years and would buy them again.

X2 Nice tires.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
I've got Firestone FD690 plus, Firestone is part of the Bridgestone group. They were recommended by Rickson, they are quiet and can be installed front & rear. I've had them for two years and would buy them again.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Here are some to choose from.
Rickson