cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! Wheelchair carrier hitched to TT???

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. I'm a newb to RVing, and the forum. I have 15+ years experience towing automobiles as well as some experience with towing TTs. I have been recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (M.S.) and intermittently require the use of my power wheel chair. I'm having difficulty deciding how to transport my chair. I have concerns using my hitch mounted "tilt ramp" wheelchair carrier on the REAR of my 28', dual axle TT. Both weight balancing concerns as well as bottoming out on driveways, dips, etc. Carrying it in the bed of my truck is an option, though the 360lbs the chair weighs (EMPTY weight) is also concerning bringing it down a potentially unsteady and HEAVY ramps (I have limited Mobility and strength also due to the M.S.). Any thoughts, or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm 37 years old and find myself in INVOLUNTARY retirement due to this GD DISEASE! Therefore, I have an EXTREMEMLY LIMITED budget. If anyone can share their experience with a hitch mounted, extra storage "shelf" (can't think of the item's name) on the rear of a TT, I'd appreciate it.
Dave Allen
NOTHING to it but to DO IT!
21 REPLIES 21

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make Toy haulers with a smaller front mounted side loading garage. Maybe it would be affordable to trade into one of those.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
ai.woodworking wrote:
Hello all. I'm a newb to RVing, and the forum. I have 15+ years experience towing automobiles as well as some experience with towing TTs. I have been recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (M.S.) and intermittently require the use of my power wheel chair. I'm having difficulty deciding how to transport my chair. I have concerns using my hitch mounted "tilt ramp" wheelchair carrier on the REAR of my 28', dual axle TT. Both weight balancing concerns as well as bottoming out on driveways, dips, etc. Carrying it in the bed of my truck is an option, though the 360lbs the chair weighs (EMPTY weight) is also concerning bringing it down a potentially unsteady and HEAVY ramps (I have limited Mobility and strength also due to the M.S.). Any thoughts, or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm 37 years old and find myself in INVOLUNTARY retirement due to this GD DISEASE! Therefore, I have an EXTREMEMLY LIMITED budget. If anyone can share their experience with a hitch mounted, extra storage "shelf" (can't think of the item's name) on the rear of a TT, I'd appreciate it.

While the heaviest duty power WC can weigh 350 to 400lbs the normal every day ones are in the 150 to 250 lbs range. I would recommend installing a front receiver and getting a folding platform with ramp to transport your wheelchair. Both front receivers and the better platforms can hold up to 500lbs, but I would limit your weight to around 1/2 of that. I typically carry my ECV which with batteries weights around 175lbs with a front receiver and platform/ramp system on my Van.

With a pickup and a non 5er RV I think the best and easiest system would be an in bed power lift. It might not be the cheapest, but IMO when dealing with issues like this you will find cost is not the real driving or most important factor.

Larry

Thank you, Larry. Another good idea (front hitch). My chair does actually weigh 362 lbs. It has additional hydraulics for tilting, reclining and leg lift. The chair was delivered with itemized weight documents from the manufacturer due to it's customization to my physical needs. I was told by the rep to use those specifications for transportation issues like this.
Dave Allen

ai_woodworking
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Have you thought about a "toy hauler" camper? With the big ramp in the back?

A Toy Hauler would be ideal, but unfortunately a $904 monthly income (NOT a typo!) places it WELL out of my reach. Kinda stuck with what I have. Even the lift (which is a GREAT IDEA, by the way!) will take me a while to save up for. Perhaps I can find a used one. I was already pretty sure hitching the chair carrier on the TT was a troubling idea. Thanks all! Any other thoughts are still appreciated!
Dave Allen

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
ai.woodworking wrote:

While the heaviest duty power WC can weigh 350 to 400lbs the normal every day ones are in the 150 to 250 lbs range. I would recommend installing a front receiver and getting a folding platform with ramp to transport your wheelchair. Both front receivers and the better platforms can hold up to 500lbs, but I would limit your weight to around 1/2 of that. I typically carry my ECV which with batteries weights around 175lbs with a front receiver and platform/ramp system on my Van.

With a pickup and a non 5er RV I think the best and easiest system would be an in bed power lift. It might not be the cheapest, but IMO when dealing with issues like this you will find cost is not the real driving or most important factor.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought about a "toy hauler" camper? With the big ramp in the back?

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm very sorry to hear about your health, at the same time, admire your desire to continue to move forward with a positive attitude.

I would install a lift in the bed of the truck. I would not fabricate anything on the TT.
A 350# chair is heavy and would need extensive welding to build framework to safely support that kind of weight on a TT.
It would off balance the TT on the rear or add too much TW in front of the TT.
IF...i had to fabricate something that is used on a public highway, i would speak to a D.O.T. certified welder to learn your options and your liability.
I think using the truck is your best option because the trucks bed is a solid platform that is normally used to transport cargo, opposed to (you) fabricating something on a TT .

I would lift and lower it using a crane not a ramp. There are many lifts made today, research them.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/hoists-cranes/cranes-pickup-truck-jib/manual-lif...

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
360 lbs plus another 100 in ramp and frame strengthening on the back of a TT is going to take you to the scene of the accident...not enough tongue weight. A 12V winch on a boom in the back of the PU is what I'd use.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...