cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help requested for first time rv trailer buyer

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer
Planned on buying new livin lite from a dealer in June, but found one used only "once" about three hours away. Have not viewed yet. Looks to be a 90% match to what we want, not perfect but we could live with it. Budget $16,000 to $20,000.

How much can we expect a dealer to discount off the msrp? I think it was $26800.

If this is used just once, a 2013 model, how much off msrp should we expect.

Owner says credit union has loan and title, any advice on purchasing this if we want to do This? How to not be ripped off?

My new Ridgeline is not broken in yet ,so I will use my dads F150 it bring this home or contract with a transport company to bring this to me.

It weighs 2600 #, so the f150 probably cannot tow this on a bumper hitch, right?

It also does not have a brake box. If it could tow this, would this be horribly unsafe without a brake box to get this home? The cable hookup on my ridgeline only controls lights, right? It is the aftermarket brake box that activates the rv brakes, right?

Owner says the tanks have not even had water in them, can I verify this with a visual inspection?

On a $20,000 item, how much savings would you want to "risk" a used rv?

Any other advice for a first time buyer would be appreciated.

Target rig is my new Honda ridgeline towing a 14db or 16db living lite.

Many thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer
Lance is very nice, but still had some engineered wood on the inside. It was cut with CNC mills so that the cabinet face,for example, was one piece, and therefore not subject to being shaken loose. We saw an 18 and the smallest at 15 is the only one we would consider.

I have seen so many that are just pressboard, and poorly constructed that I have gone the opposite way with the aluminum framed livin lite with its "cold" industrial interior, which I think My designer wife can overcome.

We will most likely just "backpack" out of this thing, using our small stoves, and go minimalistic like n a backpack trip, except for the food

Finally read my ridgeline book and it advised against a weight distribution hitch. I ll post something about this in a day or so to get some ridgeline owners input.

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Cairn terrier wrote:
Hey Brett, you and my wife have the same idea. Going to wash and put an excellent coat of wax on the Ridgeline today.

The used livin lite possible buy went away, so we will return and stick to our game plan of a June - September purchase, after we both retire in June for our current jobs.

Now back to educating myself more. I'll post another question in the travel trailer section and see if get mostly kind informative responses.

Thanks to a post recommending the Lance, we looked at one yesterday.

How did you like them? I always thought they were very interesting, but never was able to see one in person. They didn't have quite the features we wanted, but I always look twice when I see one. They're sharp units.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Brett, you and my wife have the same idea. Going to wash and put an excellent coat of wax on the Ridgeline today.

The used livin lite possible buy went away, so we will return and stick to our game plan of a June - September purchase, after we both retire in June for our current jobs.

Now back to educating myself more. I'll post another question in the travel trailer section and see if get mostly kind informative responses.

Thanks to a post recommending the Lance, we looked at one yesterday.

Brett_K
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought...it sounds like you need to get that new Ridgeline out to break it in. If the camper is a few hours away, i am sure running errands for a few days will get you over 600 miles quick. I think i hit that in my first few days after buying mine.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Cairn terrier wrote:
Thank you speedogomer. I was about to tell most people on this forum .... Well, to just keep their higher than anyone opinions. Are these the people I will be sharing campgrounds with. I might should reconsider this entire thing. Thanks again speedogomer. I appreciate your help and time.
Don't worry, those folks will all be in their rigs, on the internet, and not bothering you.:B

Depending on the weight of the Livinlite (nice choice, BTW) you may just wish to have it towed to your location. You will have your hands full with getting the new Ridgeline all prepared and figuring out what other essentials you'll need for camping and towing.

Maybe there's a sticky thread in the towing section of the Forum that has to do with towing, weights, hitches, etc.. If not, you should do some research so you know how everything works and will benefit your towing experience.

I think the backlash around towing and weight handling may be due to the number of new folks that are trying to pull pretty big weights with their grocery-getter or family SUV. Some of the posters don't like being told their choices are not good.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
STANDARD TOWING FEATURES of the Ridgeline...
โ€ข Integrated closed-box frame with unit-body construction
โ€ข Integrated class III trailer hitch
โ€ข 5,000-lb. towing capacity
โ€ข Trailer harness (RTS and RTL; RT and Sport are pre-wired for a trailer harness)
โ€ข Pre-wired for trailer brake controller
โ€ข Heavy-duty radiator with dual 160-watt fans
โ€ข Heavy-duty power-steering fluid cooler
โ€ข Heavy-duty automatic-transmission fluid cooler
โ€ข Power-assisted ventilated front disc/solid rear disc brakes

Towing requires the addition of the Honda accessory towing kit, trailer harness and hitch ball. Trailer harness standard on RTS and RTL models. Premium unleaded fuel recommended when towing. Please see your Honda dealer for details.

MSRP of 26800 new trailer should sell for just south of 19000 or 20000, and the same used 2013 trailer should be real close to 17000 +/-, IMOโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
Cairn terrier wrote:
Thank you speedogomer. I was about to tell most people on this forum .... Well, to just keep their higher than anyone opinions. Are these the people I will be sharing campgrounds with. I might should reconsider this entire thing. Thanks again speedogomer. I appreciate your help and time.

This forum is what helped me make a decision on what trailer I wanted, so I'd like to repay the favor whenever I can.

I think sometimes this forum is very quick to judge, however in my experience every forum has "touchy" subjects. This forum seems to be touchy on tow vehicles. Some of it is warranted, and sometimes it's a little harsh.

I think you'll find the trailer that's right for you, but may take a while. An RV show can really help pick out models... It really helped me (I went to 2).

Btw, you may have to share a campground with me some day too. I'll have a cold beer waiting to prove we're not so bad.
1982 DW, "Rachel"

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my 2600# trailer 165 miles, without brakes, with an F150.
I took it easy, was on 55 mph roads and I stayed under that. The truck was stopping everything very well. I did however have a receiver hitch.
Just keep your distance and take it EASY.
The trailer is in my Sig.

I know a lot of our friends are going to disagree with me, but if you are on the road,and your trailer brakes quit, are you going to stop there, or tow on to a repair shop?

Montana_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Montana Mike wrote:
Ok nobody else is brave enough. Nothing you listed sounds safe. Sorry. Bumper hitch is not even good enough to get you unstuck! And if your on the same road as my kids are driving I would not be happy. Use the right hitch and TV please. And get a brake controller please.

Ok I apologize I spoke to soon. I still don't like bumper hitches guess I through my personal opinion in there. And I definitely feel safer driving with trailer brakes working for quick stops when somone does somthing stupid in front of you like my kids.
Time to get camping! 2013 28'Shadow Cruiser
One wife, 4 boys, 2 dogs and a cat.
Montana Mike

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
A few things...

#1. I would think the Rv would be discounted well into your price range. Call other livin lite dealers and get quotes. For reference, my new TT was an MSRP of over $30k... Sale price was $22k.

#2. Call the credit union and confirm with them that they hold the title. Ask if they have a notary there that can notarize a bill of sale. Find a generic bill of sale form online. The credit union may be able to help you with any concerns.

#3 If the savings were $4K over a new unit, I'd buy the used. $1k savings .... I'd probably just buy the new unit. That's really whatever your comfortable spending. See how much warranty is left on the unit. If there is plenty of warranty, I wouldn't worry. Another question to ask, why is the current owner selling it after barely using it? Is it because he's moving, a divorce, or because the unit has water damage... All things to consider.

#4. You'll want a brake controller but not all states require them. My state does not require a controller specifically. Most all boat tailers do not have electric brakes at all, only surge brakes, and most people rarely have problems. Since the trailer has electric and not surge brakes, a ccontrolleris needed to apply them. You would probably make it home just fine, but since you'll want a controller eventually anyways, just get that installed now and not worry later about it. A weight distribution hitch with sway control will really improve your towing experience as well, but see what Honda recommends. I would not be concerned about a break in period but consult your manual.

#5 Your Ridgeline should tow the unit fine. Sometimes this forum seems quick to denounce a tow vehicle because the GVWR. There is some truth to that, however im your case you'd literally have to more than double the dry weight of the trailer (2300lbs) to reach its GVWR(5000lbs). That's adding more than one and a quarter tons of cargo to a 14ft trailer.... Not sure you'd even be able to if you tried. You should be within your limits.

#6 You're taking great steps in asking here first, and no one should scold you or belittle you for ASKING. Not everyone is a towing expert, and knowledge is gained through questions that you're asking. Seems like some people want to make you feel bad for even asking questions. Answers to those questions are more appropriate than belittling.

#7 Have fun with the whole process! It's exciting a and fun in its own Wierd way just researching and buying. We'll need pictures of this beautiful little camper ASAP!
1982 DW, "Rachel"

Brett_K
Explorer
Explorer
Cairn terrier wrote:
Clarification, without brake box to just get this home..... One time tow, not permanent. Will hire tow service or pay someone properly equipped to get this home, IF we see and like it.

Factor that into your cost vs. new. You might be able to use that as a bargaining chip if the current owner delivers. Be careful with delivery services and be careful of some of those advertised on craigs list who may not be insured to do what they offer.

I see a lot of Ridgeline's pulling 18-20ft hybrids.

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer
Clarification, without brake box to just get this home..... One time tow, not permanent. Will hire tow service or pay someone properly equipped to get this home, IF we see and like it.

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for advice. Will get a brake controller for my ridgeline, that has all if 120 miles on it.

The reason I was asking these questions was TO BE SAFE and not endanger anyone. You will note that I have not even seen, much less purchased this yet, and the inquiries about one time towing without a brake box was to get input to consider this vs hiring a tow service. Thanks to all the kind advice.