cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help us decide on tow vehicle and daily driver

Jake1962
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we are a young couple with 2 small children, 2 large dogs and a new 24' travel trailer. We purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee (against Dad's advice) and have had nothing but trouble without even towing. Needless to say the Jeep is gone and we are searching for the ideal tow vehicle and daily driver for our family. The decision is definitely a GMC pickup truck with cap, 4 doors for 2 car seats and it must be a 4x4. My wife will be driving it 20 miles per day with children.
I have always wanted a diesel but my Dad says the cost of ownership is way more then a gasser for the amount of towing we will be doing. If we go with a gasser, what rear end do you recommend for a 6000# trailer and at most 10,000#? I will be taking a yearly trip thru mountains to visit inlaws but most less then 100 miles. I believe a 2500 is in order because years ago I had a 1500 that just didn't have what I felt I needed to tow my 5000# "toy jeep". We also want the longest bed available.
I guess my biggest questions that I have is do I go gas or diesel and why? Do I go with a big rear end or smaller for daily driving?
My Dad has always had a 454 in his trucks to tow with and the 4;10 rear end and is telling me I need to go big from the start but stay away from diesel.
Please give me your advice or tell me of your experiences.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
34 REPLIES 34

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
These types of questions without a lot of info on future plans, location (weather, urban rural, mountainous,) make it really difficult for anyone to really make an informed suggestion.

If you had no plans to update in the time you will own the truck, and want something easier for to drive in town, a gas Crew cab Colorado could pull your trailer with room to spare. The I-4 Duramax has the same amount of torque as a GMT 400 454 and falls about 50 hp of matching the big block in hp.

You want to increase your trailer somewhat in the future, but don't plan on going a lot larger. A 1500 depending on the specs will get you to about 12K. gas or diesel is now or will be very soon an option with all three prime OEMs.

If you plan adding a substantially larger RV within the time you plan on owning this vehicle than get a HD. Gas or diesel? Really depends on your money situation, distance traveled, topography of where you would go RVing and host of there factors.

Then there are factors that simply come down to what you want (assuming your pockets are deep enough to satisfy your "want").

I know many guys who drive an HD simply because that is what they want to drive. They don't pull anything, but they wont buy a 1500. Diesel is the same way, many guys simply want to drive a diesel, even though a gas would easily satisfy their towing needs. Long box, short box, it goes on and on.

Good luck, let us know where you end up.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
You don't say where you live, but if it gets cold in winter where you live, you're going to have one very unhappy wife if she can't get any heat out of that diesel in the winter.

My truck warms up quickly and keeps me warm and my commute is only 5 miles long (Idaho winters can be cold). My understanding is that the current Dmax and Powerstroke also warm up very quickly. I think the Ford even has an optional electric heater for immediate heat.

It doesn't seem to spit out heat any slower than our Honda Pilot or any of our other prior vehicles. In fact it heats up noticeably faster than an old Xterra I used to drive for years.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say where you live, but if it gets cold in winter where you live, you're going to have one very unhappy wife if she can't get any heat out of that diesel in the winter.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
It's OK to have too much truck, it is NOT going to be OK to have an undersize truck. I towed a 27' TT with a Toyota Tundra. It towed OK and I used it as a daily driver; I didn't know any better even though it was within it's limits. Once I got a Chevy 3500 and towed, I now know the difference for which some of us speak of-you won't go wrong getting a diesel. Overkill for your TT now, yes, but it will tow it so much better than a 1/2 ton daily driver. One other thing to consider, with a 1/2 ton truck; they size of the gas tank. Towing with my Tundra, I had to stop every 2 hours to fill up. That caused a big problem trying to find a gas station and was very inconvenient on a long trip.

smurfs_of_war
Explorer
Explorer
What does your pocket book tell you? Your Dad is right, or sorta right, or maybe not. A diesel can potentially be a heck of a lot more money to have as a daily driver, or just marginally more expensive, or barely more expensive. I wouldn't own one of the newer ones out of warranty personally. Diesel fuel costs more than regular here, problems with them are typically way more expensive to fix.... etc.

Any of the gas HD 250/2500s will handle that kind of weight without issue. I wouldn't hesitate to run up to about 10K with mine and not think twice about it. It's pulled that weight plenty already so I know it manages it just fine. Realistically, almost any modern 150/1500 would handle that without issue too as long as you don't get the super bling models.

You don't need a diesel- heck, you don't even NEED a 2500 but that's personal preference. I have a 2500 for a similar sized trailer and a large family so I won't pass judgement ๐Ÿ™‚

I think you'd be kicking yourself in short time if you went diesel for that. They have their place, but this isn't it. Unless you just want one for the sake of having it- then I say giver!

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Your description of the trailer size are well within the 3/4 ton truck capacities, gas or diesel. But since this will also be a daily driver for your wife, I suggest you have her drive several trucks, and dont only look at GM. For what you described a ford F-150 especially with HD pkg and the 3.5 eco boost would serve well, and be a somewhat easier vehicle to feed as well as possibly be a better feel for your DW.
I dont know how many miles a year you anticipate towing annually, but the commute miles will definitely be cheaper and likely as, if not more comfortable with the 1/2 ton platform.

Try them all, all the big three trucks are capable and functional, but comfort in driving and handling are extremely important.

^^^This. Go drive a 2018 F150 Lariat Supercrew. I have one with the HD package, 3.5 EB,
and 6.5 foot bed (you will have to order, dealers will not have any). I load it with my wife and 2 kids, 3 dogs, and tow a 27' trailer. Did 2000 miles with it over the Holidays. It is comfortable, quiet, spacious, and smooth while towing, and makes an excellent daily driver with all the kids/sports/dogs. Lariat has plenty of features and cool stuff @ $53k OTD. You don't need nor want a diesel for what you want to do.

Mike

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Your description of the trailer size are well within the 3/4 ton truck capacities, gas or diesel. But since this will also be a daily driver for your wife, I suggest you have her drive several trucks, and dont only look at GM. For what you described a ford F-150 especially with HD pkg and the 3.5 eco boost would serve well, and be a somewhat easier vehicle to feed as well as possibly be a better feel for your DW.
I dont know how many miles a year you anticipate towing annually, but the commute miles will definitely be cheaper and likely as, if not more comfortable with the 1/2 ton platform.

Try them all, all the big three trucks are capable and functional, but comfort in driving and handling are extremely important.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think HD trucks are a no brainer over half tons in terms of a towing platform. You don't need one for a 6000 lb trailer but they don't really cost any more and they work better, so why not? Just my take.

Gas vs diesel is the age old debate. The total cost of ownership difference between the two is a wash so don't get stuck on that red herring provided you can handle the higher up front cost of the diesel. My personal preference is diesel.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
go look at and drive some 1/2 ton trucks, if you can get one with a little lower gear and the bigger engine for the year you are looking at it will be best if you plan on towing much at all.

I would not get a diesel with what you are planing on doing, but if a 3/4 ton came up and looked good, I would not rule it out just for being a 3/4 ton.
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, what is your budget for the truck? That goes a long way in the decision making process.

Also, if you think you might go to 10,000 lbs in the future, you don't want a 1/2 ton.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone that the diesel is not absolutely needed. It will allow the OP many more options in the future.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I think a a 3/4 ton diesel is overkill for what you have now....not that that's a problem. But as your kids grow, will you want to upgrade your trailer? If you think there's a chance, then go bigger.

And yes, diesels cost more to maintain. And, depending on where you live, the fuel costs more. My husband and I just had this discussion about the new 3.0 Ford diesel coming out, as I was thinking of getting a truck with that when it's available, but he mentioned how much oil changes etc. cost so I decided against that possibility. But I'm also only ever towing a utility trailer, not a heavy camper.

That being said, I'm a wife, no kids though. I would have driven our old F250 Super Duty as a daily driver without many issues. I would NOT have driven it if I worked in a downtown type area with tight parking though. Before buying my Explorer I also contemplated an F150 with cap as a daily driver too, it was very easy and comfortable to drive. An F150 would probably work with your current trailer, but probably not enough for anything bigger.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
ALWAYS LISTEN TO DAD! But, having said that, a diesel would allow you to upgrade to a bigger trailer or 5th wheel later and give you a great towing experience now. The maintenance costs is a little more but the towing is far better. I use my 3500 Chevy as a daily driver and love it. Right now you may not NEED a diesel and a gasser will do you fine, but if you want something that can last for your next trailer, diesel will not let you down. Good luck

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Of course, I fall into the "diesel" crowd for obvious reasons.... I own one.

Having had gas and diesel, for comparables... 3500 long bed dually's, by far, for towing, the diesel is superior.

Here's my rule of thumb. Far too often folks get a lesser vehicle because they are using it as a daily driver. Then occasionally use it to tow a trailer of some sort. The tow vehicle is really not "truly" hefty enough to to what they have, but they use it anyway. Now, instead of a daily driver, they are towing a behemoth behind them WITH their family and find the performance is less than enjoyable. Now, they are putting their family at risk. So, I ask the question? What is more important? Daily driver or eliminating that towing "risk" once a year?

Personally, that one time a year tow, for a safe, sound, dependable, trouble free experience, knowing the equipment being used is MORE, much MORE than just "so-so" and "hope it's really ok under a load and my family will be OK" is something that is far more important (to me) than just saving a few dollars as a run-around vehicle. That ONE time you tow, and maybe the very first time you tow, may be a disaster. That is no compensation or excuse to attempting to go cheap. (meaning the less expensive way).

This is exactly why I say over and over on these forums:

โ€œYou really need to think in terms of what is the ultimate extreme usage you'll be experiencing with your truck, not what is the lightest usage and hope it's OK when the extreme happens."

Now, you decide? Which is more important? And no one can make that decision but you.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I'll agree with your Dad that you don't need a diesel to tow the weights you mentioned and amount of towing you'll do. If you go with 3.4T I think the only gears are 4.10 gears with the 6L 6 spd auto. Towing capacity of 14,800 lb. Gas mileage will usually be under 15 MPG.

The new 1.2T has towing up to 12,800 and with the 5.3L would get much better mileage as a daily driver (16 city, and up to 22 highway). Also can get 3.42 or 3.73 gears.

I had a 1/2T 5.3L 4 spd auto and 3.73 gears and it towed fine. But once I bought trailers over my 12K tow rating I swapped it in for my current 3/4T CC 4x4 6.0L 6 spd auto and 4.10's